MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Gettin' Started, What software is good for starters
ryosode
posté dim. 15 déc. 2002, 18:35
Message #21

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 07 nov. 01
Lieu : San Jose - US
Membre no 2,270

BTW, in case someone's interested, this month's MacWorld magazine (Jan 2003) includes a quick break down of OS X Audio technology in a user friendly language. If you are new to this stuff and interested in understanding some of the under the hood stuff, check it out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté dim. 15 déc. 2002, 20:38
Message #22

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

OK, Rysode first! biggrin.gif

You say you can get Live and Reason talking together in OS X? How'd you do that, then? My option is greyed out. If you can give us a quick run through, that would be a big help. As I say, I only tried it for the first time the other day after my conversation with the Steinberg guy (marketing or customer support? They're almost one and the same these days), so if it can be done that would be a revelation.

Cubase SX is definitely ReWire 2 ready - at least, that's what it says on the box. I may be getting a copy soon, so I can check it for real then. Logic's ReWire implementation, meanwhile, seems to have petered out somewhat with version 5.

I agree about Steinberg and VST - it's a shame all the music companies couldn't agree to seize the opportunity to rally around the newer and better Audio Units format with the move to OS X.

Now Charlieb: no problemo with the support or patience! cool.gif

ReWire, as you may have guessed, allows you to hook two or more compatible programs together. The idea is so you can enjoy the major strengths of both in one working environment. Say with Live and Reason: hooked together via ReWire, you can use the rhythms and synths of Reason, then add live audio recorded in Live. Or Reason and Cubase SX: output the synths etc from Reason and use the better sequencer, FX, live audio recording features etc in Cubase to finish your track.

As for your point 2, you seem to have a good handle on it. Most sequencers these days also bundle some sort of soft synth to actually play your tune on as well as the building blocks for constructing the song. So the Logic Big Box has an electric piano, a decent synth and a sample player (note: playback only). Plus you can record your live audio into the sequencer as well. No drum machine, though, so you'd need to use the EXSP for loops. Almost an all-in-one total solution.

Cubase has a drum machine included (pretty basic, but better than a metronome as you build your song up) plus another bass synth and some decent FX. It's almost impossible to decide definitively which sequencer is best - they've all got something special to offer. Personally, I like the fact that Cubase comes with a Vocoder and some other nice FX touches, but I also like Logic's 3 internal synths (they come with Platinum, not sure about Silver - check that out).

So to come full circle, ReWire is just a protocol (designed by Propellerhead Software, who make Reason) to allow two music programs to talk to each other. Basically, every computer musician has their preferred sequencer and then usually an additional collection of software synths and drum machines that "plug-in" (using one method or another - VST, Audio Units, ReWire etc) to the main sequencer, which is where the song is built up from the constituent parts and completed.

Wow, hope that all makes sense. smile.gif

Maybe buy that magazine Rysode mentioned? blink.gif

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté lun. 16 déc. 2002, 04:03
Message #23

Rookie

Inscrit : 27 nov. 02
Membre no 9,620

RICKENBACKER,
Thanks so much. You have helped me a great deal.

I will try January MacWorld as well.

Regards,
charlie

+Quote Post
ryosode
posté lun. 16 déc. 2002, 20:20
Message #24

Membre no 2,270

Let's see what's going on. Here's my setting.

OS X 10.2.2
Live 1.5
Reason 2.0

If I remember correctly (and sorry my memory is very vague here) if you are using earlier version of Live, you may not have the ReWire host option. Since Reason 2.0 is a ReWire client software, you can only run it as a slave to Live. All I have to do is to launch Live, then launch Reason.

Let me know if you need further information.

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 00:55
Message #25

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

Rysode, Rickenbacker, and others,
For someone like me, who is not looking to become a professional in the digital music field, do you think that the combination of Live, Reason, and Rewire, with an Oxygen 8 MIDI control would serve me well?
I have played with the Live demo and it looks pretty easy.
Someone told me that Live was too limited compared to Cubase, and that I would wind up disappointed. Somehow I am not drawn to Cubase, and of course the price is a good deal more.

