MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making Music With A New Ibook, Looking for setup help
musicteacher
posté sam. 7 déc. 2002, 21:00
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 08 déc. 01
Lieu : Queens
Membre no 2,607

I am a public school music teacher who is thinking about getting a new iBook to use as a portable music making tool. Here's what I would like to do with it:

1. Sequence backing tracks in various musical styles for my students to play along with in class. I'd want to burn these backing tracks onto cd and bring them into the classroom so my kids can jam to a calypso-style "This Land Is Your Land" or whatever. What would be good software to do this with an iBook?

2. Record my own music and my students music either live or track by track - what is the best way to get sound into an iBook?

3. Begin to explore the world of software synths. Which ones are easy to use and can interact well with the software/hardware used for the above two items?

I hope that's clear enough. I'd appreciate any suggestions. If there's anyone answering who lives in the NYC area and can help me in person with this I'd be really grateful. Thank you for supporting public education.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ghess
posté lun. 9 déc. 2002, 17:26
Message #2

Rookie

Inscrit : 01 août 02
Lieu : Mt. Pleasant - US
Membre no 6,442

musicteacher,

An organization that you might find useful is the Technology Institute for Music Educators-TI:ME (http://www.ti-me.org). This non-profit group was created to specifically to train and support music educators. In the meantime, let me try to answer your questions.

1. For creating backing rhythm section tracks to accompany your classes, you might want to consider Band in a Box. It's very easy, just type in the chord symbols, select a style and tempo and click play. The files can be exported as standard MIDI files. The people who sell Band in a Box also have a very nice Roland Virtual Sound Canvas that they offer as an inexpensive add-on ($20, i think) to any BIAB purchase. This softsynth has a pretty decent sound set and will also convert your MIDI files to audio files. You can then use iTunes to burn your CD. Total cost for this solution is less than $100. Be sure to ask for the educational price.

2. Recording audio on an iBook requires an audio interface. The least expensive option is the Griffin iMic. I've not had any experience with this, so I can't comment on the quality, though some people on this forum have said it works well for them. I believe you can use this with ProTools Free (http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/). Another option you might consider is the Edirol (Roland) combination MIDI and Audio interface. I use a MOTU 828, which is considerably more expensive ($6-700). Digidesign also offers a couple of audio interfaces for under $1000. Both include audio recording software. There are many supporters of Logic on this forum as well, though that option will tend to be a little more expensive, as would Digital Performer or a hardware based ProTools system

3. The Roland Sound Canvas I mentioned above is probably the least expensive one. However it is primarily a sound module, there's not a lot of editing available. You might want to try Native Instruments free Soundforum Synth.(http://www.nativeinstruments.de). It emulates a basic analog synth an includes an oscilloscope. Other popular software synths include Reason, which I highly recommend for its educational potential. You can get a demo at http://www.propellerheads.se

One final thought. While OS X 10.2 has made great strides towards integrating audio and MIDI, much of the software listed above is still for OS 9. I suggest you plan on using OS 9 at least for the near future.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mer. 11 déc. 2002, 16:58
Message #3

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Logic 5.x, Cubase SX, Pro Tools, Bias Deck & Peak, Storm 2.0, Reason 2.0 and Live 2.0 all run on OS X (10.2 preferred). Digital Performer is the only "major" sequencer yet to transfer to OS X.

There is also an OS X-specific Midi-only sequencing application called Intuem, which is OK and pretty cheap, though it has had teething troubles. With software, you generally get what you pay for.

Older soft synths like the Native Instrument collection do not run on OS X yet. There is also the issue of VST vs Audio Units for plug-ins in OS X: Logic only allows Audio Units, Cubase only VST. Thus, when you make a choice about your sequencer, you're making a choice about your future plug-in options.

Audio Units are the preferred choice for Mac musicians on OS X, being based at system-level and thus more efficient than VST, but there is good stuff appearing for VST in OS X. Storm 2.0, for instance, is VST-based, so could plug-in to Cubase but not Logic.

ReWire is another concern: Logic 5 in OS X still doesn't support it, Cubase does. So if you have Reason 2.0 for the synths, you can hook it up to Cubase or Live, say, for the multitrack sequencing and audio recording.

A good budget system (relatively speaking, as it always is with computers) would be Reason 2.0 and Live 2.0 and hook them up via ReWire. That way you get Midi and audio recording, plus an excellent collection of soft synths in Reason and Live's creative, flexible approach to recording/remixing.

Alternatively, Storm is a good cheap option, with Logic Platinum the best there is, IMHO. In most sequencers you get a few free synths and FX, too, so you can get started straight away.

Personally, I use Reason, Live, Storm and Logic on a 600MHz iBook, all in OS X. My interface is an Edirol UA-700, via USB, which I bought because of the onboard FX and guitar amp / microphone modelling sections, which are really great. It's also got every kind of connection you could ever need.

