MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Gettin' Started, What software is good for starters
monkeyman
posté ven. 22 nov. 2002, 13:28
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 nov. 02
Lieu : HK
Membre no 9,440

I am interested in creating music and would love to start creating more again. However, I don't have much software. I am mostly interested in electronic music, and don't really see the possibility of the need to use real instruments. Therefore, can anyone recommend a decent starting point. I have heard of a software program called Reason. Would this be seen as the best piece of software for an electronically focused musician ?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté ven. 22 nov. 2002, 14:13
Message #2

Inscrit : 10 août 02
Lieu : Rimghobb - UA
Membre no 6,734

Reason is outstanding. It gives you both: samplers for "all your real-world instrument needs," and soft-synthesizers for that "playin' the air-diode" thang, plus a sequencer of sorts. And its Redrum module can play all the chee-zee 808 and 909 patches you can throw at it, all at the requisite 4-times the speed that any actual human player could approach. It will also provide you with the electronic perfect absence of dynamics required for any electronic drum fill. biggrin.gif

Native Instruments also has softsynths with lots of horses under the hood, all of which can be used as VST instruments or standalone. Definitely visit their web site.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
karambos
posté sam. 23 nov. 2002, 07:45
Message #3

Rookie

Inscrit : 30 avril 01
Lieu : München - DE
Membre no 492

monkeyman,

I can't admit to having personally experienced ALL that is out there but I've been producing my own stuff now for about 3 years (purely as a hobby - nothing professional) and I work with guys who do adverts for local German television and radio so I hope this qualifies me somewhat to make some remarks here.

I was utterly clueless at the beginning and asked everyone I knew about what to get. Basically what I learned was: use Logic if you've got a mac and Cubase if you've got a PC but everyone advised me against a PC just because they cause so many problems. I'm so glad I got that advice. I've got Reason and Acid too but I never use them (shelfware) because Logic is so much more flexible. It's also a bugger to learn so don't expect to install Logic and be making music straight away. Give yourself a good, and I mean a good, 6 months.

Having said that, if you just want to make pumping house, with no real instruments (i.e no audio) then all you need is something like Reason or Propellerheads' Rebirth or Fruity Loops. Of these, go for Fruity Loops because it's cheap and once you've bought it you get upgrades free for life.

Just remember: the most important step is deciding what you want to do with your gear. And this includes considering what you'll be doing in 2 years' time. It's like buying a mobile telphone - at first you're like "I only need it to receive calls when I'm out of the house. I'll never use it to make calls myself" and three weeks later it's "Hello? Is that Call-a-pizza? I'd like a ......." You know?

karambos

--------------------
Waiting on my new MacBook Pro

+Quote Post
monkeyman
posté lun. 25 nov. 2002, 03:21
Message #4

Inscrit : 21 nov. 02
Lieu : HK
Membre no 9,440

Thanks for the advice from both of you. Much appreciated and very helpful.

Cheers... smile.gif

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté mer. 27 nov. 2002, 12:39
Message #5

Rookie

Inscrit : 27 nov. 02
Membre no 9,620

In a similar vein to the leading question in this thread.
What I would like to do is create background music for hypnotic inductions, and other background music to play when people are practicing various exercises. Basically I am looking for an ambient kind of sound, and would not need to much in the way of "real instruments" effects.
I want to create some tracks on my computer using software only if possible and no hardware (again, if possible), and then be able to burn these tracks onto a CD so they can be played on a portable CD player.
Oh, and one thing more <g>
I would also like to add my voice to some of the tracks once the tracks are made.
What would I need in total?
I want to go for a easy to use solution that is flexible, and without too steep a learning curve, like the six months mentioned for Logic.
Currently I am using a Mac Powerbook and system 9.2.2

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Charlie

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté mer. 27 nov. 2002, 14:58
Message #6

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

Fruity Loops is only for PC, yes?

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté mer. 27 nov. 2002, 15:32
Message #7

Inscrit : 10 août 02
Lieu : Rimghobb - UA
Membre no 6,734

QUOTE (charlieb @ Nov 27 2002, 11:39)
What I would like to do is create background music for hypnotic inductions

You may want to try the APA's forums for tips on how to use music on people.

+Quote Post
Presto
posté mer. 27 nov. 2002, 16:21
Message #8

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 24 mars 02
Lieu : Entre-Deux-Mers - FR
Membre no 3,984

There are sofware solutions for the sounds which don't need 6 months learning before you get going, but somebody else will have to advise you.

If you want to record voice you'll need some hardware.

Personally, I use protools for audio and I got started immediately. Its not renowned for its midi capabilities but you should be able to do without midi. Protools Free can be downloaded from www.digidesign.com

If you had an analogue/digital converter such as the Griffin Imic (around 60$) you could probably take sounds (mono out) from a friends keyboard.

I do have an Imic usb A/D converter but before trying it with my keyboard, I gave up when the microphone recordings sounded awful. This was probably because I didn't have a pre-amplifier for the mic.

As I need very good quality for mic inputs and didn't want to spend too much money, I got an Mbox from digidesign (around 600$). It provides 48V phantom power for 2 mics, a preamp, and a much better A/D converter. ProTools LE comes with it and it works fine on OS9. Sounds from keyboards, mic recordings - with this you could do it all. If you have a usb plug in your powerbook, and a CD/R drive, this could be a solution.

Also, wonderful things can be done with plugins. These are extra little apps that plug in to your main app. If you don't want to spend alot, don't think of buying any for protools (you get a few bundled with protools le which aren't too bad). Extra ones would be very good, but you need to be rich. There's one I'd have liked but it costs 600$!!

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté jeu. 28 nov. 2002, 07:20
Message #9

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

Thanks Presto!

So, if I was to record my voice onto a MD and then upload to my computer, adding this as a track would sound bad, and or would there not be a way to add a clip from and MD as a track?

Thanks so much for your time,
charlie

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté jeu. 28 nov. 2002, 07:23
Message #10

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

Hi Levon,
What is an APA forum?

Thanks,
charlie

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 22 sept. 2024, 18:32
- © MacMusic 1997-2008