MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Record With My New Imac
bubblingpeter
posté mer. 10 août 2005, 23:42
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 10 août 05
Lieu : Monfalcone - IT
Membre no 68,637

hi there,
last week i tried the new powerbook g4 of a friend of mine, fell in love with that wonderful creature, i decided to try out a program for guitar from native-instruments (guitarrig),i noticed that worked pretty well and with almost no latency, but the input volume was anyway to low, and when i tried to turn it up the guitar went in orrible feedback.
so i just ordered an iMac g5, that i guess should go way better on prestations, but i really don't know if it's going to work the way i want.
do i need an amplifier for my mixer to get the sound into the computer with a good recording level?
I don't know much about the internal soundcard either.
thanx for your opinions.
greets Pietro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
posté jeu. 11 août 2005, 06:51
Message #2

Inscrit : 17 août 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 48,982

The stereo input on your machine will take line level on a mini jack..with the right lead from your mixer you should get a good level, but it depends on what kind of features your mixer has..Group outputs? Auxilary / Effect sends? Direct outputs?
You may be happy with the sound of this 16 bit stereo input, if you need more quality you will have to buy an ' interface '

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
bubblingpeter
posté jeu. 11 août 2005, 13:13
Message #3

Lieu : Monfalcone - IT
Membre no 68,637

thanx for sharing some idea...
i have a small mixer (without pre-amp) that i plug to the computer with rca cables.
i've always been a windows user, and few years ago i bought a CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER PLATINUM, and i have to say that i never had a problem with it.
the thing that i want now is to write music, record (guitars and voice), and mix it on a better level.
and then i have another question...
trying the guitarrig on the pb g4 i noticed that when it's not on, doesn't come any sound into the computer until i don't open it... how is it possible? do i really need a preamp for my new mac if i want to play without a software?
and in the personal settings, am i able to split the internal mic with the line-in without record them both?it would be awful otherwise..
thanx
ciao

+Quote Post
Psychoprick
posté jeu. 11 août 2005, 16:18
Message #4

Inscrit : 04 août 05
Lieu : Gent - BE
Membre no 68,474

In the System prefferences (the white square with apple logo in your dock) you can select input/output and levels under the sound item. Hope that answers a question.

Further:
For me was my line-in good enough for guitar but absolutely not for a mike. So I had to buy me some gear.
Had some advice in this thread

The built in mic is for speech and is good for that but not for singing etc...

Hope that helps.

--------------------
IMac G5 20" 1GB OSX 10.3.9, Imac G3 400Mhz 512MB OSX 10.2.8

+Quote Post
shawf
posté ven. 12 août 2005, 10:11
Message #5

Lieu : Alphington - AU
Membre no 68,622

Hi all as a general suggestion if you are trying to get guitar into anything be it a computer, mixing console,or interface, i would recommend the use of a DI and or preamp, the DI will turn
your guitar output signal into a balanced signal into your mixer and match the input impedence which will avoid HUM(50 HZ BUZZ).

If you are inputing your guitar into your computer you need to use a preamp there are a few around some with a valve for a warmer sound and that nice valve distortion when you crank it up, it's not like digital distortion, you can record anything in analogue up to about +6db VU go over -12 in digital and you are already running out of head room.

Take care
Flash smile.gif

--------------------
Flash[SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][LIST]
[/LIST]
[FONT=Courier]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 23 sept. 2024, 14:29
- © MacMusic 1997-2008