I've tried most of the interfaces around (under £500, anyway) and I like the Edirol stuff a lot. The UA-5 is another great solution if you don't need the extra FX: it has all the connections of the UA-700. The only drawback is the OS X drivers are still being worked out - for the most part the Beta driver works fine, but I'd still like them to finish the job!

FireWire is faster and some people will tell you USB is too slow for music, but if you're only recording a couple of tracks at a time, USB is fine. It's only a problem if you try to record and playback something like 8+ sources at once - miking up a live orchestra, say. For 2-in, 2-out recording, USB is fine.

Hope that helps and doesn't make the matter even more complicated! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Hamish
posté mer. 11 déc. 2002, 17:57
Message #4

Inscrit : 11 nov. 02
Lieu : Maidenhead - UK
Membre no 9,180

The absolute simplest option would be to get a general midi synth keyboard with midi ins and out, connect this through a usb midi interface such as the emagic mt-4, use this for your sounds and then use a basic sequencer such as cubase or logic. Doing this will be very easy, and you will probably be able to explain it in an understandable way to the kids as well. Good Luck!

+Quote Post
posté mer. 11 déc. 2002, 19:36
Message #5

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

QUOTE (rickenbacker @ Dec 11 2002, 09:58)
Logic 5.x, Cubase SX, Pro Tools, Bias Deck & Peak, Storm 2.0, Reason 2.0 and Live 2.0 all run on OS X (10.2 preferred). Digital Performer is the only "major" sequencer yet to transfer to OS X.

Pro Tools for OS X isn't out yet.

+Quote Post
goldmike
posté jeu. 12 déc. 2002, 11:01
Message #6

Inscrit : 01 oct. 02
Lieu : Stuttgart - DE
Membre no 8,127

Hi everybody,
I´m working on a iBook 700 Mhz with Motu 828 under Mac OSX. After several years of good ol´ Mac OS 9, i switched completely to OS X.
Was a goog decision. Maybe everybody will have noticed that MIDI just rocks under Mac OS X. I work with reason and logic a lot, but when it comes down on editing audio, I prefer Celemonys‘ Melodyne.
It‘s a absolutely killer application!! Those guys recently updated their software to version 1.5. I just extremely recommend everybody who works with monophonic instruments (lead intruments, melodic, no chords) to download the demo (-> http://www.celemony.com/melodyne/Demos.html) and check out how audio can be handled (similar to editing Midi) with Melodyne. If your´re a professional who is used to work with Autotune for exp. and your not satified (how can you?), you´ll find what you need in Melodyne. I also use it to create new sounds out of it. Imagine morphing a tenor sax into a blues harp, in realtime. To me it´s THE MAC OS X programm. Best_goldmike

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté jeu. 12 déc. 2002, 16:01
Message #7

Maniac Member

Membre no 4,705

Baghun: OK, Pro Tools X isn't out yet, but it's due in January. Live 2.0 isn't out either, but it's due out this month (which seeing as it's the 12th already must mean pretty darned soon).

Good suggestions from Hamish, though I'd shrink from calling Logic a "basic sequencer". An "incredibly powerful, complicated sequencer" perhaps. Even the leaner Silver edition is more than many people ever need. Logic is excellent, but Live is very easy to use, particularly if you want kids to use it, and is set to gain some important new features in v.2.

Goldmike: Melodyne is very cool, but very expensive. I'm lucky enough to have a copy, too, and it's fantastic. But maybe too much for musicteacher's needs.

+Quote Post
musicteacher
posté jeu. 12 déc. 2002, 22:54
Message #8

Inscrit : 08 déc. 01
Lieu : Queens
Membre no 2,607

Thank you all for all of this helpful information. I greatly appreciate it.

How does one run OS9 on a new iBook that, I assume, only comes with OSX. Is that possible?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté ven. 13 déc. 2002, 15:46
Message #9

Maniac Member

Membre no 4,705

Noooo! Don't do it! Don't go back to OS 9! Go straight to OS 10.2!

Only joking. Well, kind of. laugh.gif

If you buy an iBook quick smart, it should still come pre-loaded with OS 9 and will boot into 9. In 2003, all new Macs will only boot into OS 10.2, though OS 9 will still be on there to allow you to run Classic apps. In other words, you stay in the OS X environment and OS 9 loads within it. But you won't be able to boot into OS 9. Silly, isn't it?

However, not all OS 9 apps will run in the Classic Environment. All my Macromedia web apps do, plus Photoshop etc, but a lot of OS 9 apps won't - especially most music apps. You're better off rebooting into OS 9 proper if you want to work in that environment.

Computer music: no-one said it would be easy... blink.gif

+Quote Post
ryosode
posté ven. 13 déc. 2002, 22:20
Message #10

Inscrit : 07 nov. 01
Lieu : San Jose - US
Membre no 2,270

Wait Rickenbacker, as it currently stands, I believe by default OS 9 is non-bootable, i.e. in classic environment only. At least that was the case for my new eMac. In order to run OS9, you will have to get an iBook, then purchase a OS 9 CD separately...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 12 juin 2024, 18:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008