MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beware Of Problems With Firewire 400 And Firewire 800 Incompatabilities
Meg Robinson
posté mar. 27 févr. 2007, 19:11
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 févr. 07
Lieu : Potomac - US
Membre no 88,865

I just posted a question earlier today about Firewire digital to audio converters and indicated that I was having problems with my M-Audio Firewire 410 working on my Powermac G5, which also has 3 external firewire drives, two of which are using Firewire 800 connections.

I called PreSonus and spoke with a very knowledgeable person there who told me that when you combine Firwire 400 and 800 devices on the same computer, it causes conflicts and would be problematic regardless of the particular digital to audio converter you use. This was extremely helpful to me because after reconnecting my Firewire drives using 400 rather than 800 cables, I reconnected the M-Audio and it seems to be working fine now--al least so far. The Presonus person did point out that the audio quality of their firebox was superior to the M-Audio 410 (check the specs for ranges), which is fair enough, but at least I am now operational.

So if any of you are having problems with your computer systems that may be using 400 and 800 connectors, this may explain why you are having the problem. Just wanted to share what I learned. After all, that's what these forums are all about.

Meg Robinson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
earthlinger
posté mer. 28 févr. 2007, 13:26
Message #2

Inscrit : 07 janv. 06
Lieu : Amsterdam - NL
Membre no 74,915

thanks for sharing

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 1 mars 2007, 04:56
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

I have drives both in 400 and 800 and never met any problem (G5 1.8 2003)… unsure.gif Now there are each sort on their respective 400 or 800 port on the mac. I've add to mix a few times both in the same chain (the 800 enclosures have 400 ports too) and no problem at all.

Mine are pleiades. Of which make are yours?

Or, is it an issue when using a FW interface and if so a presonus one?

As it's a somewhat serious issue, we'd better make things as clear as possible, and thanks for the info, you rock! cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Meg Robinson
posté jeu. 1 mars 2007, 18:35
Message #4

Inscrit : 27 févr. 07
Lieu : Potomac - US
Membre no 88,865

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Wed 28 Feb 2007, 22:56) *
I have drives both in 400 and 800 and never met any problem (G5 1.8 2003)… unsure.gif Now there are each sort on their respective 400 or 800 port on the mac. I've add to mix a few times both in the same chain (the 800 enclosures have 400 ports too) and no problem at all.

Mine are pleiades. Of which make are yours?

Or, is it an issue when using a FW interface and if so a presonus one?

As it's a somewhat serious issue, we'd better make things as clear as possible, and thanks for the info, you rock! cool.gif

I have had the problem when using the M-Audio Firewire 410 interface while at the same time using external firewire 800 drives, each plugged into different ports on the computer. I've had some other problems with my computer so I can't say with absolute certainty that mixing 400 and 800 devices is causing my problem (a tech support guy from Apple said in fact that this should not be a problem as the 400 and 800 firwire devices are completely separate buses). But after researching M-Audio firewire device problems, I have read in several different places about the 400/800 conflict issue being a problem.

I have not yet tried Presonus, but am thinking of simply replacing the M-Audio device with another make. I asked for advice on this site, but I have been surprised that no one has given me any suggestions of what to buy.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 2 mars 2007, 03:45
Message #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

I did, in a small way, but I don't have the time to dive on the actual models to check. Sorry.

What brand are your enclosures?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
frankELF
posté sam. 3 mars 2007, 03:30
Message #6

Inscrit : 19 févr. 07
Lieu : Cranston - US
Membre no 88,593

Many use firewire 800 and 400 devices on the same 800 bus. What happens is that the firewire is slowed down to the slowest device's speed - the 400. That should be the only problem, that I have heard of. Check a firewire forum if you still have uncertainty, though!

--------------------
Proud to be Member Number 88,593!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 28 avril 2024, 00:05
- © MacMusic 1997-2008