MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live 2.01 Impressions, or "ableton listens, users rejoice"
charlieb
posté sam. 28 déc. 2002, 02:19
Message #21

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 nov. 02
Membre no 9,620

Thanx Wonx,
I am going to give the address a try.

charlie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté sam. 28 déc. 2002, 07:01
Message #22

Inscrit : 10 août 02
Lieu : Rimghobb - UA
Membre no 6,734

QUOTE (charlieb @ Dec 27 2002, 05:11)
Seems to me that I will wind up getting
Live 2; Reason 2; either a Radium or a Edirol PCR-50; and maybe Band in a Box as well.

That will enable you to do a hell of a lot, but I do want to give you a couple of caveats:

1. If and when you do decide to add a more full-featured sequencer than Reason's, one possible bright spot on the horizon, especially for home/project studios, is Metro for OS X, which is already shipping as an upgrade to registered users of the OS 9.x versions. From their sketchy web site information it looks like that upgrade period will be over sometime in January and hopefully the program will be officially released to the public then. It seems to promise a lot of the power of the giants looming over it, at least under OS X, and it traditionally--in 9.x--had a lower price point. When Metro was a MIDI-only sequencing program, it was excellent at what it did--though it did take a different approach to some things than other similar programs. (I'm not saying it was worse or inadequate at all, just different.) Anyway, I'd keep an eye on it if I were you as a possible, because it also supports 64 tracks of audio now (with advertised support for audio units, VST, etc. under OS X) in addition to its very flexible and powerful MIDI sequencing/editing capabilities...

2. BIAB "works" as a Classic application under OS X--sort of. It has *severe* timing issues in playback, though, with QuickTime 5.x or greater if you're running it from OS X. Their brilliant "solutions": either boot into OS 9.x to use it, or DOWNGRADE to QuickTime 4.x. (Riiiiiiiiiiighhhhhht.) blink.gif laugh.gif Hopefully they'll get around to fixing this, but they have always been so PeeCee oriented that you never know when they're going to get back around to dusting off whatever Mac they use for development. You can plan yourself some sessions, though, boot into 9.x, run it and create a little batch of .mid files, then go back into OS X and munge them there. If you do decide to get it, I highly recommend that you look over their add-on packages of "styles" and "soloists," find a few that seem to have the kinds of music that you would use most, and get those to augment the ones that come standard with the program. (Yeah, they, too, sell razors in order to sell razor blades. Who doesn't?) Also, while the developers bray on and on about how easy it is, the program is about as intuitive to manage as bra hooks in the back seat on a cold and moonless night: you might end up needing a little help. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté sam. 28 déc. 2002, 07:48
Message #23

Inscrit : 10 août 02
Lieu : Rimghobb - UA
Membre no 6,734

QUOTE (wonx @ Dec 27 2002, 07:04)
Levon,

I'd love to hear this NN-XT drum kit I've been hearing about. Do you have a tune we could down load?

wonx, there's no one drum kit I've been using in the NN-XT(s) for the various projects I've been experimenting with in Reason; in some cases I've had several NN-XTs set up for different kicks, snares, toms, cymbals, etc.--depending on the tune. I generally use the NN-XT because I mostly like to use drum patches that have multiple velocity layers, and I can adjust the velocity switching and even assign velocity randomizing or cross-fading in the NN-XT. In only one case, I think, did I use a pre-fabbed kit (one of the Wizoo Platinum sets, IIRC--I can check), but even then I duplicated that track/NN-XT and edited the copy for just the kick, so I could separately EQ the kick, since it was muddying up the mix a bit and fighting with the frequencies of a stand-up bass patch.

As for a tune you could download, unfortunately the projects I've been doing with this have been OPMs (Other People's Music laugh.gif ), and I don't have any okay to circulate it. sad.gif I'm happy to load one, though, erase the song information, and use the same loaded patches to create a short little sample song you could listen to. (Maybe I'll use BIAB to just generate a tune from scratch, load whatever that turns out to be into Reason, and let 'er rip. biggrin.gif ) I don't know where I'd put it so you could download it, but I'll see what I can conjure up as soon as I can carve out a little time here in the hectic holidays. Stay "tuned"...

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wonx
posté lun. 30 déc. 2002, 08:52
Message #24

Rookie

Inscrit : 24 sept. 02
Lieu : Lander - US
Membre no 7,879

Levon- That would be swell if you could throwsomething together. I'd love to hear a kit that can fool the pros. The possibility of developing an almost-human drummer I can put at my fingertips and tweek with the subtlest turn of a knob sounds dreamy.

After several months of playing with the Reason demo Santa took pitty on me a brought me the full version. Not only that but I was such a good boy that he stuffed a oxy 8, Live 2.0 and and a Duo in my stocking as well. Looking forward to scrapping my proprietary gear and finaly graduating completely to the Mac

Happy Trails

-wonx

+Quote Post
Myerzman
posté mer. 23 avril 2003, 02:29
Message #25

Inscrit : 08 févr. 03
Lieu : Pasadena - US
Membre no 11,694

YO!
What a great thread. I'm looking at both Reason 2 and Live 2, but have a couple questions. I love playing with samples, but I'm mostly going to be recording live guitar and vocals too. Would these two programs be compatable with Pro Tools? I've been playing with Shareware live, could I import one of those creations to Pro Tools as just one track or something? And what exactly does reason do, can I think of it as just a program with many rack effects? It doesn't do vocals or live recording does it? Would just Live and Protools let me do some live recording, some good backup beats, and some techno stuff?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 9 mai 2024, 22:33
- © MacMusic 1997-2008