Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewire Hub/repeater
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Mac and Peripherals > Peripherals
ulFo
i am looking for adwise on how to get the most from my macmini setup
since getting the m-audio projectmix and thus being forced to use a firewire hub to split to pm and to lacie external disc, things have been a nightmare (well, not only ...) with repeating kernel panics etc etc and heavy disk crashes and lost files in cubase. before I had the motu828mkII and things worked fine at least when recording 8 tracks which is what I want to do. However now I can only do around 5 tracks before things start mess up. I see the problem is the firwire hub/splitter (its an 3-4year old one ..dont know the specs) and wonder if anyone can recommend a solution that could solve the problem or am I looking for something impossible? I see that there is something called firewire hub/repeater (f.inst from Belkin) on the marked and wondered maybe if that could do the trick?
Thanks in advance and yes I am a dreamer and will continue stay so ....))
ulFo
http://www.notam02.no/nood/
lepetitmartien
Can't you chain them without the hub? unsure.gif

mini<=>HD<=>projectmix

Now if the hub is 4-5 years old, I'd look suspiciously at it… i have no experience with FW hubs, but a repeater is an active hub so should be better… now, I'd look about the the return policy if it's still a mess just in case.

I'd tell the guys at M-audio too, if MOTU can make it, they should be able too wink.gif You can even ask them if they know of a hub working with their projectmix without fuss, they may know.

What's the Hard drive you use? enclosure?

(moved the thread to mac and peripherals, it's more related) wink.gif
ulFo
cant chain them i.e. disc is lacie w only one fw input and so is the project mix - macmini has only one fw port

ulF

ill try get a new hub but before I do I am waiting to see if anyone else has any experience on with any hub/repeater they have used

if not I guess best solution is to install 7200 rpm disc in macmini and drop the external enclosure

thanx for your reply
switte
when using the project mix I have found that you can't have anything sharing the firewire interface... I had a lacie harddrive on my firewire 800 port with the 400 port being used for the project mix and experienced kernel panics and my audio would skip... but when I moved the lacie HD to a USB 2 port everything works great and really stable
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.