MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Mac Built-in Audio Ports, Problem with audio ports
mfro
posté ven. 19 juil. 2002, 20:51
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 19 juil. 02
Lieu : La - US
Membre no 6,053

hi

this is probably a dumb and somewhat obsolete question but nonetheless:

I've been recording into my BW G3 into Pro Tools Free through the built-in sound input which works fine except that I have to pull the jack halfway out (to the ring I suppose) to get the full signal or, in some cases, a stereo signal. If it's in all the way I only get a partial signal that sounds like half of the audio is cut out. I've spent hours of internet searching but haven't been able to dig up much info, other than it may have something to do with Apples' plaintalk technology. I'm using 1/8" to 1/8" cables from radio shack with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter on one end to go into my mixing board.Since the jack is practically hanging out of the input the tiniest bump or pull disengages the signal making it really hard to get anything done. I tried the griffin imic as a solution but couldn't get it to work properly with Pro Tools free.

Anyone know what is going on?

thanks much
mfro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s) (1 - 3)
kaboombahchuck
posté ven. 19 juil. 2002, 22:42
Message #2

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Chandler - US
Membre no 2,003

Hi mfro
Sounds like you have one of 2 problems:

1 You are actually plugging into the mic in and not audio in (sometimes the simplest of mistakes cause the largest problems)

2 The plug is diffective on the mac.

Next time you are checking it out, see if when you pan on the mixing board, the sound goes side to side on the sound out of the mac. If not then you are recording in mono. This means the plug is diffective.

At any rate, sounds like a good excuse to get a new sound card.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 19 juil. 2002, 23:30
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

For me it seems Mr mfro uses the plaintalk mic input to record… the trouble is the wiring is a bit bizarre… as one of the tip or ring is used for POWERING the mic…

(can't remember the wiring, but you should find it on the net in mac ressources, make a custom cable in mono and go smile.gif

Just in case the 2nd option of kaboom is right… then… you know what you have to do

(this recording will destroy itself in 7 seconds) blink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
macrulzman
posté sam. 20 juil. 2002, 21:27
Message #4

Inscrit : 15 juil. 02
Lieu : Charlotte - US
Membre no 5,822

That's correct. The B&W's have plaintalk inputs, but they are supposed to act dually as powered plaintalk mic inputs and stereo line inputs, which mine does. Sometimes the cable can make a difference. If all else fails, do what I did when my built-in audio out died: get a Griffin iMic USB audio in/out. It's worked flawlessly for me; no latency, no slowdown, nothing negative. Give it a try. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 7 juin 2024, 18:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008