MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Help Me Start Out With Acoustic Guitar
timjac
posté lun. 28 avril 2008, 09:33
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 avril 08
Membre no 100,684

My regards to the community. I already have a taste of music as I played Saxophone for 6 years and sang in choir for 5. I want to have my fingers going on an acoustic guitar. I already own 2. . I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to start out. What should I be doing, etc... That kind of stuff. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
deaconblue
posté mar. 29 avril 2008, 05:58
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 janv. 03
Lieu : Austin - US
Membre no 11,156

timjac,

Welcome. More than anything else, learn where the notes are on your neck/fretboard.

6th (biggest string, standard tuning) = E
5th = A (440Hz, , standard tuning)
4th = D
3rd = G
2nd = B
1st (smallest string) = E (two octaves up from the open 6th string)

Each fret is a half step or semitone. The 12th fret is the octave of the open string.

Some private lessons, even one or two to get started, would do wonders for your skills in the short term.

I'd recommend learning some basic scales and a few open chords to start. Start with the Major scale and the minor or pentatonic minor and/or blues scale. Think of the Major scale as the "Do- a deer, ..." Julie Andrews number from The Sound of Music. Since you have some years of sax and vox under your belt you have a leg up on having some music knowledge working in your favor.

The one thing I'd recommend is to realize that while the sax and other instruments are fairly logical in their layout and function, the guitar is not. But, once you get the hang of chord positions and the relative positions of notes on the neck, you'll be able to feel more confident in your playing. The C-A-G-E-D system of learning chords and how they can tie the entire neck together is a cool way to learn relatively quickly how things lay out, but may not be for everyone.

Regardless of what you do, and I am sure you know this from your past music experience, the only real teacher is practice, practice, practice... And then practice some more.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 28 avril 2024, 14:31
- © 440 Forums 2011