MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 With Ibm Chips
manexmachina
posté lun. 24 févr. 2003, 07:07
Message #31

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 09 févr. 03
Lieu : Burbank - US
Membre no 11,875

i'm a little late chiming in here.... but the IBM based cpu's will not see your home until 2004 if you're planning on buying one. If they are any sooner, that will shock a lot of people who are usually "in the know."

most likely a late 2003 announcement, and an early 2004 delivery. Personally, I'd look at what you can get right now and figure you could sell and upgrade in a year. The most important life of a computer is the first six months because after that, it's power has been diminished already by the new ones that have come out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmax
posté lun. 24 févr. 2003, 08:29
Message #32

Inscrit : 27 oct. 02
Lieu : Stockholm - SE
Membre no 8,809

One thing to keep in mind is that the G5 chip will be 64 bit. That means that no software existing today will be able to run on it, everything will have to be re-written. I would go ahead and get a G4 machine.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté lun. 24 févr. 2003, 16:53
Message #33

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

cool.gif

The beauty of the IBM chip is that it can run 32bit code natively, apps will not have to recoded to work. Probably will need a 64bit OS.

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
hjvk
posté ven. 28 févr. 2003, 02:25
Message #34

Inscrit : 12 févr. 03
Lieu : Spanaway - US
Membre no 12,130

You should just be patient.The G5 will have 1/3 of the PC owners switching to a MAC.........guaranteed! That's why Apple is taking their time, after the debut of the G5s their market share's going to double! Tha G5s specs are trully mouthwatering. I'm just going to put Mach 5 on my dual 1 GIG and upgrade to the G5 for DP OS X...........Finally, 1 hardware mfg, 1 software mfg, I can't wait, truly power computing utopia! That's all I'll ever need!

+Quote Post
trippinginthefal...
posté ven. 25 avril 2003, 21:18
Message #35

Inscrit : 24 avril 03
Lieu : Ft. Lauderdale - US
Membre no 16,703

PC Users are constantly getting new CPUs/Motherboards to keep up. This goes into the TCO, or total cost of ownership.

I chose to get a Mac for the studio because of OS X, and because the TCO for a Mac is much less. You should find using it to be intuitive enough that you wont feel the need for upgrade unless you are keeping up with the Jones' or playing video games.

Just like someone said before, new releases of Applications tend to be more efficient on Macs. The same can't always be said for PC software.

I visited a place called Mac Center, before I bought my mac. I just wanted to see them in person, understand what all the fuss was about.

If you havent actually touched a MDD Powermac, you are missing out. Its like the computer equivalent to Fine Crystal.

Scotty

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté dim. 4 mai 2003, 11:00
Message #36

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

I just thought I'd inject a little pessimistic note - much as I enjoy enthusiasm in people.

On IBM G5-chips/970-chips in future macs.

1) PC-users switching in droves to Mac - forget it aint gonna happen.
( such decisions are market-driven and has very little to do with technological excellence )

2) Enormous speedboosts in endusers homecomputers - forget it has never happened yet.
( all available resources for computers/users tend to be used to the max )

10 years ago when I started my work as sysadmin at our dept we bought
25 brand-new PC:s 486 DX-II machines with 8MB ram 170Mb WD harddrives.
They ran Windows 3.11. They were the fastest standard pc:s at the time. In fact they still are today.
Usaul everday tasks like starting applications saving documents copying
files etc. DONT go any faster 'cause files are bigger, we have fancy graphical interfaces with code-bloat, the list goes on.
Higer bandwith networks gets clogged because of higher bandwith demand from users et al.

I have personally had Mac SE-30, Powermac 6100, iMac G3-Bondi Blue Rev-B, iMac G4-flatpanel 700 and iMac flatpanel 800. I dont notice any -- real practical -- difference in speed.

This said - well we all need to dream and hope a little, - no great harm in that.
Keep smiling: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
bilhep
posté lun. 5 mai 2003, 09:29
Message #37

Inscrit : 16 mars 03
Lieu : Apple Valley - US
Membre no 14,425

dixiechicken said:
>I have personally had Mac SE-30, Powermac 6100, iMac G3-Bondi Blue Rev-B, iMac G4-flatpanel 700 and iMac flatpanel 800. I dont notice any -- real practical -- difference in speed.
<

Well...

Care to go back to that SE-30? :-) Talk about agony! My first Mac was the 61/60 PPC. I bought the G3 beige because the 61/60 failed. Turned out to be the internal battery. I gave it to my dad. When I go to try it out it is slow that I'm happy to have moved on.

I completely agree with you about how improvements that should have led to speed improvement gave way to some of the other goodies we now take for granted, like incredible resolution and great color and, as we here know, fantastic sound!

You can hear some of my work-in-progress at
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/544/will_adam.html

Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté lun. 5 mai 2003, 16:20
Message #38

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

Ahh yes it really brings back sweet memories.

Playing "Beyond Dark Castle" the game was on two double sided 800K discs
in glorious 2bit color - black and white.

Our brilliant talkative hero all the time grunting
forward neanderthal speechlike sounds like - oughh, iieeyy - and the like.

Well of course I wouldnt, all things considered, like to return to former times.
My point simply beeing that in practical terms various possible speed benefits,
almost all the time gets eaten up up by other factors - some I briefly touched upon.

As an end user you are all too often left with a slightly letdown feeling after all the
promised hype -- " Well is that ALL there is to it?" - as it were.

Full speed ahead: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 16 mai 2024, 21:08
- © MacMusic 1997-2008