MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ide Expansion B&w G3, Can I add an additional ATA-100 HD
Jerald
posté lun. 21 avril 2003, 10:51
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 avril 03
Lieu : Hong Kong - HK
Membre no 16,337

I have a B&W G3 300Mhz w/ the original IDE 6GB HD, that is being sent to me. I also have an extra 40GB HD that's ATA-100 7200rpm, that I would like to install onto this system, once the computer arrives.

Can I just add the extra hard drive? Or do I need an additional IDE Controller card? If so, which is the right card?

I have a PCI serial port card (for hooking up a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV serial), an Adaptec 2904 SCSI (for hooking up an old CD-RW), plus the Digidesign 001 PCI card. I don't think I have another PCI slot for an IDE controller card.

I really appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 22 avril 2003, 01:26
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

You can have up to 3 drives in the BW 2 at most in IDE.

The ideal would have been to have a PCI IDE card for it (no stress on the processor) but as PCI at Apple are a SPARSE furniture (WE WANT MORE!)…

So you have ti hook it on the empty slot of the IDE bus. Just think of put the jumpers on the drive to the slave position (it's either described on it, else browse on the manufacturer site, you'll find it in the technical support)

The mac could be a bit temperamental on start up (it happens when you add drives or cards), just restart it should be all right.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Jerald
posté mar. 22 avril 2003, 03:18
Message #3

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 avril 03
Lieu : Hong Kong - HK
Membre no 16,337

Thank you for the input. I got the G3 in January of 1999. It's the base model and one of the very first G3s @ 300Mhz, not 350! So I'm experiencing some IDE controller problems on the original motherboard.

I've decided to use a SCSI drive as the secondary drive. I've purchased the OrangeLink SCSI U2W /FireWire PCI to replace my Adaptec 2906 PCI card. Even though it's discontinued, the card is exactly what I need, because I'll be using an old U2W 9.1G HD. The previously mentioned 40G IDE drive will be used for storage purposes on my newer G4 DP533.

I think with the new OrangeLink card, I'll have the old G3 up and running nicely.

Again, thank you all for the kind assistance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 12:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008