Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audio On Second Internal Hd - Too Much Heat ?
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Mac and Peripherals > Hard Drives
Milca
I’m planning to do whole new HD set up on my computer
I have Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 ( early 2005) and I want to buy dual bay “hot-swap” enclosure SeriTek/2N2 with PCI - X card SeriTek/1VE2+2.

The reason for that was that I was gonna use WD raptor 150 GB internally which needs host card with my G5 and also I was gonna RAID O two drives externally for my sample libraries.( I’ve mentioning Firmtek and Firmtek products -( just in a case somebody have them) but it does not really matter - my main question ( which is stated later on in this post ) has more of a general meaning.
Anyways They told me that It would be better to avoid using second internal hard drive ( first one would be the raptor on internal part of 2x2 combo PCI - X card and second one would be seagate barracuda)
and recommended me to go with my audio - “external - SATA ” and reason for that suppose to be AC power (of G5 powermac ) which is not capable in some cases take huge amounts of heat and that “replacing or fixing problem connected with AC power is” apparently not cheap.
Until now I was using only one internal HD as a boot drive - So basically my question is whether they are right about not installing second internal HD into my mac or their advice should actually push me towards buying 4 bay external HD from them ?
I know that a lot o guys are using audio on second internal HD so better stated question would be - “how much audio or even samples are we talking about to over heat g5’s internal highways?”
or another words if I have chance to go with for bay external enclosure for may audio and sample libraries - would that ease “somehow” my My G5 where would be basically only the boot drive with OSX and applications?
Hopefully I did not make that too confusing.
Can anyone please give some input - what would you do in my shoes. I would really appreciate your feed back.
Thanks for your time.
Milan
lepetitmartien
the cooling system is way oversized to handle whatever you put it through (as long as you regularly clean dust coming inside, at least once or twice a year in a normal environment). So it should work fine, and I don't remember a single user here with audio on the second HD in his G5 to have complained…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.