MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cpu Usage Vs Audio Quality, audio degradation in native systems
bjkiwi
posté dim. 6 oct. 2002, 02:43
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 août 02
Lieu : Sydney - AU
Membre no 6,491

has anyone noticed the sonic integrity of their audio tracks degrade as the cpu is made 2 work harder? Obviously if the cpu max's out it hits a brick wall and dies but is there a difference between, say, only using 25% of your cpu (maybe a couple of compressors) and 75-80% (bringing in those reverbs!)? Like, the audio quality is inversely proportional to the cpu usage.
I've often wondered whether there's a trade off in audio quality (reading and processing the audio off the hard drive) to get more plug-in's going.
Sometimes I think I've heard the sound 'soften' or lose it's edge or transparency and depth as the cpu meter winds up.
I'm interested if anyone has pondered the same question, noticed any difference, or knows the answer.
I'm running Cubase 5.0r2 on a G3 400 with waves plug-ins. (I know it's old and slow but I've got it humming quite nice...a bit like old motorbikes, they just need some attention and understanding, but I digress.)
thanks..Bjkiwi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deleted
posté dim. 6 oct. 2002, 13:00
Message #2

SuperHero

Groupe : Banned
Inscrit : 24 févr. 02
Membre no 3,562

I think it really depends on how the sequencer deals with tasks, ie how it prioritizes things.
For example, Digital Performer prioritize audio and MIDI playback, to the detriment of the user interface (scrolling, user interface responses, and the such). If DP can't send MIDI/audio reliably, an error message occurs, and everything stops...
I'm not using Cubase anymore (since i sold my old boosted Atari falcon030), but IIRC, it (before SX) prioritizes the GUI unsure.gif
Correct me if i'm wrong...

For Logic, anyone?

For Pro Tools, anyone?

;-)

Bye.

+Quote Post
Francois Déchery
posté ven. 29 nov. 2002, 14:37
Message #3

Webmaster
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Admin
Inscrit : 29 oct. 00
Lieu : Sommieres - FR
Membre no 11

Protools TDM never degrade audio-quality , because all processes are done in the cards.
For LE users or TDM users using RTAS, protools let you chose the max CPU that can be used for processing, letting power for the rest. anyway, the protools always prioritize the audio/midi, doing a DAE error if there is something it cant process in-time.
I really prefer softwares to behave like that rather than degrading audio-quality without letting you know about it...
Cubase don't (did not tried on SX)

--------------------
Soif, MacMusic Webmaster

440Software, our new audio software directory

440Software, notre nouveau site sur les logiciels audio pour Mac, PC et iPhone/iPad

+Quote Post
Teiwaz
posté sam. 30 nov. 2002, 09:47
Message #4

Inscrit : 30 oct. 02
Lieu : Los Angeles - US
Membre no 8,882

It's true that TDM doesn't degrade audio in the slightest, you just hit a brick wall and can't enable any more channels of I/O or plug-ins, when you run out of DSP on the PCI cards. Unfortunately, with TDM, I have discovered that I run out of DSP steam way faster than I do on the ASIO/VST system...
huh.gif

The situation is rather different on ASIO/VST/RTAS; experiencing a sort of "fizziness" and a softening of dynamic range when approaching the max CPU load on the host Mac's processor.
blink.gif

I find that in this situation I just bounce my virtual instruments (well, maybe just a few - the most CPU hungry ones like Battery, Absynth or Stylus) to hard disk and then run them as audio tracks. On a dual 1Ghz Mac this gives up to, in some cases, a good 60% of DSP power back to the CPU!
biggrin.gif

And then, a great deal of the compressor/reverb/eq/etc tasks are taken care of by the UAD-1 card's powered plug-ins - this configuration takes a great deal of stress off the Mac's processor too...

Of course, I do realise that I am kind of lucky to be the owner of a fast mac with a UAD-1 card, and that slower machines are more tricky when running large amounts of audio/instruments.

When bouncing an instrument to disk, I always solo the instrument that's being bounced, so that I have plenty of CPU reserve to ensure optimum audio quality during the bounce.

Also, I never actually record audio on the ASIO/VST mac. I record audio separately on a TDM based mac, so I can be sure of optimum record quality at all times. I feel that if I were forced to overdub & record additional audio tracks in a song that was already running hot on the CPU on the ASIO/VST system, that this would compromise the quality of the audio source actually being recorded.

I feel fortunate enough to be running dual systems...this provides flexibility and assurance of audio quality (both systems run Logic and are synchronized together, and I never have any major system problems (touch wood!)

cool.gif

--------------------
Nobody can take from you what you give freely.

+Quote Post
Francois Déchery
posté sam. 30 nov. 2002, 16:10
Message #5

Webmaster
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Admin
Inscrit : 29 oct. 00
Lieu : Sommieres - FR
Membre no 11

Separating macs: one for TDM and one for virtual instruments was also my choice: The choice of stability and power wink.gif

Dont expect your CPU to play instruments (with polyphony) and many tracks at the same time without many problems (audio quality, clicks, crashes, slow graphics...)

We have to wait for the G6 to make this dream true. tongue.gif

--------------------
Soif, MacMusic Webmaster

440Software, our new audio software directory

440Software, notre nouveau site sur les logiciels audio pour Mac, PC et iPhone/iPad

+Quote Post
Teiwaz
posté dim. 1 déc. 2002, 04:40
Message #6

Inscrit : 30 oct. 02
Lieu : Los Angeles - US
Membre no 8,882

Cool, Soif!! cool.gif

One more thing; I slave TDM to the ASIO system, as TDM is better at syncing to MTC/Wordclock than ASIO (if I do it the other way around, odd things can happen to the audio on the ASIO system, such as phenomema like someone is playing with the pitch control on an analog tape machine...!) blink.gif

I guess this is a problem with the 2408MkII's ability to "chase"...

Any ideas on this?

--------------------
Nobody can take from you what you give freely.

+Quote Post
posté lun. 20 janv. 2003, 10:07
Message #7

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

REMEMBER "LESS IS MORE" biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
add9
posté lun. 20 janv. 2003, 20:26
Message #8

Inscrit : 30 juil. 02
Lieu : Oslo - NO
Membre no 6,388

No,
"LESS IS BORE"

I used to be on ProTools and TDM. Those were the days sad.gif
Now I am (without my boyfriend and) on ASIO and I am fighting with the CPU everyday.
Well, life isn't that bad...

"Don't tell me what it's all about. Cause I've been there and I'm glad I'm out..."

--------------------
"It said Windows 2000 or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"

+Quote Post
posté lun. 20 janv. 2003, 23:04
Message #9

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

A man is only as good as his "or her's" tools, but......efficiency with one's given gift's can yield dramatic results!

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
posté mar. 21 janv. 2003, 12:16
Message #10

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Chandler - US
Membre no 2,003

This is why I use all external effects, EQing, compresion, ect. My computer is just a multi track recorder/midi sequencer/mixdown/production tool. biggrin.gif

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 18 sept. 2024, 22:44
- © 440 Forums 2011