MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting Digi001 To Work In Classic Environment?!?
bapboy
posté ven. 9 mai 2003, 10:56
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 11 avril 03
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 15,969

I got one of those 1GHz G4's that boot in OSX but contain a "Classic" environment that supposedly runs OS 9.2. THe salesman convinced me it would work. So I went out and got mysef a Digi001 with Pro Tools LE 5.2 to run in this "Classic" environment.
The OMS setup crashes the computer. Pro Tools doesn't even start up. And now whenever I reboot the computer, a big orange OMS button just jumps onto the screen with a big question mark over it. Help! Is there a solution? Or should I just take the damn thing back to the shop and go back to my old G3 running OS 8.5. I'm sorely tempted.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bapboy
posté ven. 9 mai 2003, 11:55
Message #2

Membre no 15,969

OK. I'm taking the damn thing back to the shop!

I found out from Digidesign that the newest G4's on sale will only boot on OSX and with Pro Tools 5.2 it is IMPERATIVE that you boot from OS9.2. The older G4's, (by just a couple of months) were dual bootable, the one I have just runs the "Classic" mode which is more like a cheap emulator. It runs some sysem 9 software but nothing that communicates with hardware whatsoever. Why are Apple doing this? Because they can would be the short answer.

C***s!

+Quote Post
cathode
posté sam. 10 mai 2003, 05:00
Message #3

Inscrit : 13 avril 03
Lieu : Seaview - US
Membre no 16,027

Skip that classic junk!
It is not like OS9 to me as it has sort of a crossover feel.
Get Pro tools 6 for your 001 and run it in OSX it works quite well and the interface is kinda fun to look at!
Good luck! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté sam. 10 mai 2003, 10:31
Message #4

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Cathode hits it right on the money - move to OS X, problem solved. Well, as long as you can upgrade to PT6 and use the 001 with it, but I'm sure you can.

Seems like the salesman was an idiot, although it does depend on exactly what you asked him. Your Mac does run Classic, but perhaps neither of you realised that music apps don't run in Classic and need to boot into OS 9 proper.

Apple have done what they did to move the platform forward - an unpopular but ultimately crucial move for the Mac OS. X is the way ahead and solid enough now for all music. And as I'm guessing you won't have much OS 9 legacy software, why bother with OS 9 at all?

+Quote Post
bapboy
posté sam. 10 mai 2003, 10:58
Message #5

Membre no 15,969

Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the OS9 trap. It's not just Pro Tools I'm using my Mac for. All my other software is OS9 and upgrading all that to OSX will cost thousands of pounds as all the upgrades are not upgrades at all but a whole new re-write, you have to buy it ll over again.
Plus, I run a professional studio and I've been using my beloved Nuendo, Reason, Recycle, etc, for years and I just can't tell all my clients that from now on those programs aren't going to work!

I will make the move to OSX, but not yet, not before all the software has caught up. And everyone I've asked is saying the same thing. Switch to OSX, but don't do it yet!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Bienvenue invité
Contribute
PcMusic est VOTRE site! Participez à son évolution...
Version bas débit - mardi 2 juil. 2024, 17:42
- © PcMusic 1997-2007