MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Logic 7 Shaft.
mhues
posté sam. 9 oct. 2004, 23:21
Message #21

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 juil. 04
Lieu : Franklin - US
Membre no 47,438

FOR ALL THOSE THAT TRY TO EQUATE HADWARE vs SOFTWARE ARGUMENT...

I would merely like to say that it costs apple $1.50-$2.00 approx. in packaging and manufacturing to put out a CD software.
You cannot say the same thing about a computer and so it is obvious they cannot upgrade someone who bought a computer 1 month before.
For apple who takes such pride in their hardware and has such a minority share in the users market of computers, I would think that customer service would be the thing they valued most. Aparrently not....No wonder emagic website disappeared. The owners cashed in and probably ran to some resort island. I guess They knew what was coming....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aptmunich
posté dim. 10 oct. 2004, 10:21
Message #22

Rookie

Inscrit : 02 avril 04
Lieu : Gutild - DE
Membre no 40,050

"FOR ALL THOSE THAT TRY TO EQUATE HADWARE vs SOFTWARE ARGUMENT...
...."

In case you were referring to my post, I was not equating hardware to software, I was merely pointing out that apple has a history of doing this and that it is important to take precautions BEFORE buying 1000$ software...

I don't buy anything computer related, be it hardware or software, without trying to find out when an update is likely...

Very few software makers are very generous when it comes to updating recent buyers...

Ce message a été modifié par aptmunich - dim. 10 oct. 2004, 10:23.

+Quote Post
prrlxndrtrmbl
posté dim. 10 oct. 2004, 14:38
Message #23

Inscrit : 01 nov. 03
Lieu : Montréal - CA
Membre no 27,987

QUOTE (aptmunich @ Oct 10 2004, 09:21)
I don't buy anything computer related, be it hardware or software, without trying to find out when an update is likely...

[and]

Very few software makers are very generous when it comes to updating recent buyers...

First thing, we do it too. But the findings are not really relevant all the time, especially around Apple...

[...]

And the very few makers are the one who cares about their custumer. I'm seriously thinking of switching to dp4.5... and they offer differents scheme of upgrade, sensitive of the version you upgrade from, and when you bought it. Cycling 74 is doing that also...

I work on my soft at least 10 hours a day, so I can call myself a pro user, and I respect compagnies that respect me. And professional users don't have 2 hours a day to look on the net to find the only gossip about the next upgrade that is true. When I ordered my copy in July, I was about 6 months old news that Apple would release a FREE upgrade, and that is why so much people bought confidently.

And I think Apple will now learn the real meaning of the word 'Switch'

pa

+Quote Post
Fields
posté dim. 10 oct. 2004, 16:41
Message #24

Rookie

Inscrit : 04 janv. 04
Lieu : ALISO VIEJO - US
Membre no 32,398

That's precisely the issue, Apple does not communicate about new software at all. No formal press releases, the only thing available on the web about LP7 were rumors.

I asked a customer service rep at Apple about new products and when they are informed of them, he said, "When I get to work and turn the computer on at my desk, that's when I find out about new products" (meaning, when he sees the apple.com site, that's when he learns of new products).

I should have bought Nuendo or DP4.5, think I will...

Ce message a été modifié par Fields - dim. 10 oct. 2004, 16:41.

--------------------
G5, Dual 2.0GHz, 2GHz RAM, 250G HD
G4 PowerBook, 400MHz, 640MB RAM, 10G HD
P4, 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 40G HD

DP4, Cubase SX2, Live 3, Reason 2.5
Peak, Cool Edit Pro, Recycle

+Quote Post
B3 Basher
posté sam. 16 oct. 2004, 11:45
Message #25

Inscrit : 28 sept. 04
Lieu : Surrey - UK
Membre no 52,008

Q- Do all the competitors provide free upgrades within a, say, 3 month period of a new release date? Are Cubase SX2 owners who bought recently getting a free upgrade to SX3?

--------------------
________________--==:: Watch The Skies ::==--________________
- DVD soundtracking <> Scoring <> Composition <> Production <> ReMixing -

+Quote Post
Drainland
posté sam. 16 oct. 2004, 18:11
Message #26

Inscrit : 15 mars 03
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 14,405

Hi everyone,

somehow I see the upgrade from Logic 6 plat to pro more of a rip off in the sense that it was a stop gap when they knew pro 7 was in development and on the horizon anyway. I feel like Apple sat there and thought how they could get 2 lots of upgrade money out of users for the price of one. No one in their right mind wouldn't have fancied the upgreade from 6 plat to pro to get all those plug-ins. I jumped at the idea. But paying out the £200 for this doesn't seem as worth while to me. For a start although the new plug ins sound nice - for me plug ins are great - but not the be all and end all of a recording system. But there doesn't seem to be anything as eye opening here as the "freeze" function was when it was introduced.

I asked sound technology about the differences between 6 and 7 and they said that essentially it was down to the plug-ins. My main concern was that the audio quality or midi resolution wasn't any better and they said no. I know there are a few other enhancments here and there which sound quite cool, but considering I would probably have to upgrade from my 1Ghz G4 to run the plugs properly I think I'll wait til Logic 8 and get the upgrade then. I'm also still on OSX 10.2.8 which I like and I don't fancy all the mess around upgrading the OS either. So by the time Logic 8 is out I'll probably need to buy a new Mac by then anyway. And hopefully I won't have to pay out anymore for the upgrade than I would now, like Logic 5 users don't have to pay anymore than 6 users. And maybe Logic 8 might really have something going for it to make me excited!

I understand the desire to automatically upgrade your software when something new comes out, but from my point of view I come from the multitrack tape and mixer era where upgrading wasn't an option. Logic Pro 6, as it stands, is an amazing recording system that I could have once only dreamed of owning when I first started recording 20 years ago. If I can't get good results using that at the heart of my recording set-up, then there is something wrong we with my ability to produce music.

I don't have a problem paying out the £200, constantly forking out money for this that or the other goes hand in hand with this rather expensive hobby. But for me it's not a "must have" and is not worth the hassle it will be for me - especially looking at this from the point of view that I've only just got my head around logic 6!

Let's all keep out fingers crossed for Logic 8! wink.gif

(sorry for long post!)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 12 oct. 2024, 20:29
- © MacMusic 1997-2008