Thanks for any and all input.

cb

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 04:16
Message #26

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

ANNDDD
In regard to ReWire I am confused now, because I do not see where/how it is sold.
Is it simply an added advantage with PropellerHead products and it is not a separate software package that needs to be bought?

Thanks,
charlie
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ryosode
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 10:43
Message #27

Membre no 2,270

let's see. I am planning on buying a Logic platinum soon, but my current setup is exactly Live and Reason. I use Live with Oxygen8 and Reason with a full-length keyboard as well as Tascam US-428. I love this setting. Those softwares make music making such a painless process.

As for ReWire, no you don't need a separate application. It introduces a system level API for audio softwares to talk to each other. Live is a ReWire host/client application, meaning it can act as a host application to accept ReWire clients (in OS X's case, Reason seems to be the only real Application that can connect to Live) or it can connect to a ReWire host. Anyway, once ReWire host and client are connected (OS level registry of some sort is apparently responsible for the transaction) these applications share not only the audio, but also the transport controls as well (meaning you pressing "Play" button in either appliication causes both applications to play). I don't know the technical details but I've seen some amazing magic happening on my desktop...

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 13:09
Message #28

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Rysode: thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Charlieb: What Rysode says is spot on. If an application (ie Reason) says it's ReWire compatible, it's ready straight out of the box - it's part of the program, so you don't need to buy it.

The Oxygen 8 is a decent keyboard - I've got one myself. I've also got a full-length Midi k/b, as well, but if you don't need that much, the Oxygen 8 is fine. I'd recommend taking a look at the new k/bs from M-Audio (the Radium), or Edirol's new PCR-30 and PCR-50. They're all similar to the Oxygen 8, but one step beyond in terms of added functionality (knobs! sliders! etc!) tongue.gif

Live and Reason are both great programs. For someone starting out, they're ideal and could be all you'd ever need. Live 2.0 (due any day now, apparently) is set to make it more like a regular sequencer, with a multitrack recording section just like Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer etc. The beauty of Live (for me, anyway) is that it's unlike previous sequencers - it seems more "musical". Less fiddling, more grooving. Some people love it, others hate it.

I've also got Logic Platinum, which is very powerful - there's nothing you can't do. Cubase SX I may be getting in a few weeks, which is also pretty comprehensive in terms of music production. But they're both around £500. blink.gif

Judging by your posts so far, I'd say either Live 2.0 + Reason 2.0 (or maybe the Logic Big Box or Cubase SL, the entry-level versions of the Big 2) + a Midi k/b with programmable knobs will set you off down a good path.

Enjoy! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
charlieb
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 14:23
Message #29

Rookie

Membre no 9,620

Thanks so much guys!
I live in Japan, and now I need to find a place that sells the English version of MacWorld.

And one strange thing today-
I downloaded both Live and Reason. Both programs think that I have Virtual Memory on when I don't.
So I went and turned VM on and then restarted, and then I turned VM off and restarted but no joy, both programs still think I have VM on, and thus Reason won't even open.

Any ideas?

cb

+Quote Post
ryosode
posté mar. 17 déc. 2002, 21:33
Message #30

Membre no 2,270

Chalie,

Yes as Rickenbacker mentioned Edirol (Roland in Japan) PCR-30 and PCR-50 are very very cool keyboards. If they had these out before Oxygen 8, I probably bought one. They sell as PCR-30 and PCR-50 in Japan as well. http://www.roland.co.jp/products/dtm/PCR-50.html

Actually, both Live and Reason are purchasable as download, so if you have a broadband access, that's the way to go. (It's cheaper too!) Oh and don't forget if you buy Live 1.5 now, you will get a free upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out. (supposed to be anytime now)

If you do need a place where you can buy English language products, let me know and I'll see if my friends can help you find a store.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 22 sept. 2024, 14:18
- © MacMusic 1997-2008