MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio And Midi On G4 Imacs, What can new iMac do without added DSP?
yingtong
posté jeu. 14 août 2003, 22:44
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 14 août 03
Lieu : - UK
Membre no 22,999

I'm thinking of converting to the iMac from PC, but I'm concerned from stuff I've read that I'd need an equivalent to a PCI soundcard - which they don't accept do they? Reason for thinking iMac rather than standard G4/G5 is price.

But can a 1Ghz iMac deal with 16 tracks of stereo audio plus VST plugins without any extra hardware?

For good quality sound to record out to my AKAI D12 hard disk recorder - plus MIDI - can an iMac really cut it? If so, what extras (MIDI /audio interfaces) would I need? And is it sensible to use Cubase (SX?) on the Mac or is it a poor second to say Logic or Pro Tools?

Would really appreciate some help. Cheers.

[My 'stuff' background: I cut up loops and beats with ReCycle etc and layer them into VST as audio while sequencing a Yamaha CS1x and AKAI S200 sampler all ending up in an AKAI D12 hard disk recorder (including my mixed down VST audio tracks). But I need more power and my current set up is on its last legs]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xingu
posté ven. 15 août 2003, 15:33
Message #2

Inscrit : 25 juil. 02
Lieu : Strongsville - US
Membre no 6,217

No, there's no place to install a PCI card on iMacs. You'll need to go with a USB or firewire interface. I would assume if you'll be recording both audio and MIDI, you'll need both an audio and MIDI interface or a combo device. Your audio interface requirements will depend on how many tracks you need to record simultaneously, among other things including driver support for whatever OS you'll be using (I'd guess OSX if this is a new purchase), budget, etc.

I use Logic Audio 6 on a G4 iMac 700mhz/384MB RAM with no problems - although I generally don't record more than 8 tracks. I think your hard disk has more to do with track count - and an external firewire drive dedicated solely to audio playback/recording is highly recommended. (This helps avoid drive task conflicts between the audio software and the operating system.)

Choice of software is largely personal preference, as they all are generally capable of getting you where you need to go. There are some intuitive benefits to Logic with Apple owning emagic, but there's plenty of people that prefer Cubase, ProTools, or Digital Performer. You'll have to look at the feature sets and decide what best fits your needs. I believe there's a demo available for Cubase. None for Logic, and I'm not sure about the others.. hope this helps.

+Quote Post
yingtong
posté dim. 17 août 2003, 13:57
Message #3

Membre no 22,999

Thanks xingu - really appreciate your help.

Just trying to get a feel for what these little beauties can do: the 8 tracks of audio you can get running on your iMac - are they mono or stereo? - and does that include plug-ins/v-instruments?

I was thinking of splurging on the 1Ghz superdrive (and based on your thoughts and esp if you're talking 8 stereo rather than mono, sounds like a 1Ghz would be well up to what I need).

I was thinking that if I did shift to an iMac, I'd go the whole hog and move to Logic (because of the emagic thing) - sounds like the compatibility will be hard for Steinberg to beat (I'm currently a VST man). They also apparently do a rather tasty Fender Rhodes v-instrument for Logic don't they?

Cheers again.

+Quote Post
xingu
posté dim. 17 août 2003, 15:28
Message #4

Membre no 6,217

Some stereo, mostly mono. Typically 1-3 plugs on each track, although some running to the aux sends. I don't do much with vi's yet.

I'd do some research on the superdrive - I've read that compared with the standard CD drive, it's a bit slow. Don't remember where, and this might not be true, so check into that.

A 1Ghz G4 should do you just fine. If you have the cash, you might want to seriously consider getting a tower since the iMac is really limited in terms of expandabiliy. I got my iMac due to budget and relatively low requirements for what I'm trying to do musically.

emagic makes the EVP73 Rhodes that comes as part of the Big Box package with the entry level Logic Audio. There's also the EVP88 that adds more features to the 73.

good luck

+Quote Post
yingtong
posté dim. 17 août 2003, 17:57
Message #5

Membre no 22,999

Cheers xingu. Will look into towers, but now you're just leading me into financial temptation!

Thanks again for the advice m' man.

+Quote Post
xingu
posté dim. 17 août 2003, 20:02
Message #6

Membre no 6,217

Forgot to add, one great thing about Logic 6 is the Freeze function, which renders your tracks as is (w/effects, etc.) as a separate audio file to free up CPU power so you can add more plugs or virtual instruments. I believe DP4 has a similar "Freeze Tracks" feature. Careful on that budget! It's very easy to go overboard. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté dim. 24 août 2003, 11:55
Message #7

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

You can run 16 tracks easily if you dont use too many plate reverbs as plugs.
They are very processorintensive.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
yingtong
posté lun. 25 août 2003, 13:51
Message #8

Membre no 22,999

Thanks for your help - just what I wanted to know. I shall go forth and spend money. Cheers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 14:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008