MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New - Pls Help. Confused About Hardware, iMac with 10.5 - need USB MIDI interface
pigletto78
posté dim. 15 févr. 2009, 18:30
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 mai 04
Lieu : Vilnius - UK
Membre no 42,319

Hi
I've been surfing the net to find a USB MIDI interface which will work with my Intel iMac using 10.5. I'm a bit confused and would welcome any advice.

I would like to connect my Yamaha PSR 550 to the Mac and use Garageband. I also have an acoustic guitar and would like to buy a mic and also be able to connect this and also record vocals. I think I need a 'condensor' mic for this?

So in short, I need a USB Midi device with Mic for vocal (and mic for acoustic guitar without a pickup), and Midi input.

I would rather spend a bit more on something with all these features than a 1 MIDI in/ 1 MIDI out cheapo wire, but I don't want to end up paying for things I will never use as a beginner amateur.

I've seen some bad feedback on some models which don't yet have drivers for 10.5.

Can anyone help recommend some hardware?! Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deaconblue
posté lun. 16 févr. 2009, 05:45
Message #2

Inscrit : 27 janv. 03
Lieu : Austin - US
Membre no 11,156

Citation (pigletto78 @ Sun 15 Feb 2009, 11:30) *
Hi
I've been surfing the net to find a USB MIDI interface which will work with my Intel iMac using 10.5. I'm a bit confused and would welcome any advice.

I would like to connect my Yamaha PSR 550 to the Mac and use Garageband. I also have an acoustic guitar and would like to buy a mic and also be able to connect this and also record vocals. I think I need a 'condensor' mic for this?

So in short, I need a USB Midi device with Mic for vocal (and mic for acoustic guitar without a pickup), and Midi input.

I would rather spend a bit more on something with all these features than a 1 MIDI in/ 1 MIDI out cheapo wire, but I don't want to end up paying for things I will never use as a beginner amateur.

I've seen some bad feedback on some models which don't yet have drivers for 10.5.

Can anyone help recommend some hardware?! Thanks in advance.

Hannah

Hannah,

It all boils down to money and how much of it you want to spend.

You can get a nice breakout box which will do both and give you a lot of flexibility, like the MOTU Ultralite Mk3, but you'll spend about $550.00 for one at Musician's Friend.

There are cheaper solutions as well. I have used the MOTU hardware for the last 9 years and been very happy with it. M-Audio has some good hardware, as does Alesis and Presonus (I have some of each of these for different applications).

What is your ballpark that you are looking to spend. Since features are pretty much "solid midi", USB/FireWIre connectivity and a Mic Pre (or two), your budget will be the biggest determining factor.

Hope that helps.

peace.
Raison de l'édition : interface name correction

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Will2009
posté mar. 17 févr. 2009, 01:08
Message #3

Inscrit : 04 déc. 08
Lieu : Maywood - US
Membre no 105,177

Hello Hannah, musiciansfriend is a good store, however, it really does depend on what you are willing to spend, might I suggest that you check out the Tascam line of interfaces
I have been using one for some years now and it's been very reliable, and did not break the bank, plus, if you are thinking of running an external instrument into Garageband, then
you will need an Audio/midi interface not just midi..
I hope this helps.
Will

+Quote Post
DeniseMusic
posté mer. 29 avril 2009, 22:14
Message #4

Inscrit : 29 avril 09
Lieu : US
Membre no 108,271

Hello,
My computer wouldn't let me start a new topic ? so I'm tagging onto this one.

I have been poking around on this site for some info on interfaces. And I wonder if someone can help me. Can anyone describe the difference between firewire and usb interfaces? I don't undertand much about this. Here's the story.
I have a new iMac on the way and plan to use it for recording. I am a performing songwriter and I want to be able to record my rewrites and have a clean recording. Nothing spectacular. I don't care if I can do two tracks simultaneously or not. I will be recording vocals with a Beta 87A, acoustic guitar, electric bass, and maybe a little electric guitar. I'd like an interface that's #1 easy to use, #2 compatible with Garageband 09 , #3 has an XLR input w/ phantom power, #4 1/4" input, #5 is reliable, #6 would be a bonus if I could hook up a cassette player to transfer old band tapes to CD. I have a MIDI keyboard but I already have a MIDI to USB cable that should work if the unit isn't MIDI capable. I will primarily be using these recordings for critiques and rewrites.
I have no interest in learning any more about recording at home because I have two kids and very little time. I have a wonderful professional studio that I will return to when the time comes to record for real and I'll be glad to pay them to do it!!

