MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
> Minimoog Voyager, Access Virus Ti, Or Vsynth Xt?
mortalengines
posté lun. 20 nov. 2006, 02:17
Message #1

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

Hi, I am kind of starting to look at hardware synths now that I have started running into CPU issues using Ableton Live & Reaktor & other plugs. I figure that I could use a Live Synth & Ableton has a much easier time with the more audio/midi loops you run (as opposed to VSTs). If I was gonna go for hardware, one of the 3 above would be my choice. It seems like each has its own niche & I am kind of gravitating toward the Moog since...well....it's a Moog but, it is still just a monophonic synth when you get right down to it. Access virus seems to have a pretty nice synth & I understand it will operate as a multi-track synth/ VST plug in as well (with all of the processing going on in the hardware, but I don't know if the "sound" will still be as cool 5 to 10 years down the road. Same for the V-synth, in addition to it being of limited polyphony & not really offering any multichannel support (but very unque in sound) & I am not really even sure if Roland is going to put out a better version soon (it's already discontinued the original V-synth). Any input/experiences from people who operate in both the hardware & software worlds? Would it maybe just be better to buy a Macbook Pro (I am using a G4 powerbook right now)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 20 nov. 2006, 09:55
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Well, the difficulty is you kind of mix three different beasts.

- Voyager: a real analogue, monophonic, potentially modular, performance synth. Lots of extension possibilities, it may be monophonic but as a controller it is poly wink.gif And it screams to be played.
- Virus, a virtual analogue polysynth, one of the best sounding, with a good interface now.
- V-synth, maybe the only Roland synth worth looking at right now, now I don't know it well.

The real question is, do you want more an all rounder or a more focused sound wise, something with more on the typical side or more on the mainstream side?

Also, I think you should envision other options like the:
- Moog Music Little Phatty (analogue monosynth)
- Nord Modular G2 (virtual analogue modular/polysynth)
- Alesis Andromeda A6 (analogue polysynth, less typical than Moog but way more versatile)

As I said in the other thread, you have to decide if you want to replace part of your plug-ins or compliment your sound (which I think is the better way). Do you want to overlap? Do you want to have real analogue? Do you want versatility or typicality? Do you want a synth for itself or an übercontroller? Does the quality of the synth finish counts for you?

And beware, I'm an analogue freak wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté lun. 27 nov. 2006, 04:22
Message #3

Advanced Member

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

Well, here is what happens generally speaking. I tend to run as many loops as I can while just keeping a couple of plugs on busses (like delays) & often I'll want to add a synth line or something but at that point, my CPU load is pretty well maxed out & running another virtual synth is out of the question. As a live tool it would be cool to have something a little more tactile & over the top to add to the experience of the live event. The synths I mentioned previously not only sound cool but they also are open to process incoming audio, which I feel would also enhance my music making ability. I am mostly trying to get some input from people who play one of the three aforementioned synths for both positive & negative feedback (limitations) regarding them.

I think I can tell what you're getting at regarding the sound I am looking for. I want a BIG, ROUND sound in a synth (& a lot of variety at that in regards to leads & basses & that wonderful kind of Tangerine Dream/Heldon sequence thing that I seem to be able to listen to for hours at a stretch). I am maybe a little less interested in atmospherics as I get that fix with Reaktor 5, Absynth & whatnot.

Also any recommended user forum links for any of the three would be cool as well.

Ce message a été modifié par mortalengines - lun. 27 nov. 2006, 04:30.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 9 mai 2024, 21:24
- © 440 Forums 2011