Full Version: The Switch (g4 To G5)
440 Forums > English > Audio > Audio Melting Pot
hani
I am runing a g4 1.3ghz. osx 10.3

my PCI cards are: TC electronic Powercore
adaptec scsi card 2920
radeon graphic card
MOTU pci 324

im not sure which one is compatible with g5 & which card needs updating.?

i also have 2 cinema displays. the main display is connected to the built in graphic card via ADC..
the second monitor is connected to the Radeon graphic card via DVI. the question is : will i be able to connect both displays to the G5 by using using the same connections or will I need to use some sort of adaptor?
please help
Jsegura
Powercore is compatible. Pci 324 of Motu no. It would advise an interface by fireware. The G5 is prepared to work with two monitors without problems.
lepetitmartien
324 is not compatible (my case… got to upgrade, MOTU just s… big time for it, I've got the PCI, isn't that ENOUGH?) as early 424. Check MOTU Motu website for details (given the US price is way lower than elsewhere, it just s… tongue.gif angry.gif
ourmanflinty
MOTU pci 324 can be upgraded for about £250 to G5 spec. You won't need the RADEON card as g5's have dual monitors on one card, you may be ok with the connections you have but adapters from ADC to DVI are no problem. The adaptec, I'm not sure, I think not, hold on...Oh, bad news...quote

Thank you for visiting Adaptec’s Mac OS compliance page.

Adaptec is no longer developing SCSI drivers for the Mac OS. Technical support is available for those products still in their complimentary support period; however, there will be no new SCSI drivers, firmware, or patches available.
Jsegura
The upgrade of pci-324, is one swindles. You must send your card to them, they send other to you than you can put in slot of the G5, and you must pay 400 Euros! Of fifteen days to a month without working and you must pay by his ineptitude in the design of his card. To me they considered it and what I did it was to sell the 2408 mk2 and to buy a Fireface 800. I have gained four previous of great quality, and better sound.
Jsegura
....and in addition Motu is specialized in Mac!!!!!
Jsegura
it will have hurt to them, more of the¨logical thing¨ the purchase of Emagic?
hani
thank you everyone for the info.

hey ourmanflinty,

thank you for the Adaptec info however,

does this mean that all G5 users are not using any external scsi hard drive connections.

I simply cant work without my main external glyph rack/drives connected via scsi.
how can i continue using these drives on the G5 ?
is there some sort of convertor or a solution?

its hard to believe that all those out there who made the swithch to g5 also abandoned there SCSI rig.
lepetitmartien
You need a SCSI card, Atto are nice smile.gif

Don't ever buy adaptec SCSI cards second hand, adaptec NEVER change the name of the card along the years so you can end up with one no suitable…

Jsegura, I'm of the same opinion on MOTU, being screwed by the same problem. Still searching my f…g serial number to be able to have a working pci card with 2 chips on… angry.gif
hani
ok,

im not quite sure i understand what your saying.

is the motu good or bad?.. should i buy firewire or pci?..
are you also saying there is an alternative to adaptec. you mean i can still use my SCSI drives with the g5?
Jsegura
You can work with SCSI and the G5. If your Adaptec works in OSX, you only have to see if he is compatible with slots PCIX of your G5. If he is not compatible with G5, sure that are other models that are it. You can watch in Atto. They have cards for the G5 that are fastest. You can upgrades the pci card of Motu, you will pay 400 Euros to have the same. You will have to send your 324, and they send the new one to you. You can be 15 or 20 days without working. Another solution is to buy an Interface fireware of more quality. It thinks that slots in the G5 is limited. You have Powercore and SCSI.
lepetitmartien
MOTU makes great interfaces, now there's some regular reliability issues (which means with MOTU a slow repair…) on mostly 828 and the quality is good.

Presonus is starting to make really great interfaces.

RME are amazing.

Metric Halo are expensive but great.

On the sound quality the gradation now is something like: MOTU>presonus>RME-Metric Halo>apogee (from lesser to better, the last 3 are in an handkerchief)
Jsegura
I agree, RME, Metric Halo and Apogee form a trio of aces
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.