MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Setup Upgrade Advice
marauderjt
posté mar. 2 janv. 2007, 03:31
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 janv. 07
Lieu : Houston - US
Membre no 86,845

Ok. I have an ol skool setup - that works - but the hardware is becoming unreliable so I need to figure out what direction to go in. Hopefully I can get some advice.

Current Setup: Quandra 850 w/ 2 NuBus SampleCell Cards (loaded w/ memory), Digidesign Audiomedia II Card, and Studop Vision Pro. Opcode Studio 4 and a rack of modules, synths, drum machines, etc.

Now this setup lets me do midi sequencing, patch management, midi module management, record vocals, and other live tracks. However, the Quadra is slow and becoming unreliable. I have an iBook with USB1.0 that I could put into service if I could figure out what to build around it ? Or do I need to buy an new machine all together ?

What out of this setup can I keep and what do I HAVE to get rid of? I am thinking ProTools is the way to go. If so can I keep my Studio 4? What about this M-Audio stuff ?

Can I keep Studio Vision Pro and just find another interface to the Studio 4 from USB ?

Aynone know what I can fo with these Samplcell Cards ? Audiomedia II card ?

Bottom line is I need midi sequencing along with ability to records vocals, background vocals, and live tracks. It would be great if I could dump it all digitally and just take the digital mixes to the studio to dump and record and leave the gear at home..

Help !! I need a fresh intro into all the new stuff !!

Thanks

JT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
faderc
posté ven. 4 janv. 2008, 00:23
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 03 janv. 08
Membre no 97,752

QUOTE (marauderjt @ Tue 2 Jan 2007, 14:31) *
Bottom line is I need midi sequencing along with ability to records vocals, background vocals, and live tracks. It would be great if I could dump it all digitally and just take the digital mixes to the studio to dump and record and leave the gear at home..

Help !! I need a fresh intro into all the new stuff !!

Thanks

JT

It depends a little on how portable you want to be and how much you love your hardware synths and always how much you want to spend, i f i was you id be going for a new set up (but buy 2nd hand equip!)

I use Pro Tools and Logic everyday, and i would recommend to you (and almost anyone) to go with Logic.

The Midi editing is waaay better and the audio editing has caught up to PT.

Plus for whatever the full version of Logic Pro Studio aka Logic 8 costs where you are, it comes with a very decent amount of plugins AND instruments, and if you want to install it all, a ton of other sounds/loops etc.

Even just the Midi side of things makes it better for you than PT (IMHO)

Hardware...a decent Mac laptop, proably a 2nd hand macbook will do fine with a good amount of ram. If your ibook only has usb 1, it may be too dated to be of real use if you want to do audio.

For i/o im using a motu ultralites, which i got specifically because of the number of jack i/o connectors. There are many many good, low cost i/o devices and maudio make some fine products, it depends on how many simulatneous i/o you need and of what kind.

FYI. live set up for 'Haluciagea'. PC running ableton > 7 channels of audio via firewire to motu ultralite > split via jack outs to A&H mixer. For affects, ...laptop running logic...2 reverbs, 2 delays, distortion, phaser, firewire to motu ultrlite #2 > jack i/o to A&H mixer. Vocals into mixer via Toft Audio EC1. L/R out of mixer to FOH.

hope that helps...and doesn't cost you too much!

cheers
faderc

--------------------

haluciagea-live electronica [ breaks / rock / d n b ]
www.myspace.com/haluciagea
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 27 avril 2024, 23:17
- © MacMusic 1997-2008