I have seen several interfaces on musiciansfriend and other sites. CME Matrix Firewire Audio Matrix, Edirol UA -4FX USB Audio Capture Interface, Lexicon Lambda USB, and I know there are several others out there. Then I came across someone talking about firewire vs USB and here I am, confused. Thanks for the help!
Denise

+Quote Post
Nicola Bloom
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 08:08
Message #5

Inscrit : 24 janv. 07
Lieu : Brighton - UK
Membre no 87,647

QUOTE (DeniseMusic @ Wed 29 Apr 2009, 22:14) *
Hello,
My computer wouldn't let me start a new topic ? so I'm tagging onto this one.

I have been poking around on this site for some info on interfaces. And I wonder if someone can help me. Can anyone describe the difference between firewire and usb interfaces? I don't undertand much about this. Here's the story.
I have a new iMac on the way and plan to use it for recording. I am a performing songwriter and I want to be able to record my rewrites and have a clean recording. Nothing spectacular. I don't care if I can do two tracks simultaneously or not. I will be recording vocals with a Beta 87A, acoustic guitar, electric bass, and maybe a little electric guitar. I'd like an interface that's #1 easy to use, #2 compatible with Garageband 09 , #3 has an XLR input w/ phantom power, #4 1/4" input, #5 is reliable, #6 would be a bonus if I could hook up a cassette player to transfer old band tapes to CD. I have a MIDI keyboard but I already have a MIDI to USB cable that should work if the unit isn't MIDI capable. I will primarily be using these recordings for critiques and rewrites.
I have no interest in learning any more about recording at home because I have two kids and very little time. I have a wonderful professional studio that I will return to when the time comes to record for real and I'll be glad to pay them to do it!!

I have seen several interfaces on musiciansfriend and other sites. CME Matrix Firewire Audio Matrix, Edirol UA -4FX USB Audio Capture Interface, Lexicon Lambda USB, and I know there are several others out there. Then I came across someone talking about firewire vs USB and here I am, confused. Thanks for the help!
Denise

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 08:24
Message #6

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 10 févr. 06
Lieu : Hamburg - DE
Membre no 76,633

Denise... The main difference/issue was one of stability. USB in the "Beginning" was not as reliable as "Firewire". My knowledge is based on what was several years ago. I am certain USB has fixed this problem, still I would recommend Firewire...

If in doubt, RECORD on your Computer then TRANSFER DATA. It's an extra Step, but it's Stable.

Ce message a été modifié par Mac Daddy - jeu. 30 avril 2009, 08:26.

+Quote Post
jimdubpram
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 11:34
Message #7

Inscrit : 30 nov. 04
Lieu : Carmarthen. - UK
Membre no 55,837

Hi Denise
I use a Saffire Firewire LE interface with Garageband. It does all the things you ask for and comes with some nice DSP plugins. Reccomend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ironhead
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 15:37
Message #8

Inscrit : 22 mars 05
Lieu : Cancun - MX
Membre no 62,788

hello from what i understand you just need something inexpensive to use for you demos
most usb interface is much less expensive than a firewire interface
the different is just the ports and speed or transfer rate
usb 2 is just as fast as firewire 400 but firewire 800 is faster than usb 2
don't be confuse because all firewire interface uses fire 400
so you may want to look into buying maybe an mbox or Edirol UA -4FX USB , or saffire LE, Maudio
OR any inexpensive interface there are a lot out there google and check them out
i hope this helps

+Quote Post
DeniseMusic
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 15:48
Message #9

Inscrit : 29 avril 09
Lieu : US
Membre no 108,271

Thank you!! So much to learn-so little time... I had not run across the Saffire firewire and I am going to check that one out now . I have read lots of reviews and there seem to always be one or two bad reviews in a sea of good ones for many of the interfaces. I think I'll go with Firewire. Now I just have to choose which one.
I appreciate the help!

+Quote Post
philflood
posté jeu. 30 avril 2009, 17:06
Message #10

Inscrit : 29 janv. 08
Lieu : Schertz - US
Membre no 98,454

Hi Denise,

For your purposes, either USB or Firewire should work fine. If I were in your position, I would shop for the feature syour are seeking. Find a unit that has XLR, phantom power, 1/4 inch and RCA inputs. I seem to recall a USB mixer that worked for that, I believe Alesis made it. Regarding firewire vs. USB, Firewire is a faster transfer, and provides slight gains in latency. But, for 1 or two channel recording on a new iMac, the measures are really meaningless.

More important to your search will be to ensure that your interface has drivers that are compatible with OSX 10.5. Make sure of that before you buy. If you are anywhere near an Apple store, I have found the employees at all the store to be very helpful in finding good products.

Good luck.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 3 mai 2024, 02:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008