Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garritan Orchestral Strings
440 Forums > English > Synthesizers > Sound Banks, Samples, Programming
terrywil
Would like to get opinions on the Garritan Orchestral Strings from anyone who might have experience with the package.
fuzzynormal
i just got open my copy a few hours ago. I'll be installing and running the app this evening. I'll let ya know...
krisg
I was disappointed by the sound, comparing to Siedlaczek and Vitous.
file13
i think they are awesome for a small (2 gig) and inexpensive library. it does however take some time to learn to use them. i finally reprogrammed my midi controller to take advantage of all the stuff like the mod wheel which you really need to use for them to come to life--along with some good reverb. also one of it's strong points is that you can build up entire sections instrument by instrument and play each one individually to give it a unique sound. it's more time consuming then using a blanket "8 piece horn section", but the sound is WAY better because you'll have 8 seperatly recorded horns each with different "performances." if you're willing to take the time to learn all the unique features of the lib i'd highly recommend it for the price and size. for more info and questions you may check out their "official" forum here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/u...?ubb=forum;f=18

good luck either way
formatj
I'm not sure everyone is talking about the same library here.

The topic is Garritan Orchestral Strings. Not Garritan Personal Orchestral.

Are you referring to the AKAI (Lite) or GIGA (Advanced Version)?
What software sampler are you planning to use it with? It may make a difference.

I own the Advanced version which is 20 CD-Roms (or 2 DVD's)
It is a great sounding library, lots of articulations and Bowings etc...
I find that it works better in Kontakt than in EXS24 as you have more control over the samples (closer to the Giga version).
It also translates better if you use a program such as CDXtract or Translator.
I own Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra and have heard the Vitous Library and the Garritan Strings is definitely better than those.

I don't own VSL or EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra so I can't compare/contrast with those libraries.

Is there anything specific you would like to know about the library?
file13
QUOTE (formatj @ Mar 2 2004, 07:24)
The topic is Garritan Orchestral Strings. Not Garritan Personal Orchestral.

whoops! my bad! i was referring to GPO. please disregard....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.