MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> N00b....please Help.
mluda
posté jeu. 17 janv. 2008, 19:52
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 17 janv. 08
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 98,126

I am so sorry if this is broken record to most of you. BUT

I am an "aspiring" musician, and I am wondering how I can set up and begin recording music using my mac book pro. (garageband). I have two keyboards both have 1/8 outputs/inputs. I acquired a 2 channel mixer.
I simply want to record my keyboards into garageband.

My questions are: Do I need a sound card or can I plug into my line in jack on my computer and be set? Do I need anymore software or interfaces? Do I need drivers for the mixer or does garageband take care of any compatibility problems?

Thanks.

Ce message a été modifié par mluda - jeu. 17 janv. 2008, 19:53.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté ven. 18 janv. 2008, 06:40
Message #2

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

Yep it is advisable to get an interface. I would maybe think about something like an M-audio Fast Track USB.....very inexpensive (99 bucks US) and will do the trick. If you wanted to go a little further out...try to find something with MIDI in and out as well (I am assuming neither one of your keyboards has a USB connection.....if one of them does, forget about the MIDI interface). Garage Band has some pretty ok sample based instruments (it will also accept AU plug ins and there are a whole bunch of free synths that are AU compatible) that you may want to try on for size and even if you like your keyboards better, your workflow will improve by using MIDI.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

+Quote Post
frosty
posté ven. 18 janv. 2008, 15:35
Message #3

Inscrit : 28 déc. 07
Lieu : Los Angeles - US
Membre no 97,584

mac book is all set to go ..no need for any other stuff to do what you want to do.has a built in smile.gif sound card .

+Quote Post
deaconblue
posté ven. 18 janv. 2008, 16:02
Message #4

Inscrit : 27 janv. 03
Lieu : Austin - US
Membre no 11,156

mluda,

both mortalengines and frosty are correct. The sound in (1/8" jack) will give you all you need to get stereo sound into your MacBook immediately. But for the long term you should look at some type of audio interface for the ability to control your inbound sound better, provide better quality and, should you desire to record something besides the keys (guitar, vocals, birds chirping, etc.) you'll need something to plug a decent mic into.

USB and FireWire interfaces about. The M-Audio USB Mic Pre and Fast Track are both good entry level devices. The Alesis IO series is very cool (they have 2, 14 and 26 input interfaces as well as the IO Control which also provides you with a control surface). The MOTU series (828 mkII, Traveller, UltraLite, etc) are very good devices as well. Check around, look at specs, determine what your needs are, then grab one to expand your possibilities.

Until then, run your Stereo out or USB->MIDI connections from your keyboards into you MacBook and get to making some music. No limitations really, only options.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
mluda
posté ven. 18 janv. 2008, 19:00
Message #5

Inscrit : 17 janv. 08
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 98,126

Thank you all. My mic in works very strong, but my keyboards on the other hand don't, could that be because the only connecting audio in chord i have is an attenuating audio chord?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 17 sept. 2024, 01:44
- © MacMusic 1997-2008