MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings... First Newbie Question., Hardware choice dual 867 or mono 1.2?
Uncle Remus
posté mer. 12 mars 2003, 18:28
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 12 mars 03
Membre no 14,228

Okay... so I have to choose between the dual G4 867 mhz/ 512 ram or single 1GHz G4 w/ 512 RAM...

I will be running Cubase SX, Reason 2.0, some plugins w/ a MOTU 828...

Is it preferable to go w/ a single processor with more MHz (1G)or a dual w/ a little less (867MHz)? Is this a no-brainer?

Thanks for the advice. This forum will provide me with a wealth of information, thanks to you guys...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 13 mars 2003, 03:37
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Welcome! biggrin.gif

Now on your problem… If you run OS 9, there won't be benefits to take one on the other. really.

In OS X, if you're in OS 9 you'll have to go under OS X sooner or later. System uses like the apps all the power that the processor(s) can deliver, and everything benefits of 2 procs instead of one even if it is faster.

think of the dual 867 as a mono 1,5 GHz… a bit more efficient. There are other thing to take into consideration like l3 cache, but your choice won't be in these configurations the main problem.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté jeu. 13 mars 2003, 13:47
Message #3

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

I asked this question myself over at http://forum.cubase.net a month or so ago and got the reply that just buy whatever you can afford now - single, dual, whatever. Either will be powerful enough to run a decent set-up, then you can always sell it later and upgrade if you make some more money. Seemed like good advice to me.

I was torn between a 1GHz PowerBook or a 1.25 dual tower. Still am blink.gif

+Quote Post
Uncle Remus
posté jeu. 13 mars 2003, 16:00
Message #4

Membre no 14,228

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mar 13 2003, 02:37)
Welcome! biggrin.gif

Now on your problem… If you run OS 9, there won't be benefits to take one on the other. really.

In OS X, if you're in OS 9 you'll have to go under OS X sooner or later. System uses like the apps all the power that the processor(s) can deliver, and everything benefits of 2 procs instead of one even if it is faster.

think of the dual 867 as a mono 1,5 GHz… a bit more efficient. There are other thing to take into consideration like l3 cache, but your choice won't be in these configurations the main problem.

Lepetitmartien- Merci, mon pote. J'ai decide acheter le dual 867... j'aime bien ce "forum", c'est carrement efficace.

Rickenbacker- thanks for the link!

+Quote Post
Uncle Remus
posté jeu. 13 mars 2003, 21:38
Message #5

Membre no 14,228

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mar 13 2003, 02:37)
Welcome! biggrin.gif

You refer to the L3 cache, or lack thereof in the 867MHz (as you did in a post some time ago).

Under which configurations would I start to see a noticable difference with the 867's L2 cache as opposed to L3? What setup(s) will typically encounter issues? BTW, I don't see myself straying from Reason/Cubase SX/Nuendo and some plug-ins such as Kontakt for a looooong time.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 14 mars 2003, 06:21
Message #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

A L3 cache helps the processors to be more efficient (they are working more by not waiting beteween arrivals of data, which is with fast processors the main issue of performances on moderne computers). The helping hand can bring up to 10-20% more "power" available (it's there, but the processors can't use it as it's waiting for data)

Now the recall of Rickenbacker is outrageously right, buy the more powerfull you can afford. Myself i'm still on the top of the range 4 years ago blink.gif
And I'll change once Apple will release 10 G5 processors 6X PCI monsters

btw, uncle remus… there are HUGE french forums (see the little flag wink.gif if it better suits you smile.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 20 sept. 2024, 21:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008