MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Day 952--still No Pro Sequencer For Os X, Deliver us, O ye audio/MIDI gods...
Levon River
posté mer. 14 août 2002, 05:04
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 10 août 02
Lieu : Rimghobb - UA
Membre no 6,734

Even Noah only had to deal with 40 days and 40 nights of rain. Here we've been subjected to a 952-day and 952-night drought with NO, zip, none, nada, nary a single pro combined audio/MIDI program in sight.

Don't point to Reason 2.0: it's a wonderful program, but they admit that they don't even use *actual* MIDI, and I'd rather juggle kittens than use Reason's editors for writing and/or tweaking a part. And of course it doesn't do audio editing at all.

Don't point to Deck 3.5: no MIDI sequencing and editing.

No, it's a plague and a curse on Mac musicians, a starvation diet, over two years in solitary confinement. But there are promises...

Promises, promises...

DAY 952 and counting...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bixpender
posté jeu. 15 août 2002, 04:53
Message #2

Inscrit : 22 juil. 02
Lieu : Brooklyn - US
Membre no 6,131

actually logic and cubase are both coming out in september. pro tools will follow later this year. the reason for all this wait is actually apple's fault. untill jaguar the audio core wasn't ready.

+Quote Post
BusError
posté jeu. 15 août 2002, 08:27
Message #3

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 12 août 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 6,795

This is wrong. CoreAudio was ready, and was working perfectly since about 10.1.3. CoreMIDI worked perfectly as well, even if they fixed a non-crashing issue with 10.1.5 on SMP machines.

No, those people don't either have, or want to get OSX programmers, so they basicaly suck. It takes a considerable amount of time to adapt.

The system works, and I should know it, I'm the developer who ported Sibelius to OSX.

Beside, it wouldn't take apple a year to fix bugs. They are desperate for applications, and when porting Sibelius I had absolutly terrific return from the CoreAudio & MIDI team, they actualy delayed 10.1.5 JUST to get that MIDI fix in, primarily for Sibelius.

Of course, the whole of the application was already working. There is no valid reason, given the size of their teams, and the state of the OS, to claim "awww it's HARD, and all apple fault!" it's just plain not true.

slackers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté jeu. 15 août 2002, 15:33
Message #4

Membre no 6,734

Well, BusError, that's pretty interesting information, and it also means I just bit my tongue off in what I just posted in another thread about the lack of firewire audio/MIDI devices.

First, kudos on the Sibilius work; I don't have it, but what I've seen on the web site is awfully impressive.

However, in an ocean of things that don't completely add up, you added another drop or two: eMagic was demoing Logic for OS X at Summer NAMM 2001, and announced rather splendiferously that it WOULD ship by September 2001. That was almost a year ago...

So, uh, *their* reason for not releasing obviously wasn't that "those people don't have, or want to get OS X programmers." Any insight? Guesses? Tarot reading?

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté ven. 16 août 2002, 10:57
Message #5

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

I don't think companies showing products at trade shows means zip. How many products in the past have been shown, then either delayed by a year or two - or more - or never actually appear at all? I saw Reason demo-ed running on OS X back in January - six months later, it finally appears. Cubase SX was shown in January... still waiting...

As for OS X's CoreMidi, it was always pretty good, then release 10.1.5 really tightened up performance. See Intuem's Midi sequencing program for what OS X has been able to do for months, Jaguar conspiracy theories notwithstanding!

(Hey, if Levon can post the same replies in multiple topics, so can I!)

+Quote Post
BusError
posté ven. 16 août 2002, 13:48
Message #6

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 12 août 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 6,795

I don't know really what happends. It's true that Carbonizing is done at 95% in 3 weeks, then it takes 6 months to fix the 5% remaining. However, it doesn't take 2 years!

I also need a sequencer, music notation is all very lovely and all, but I also need a sequencer!

slackers! biggrin.gif

There, have a look at what the next Sibelius will be able to do. Notice the quality of the rendering; it's all done using native OpenGL, it's easily 50x faster than before, and looks 50x better!

Sibeliorama (800Kb .pdf screenshot, showing 2*1280x1024)

--------------------

+Quote Post
deleted
posté sam. 17 août 2002, 09:51
Message #7

SuperHero

Groupe : Banned
Inscrit : 24 févr. 02
Membre no 3,562

QUOTE (Levon River @ Aug 14 2002, 06:04)
Here we've been subjected to a 952-day and 952-night drought with NO, zip, none, nada, nary a single pro combined audio/MIDI program in sight.

Don't point to Reason 2.0

Don't point to Deck 3.5

Well, shall i point to Live, then?
It's been released for some time now, and it works well under os X.
It's a specific sequencer, but a sequencer anyway. Nerver tested it, though.
Anyone using it under os X?

Bye.

+Quote Post
Levon River
posté sam. 17 août 2002, 16:06
Message #8

Membre no 6,734

I'm afraid Live also isn't in the same category as DP, Logic, Cubase, ProTools. It has no MIDI editor or MIDI file support, per se, at least not that *I* can find or see, nor does it support direct recording into the program. As its name implies, it's not really a studio recording package--it's for stringing loops and audio clips together for live performance, and triggering them via MIDI.

That's as much as I can determine about it, because I can spend only so much time looking at an interface that looks like a Saturday morning cartoon show before I get a craving for Cocoa Puffs...

+Quote Post
prutulz
posté ven. 30 août 2002, 13:27
Message #9

Inscrit : 12 janv. 01
Lieu : Brussels - BE
Membre no 183

QUOTE (Levon River @ Aug 17 2002, 17:06)
That's as much as I can determine about it, because I can spend only so much time looking at an interface that looks like a Saturday morning cartoon show before I get a craving for Cocoa Puffs...

LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Just be patient friends, major sequencers should all be released before this year's end...
Only Digidesign didnt make any announcements.

The solution is near (i hope...)

--------------------
Prutulz
RTFM... is usually not enough

+Quote Post
filarion
posté ven. 30 août 2002, 15:54
Message #10

Inscrit : 10 juil. 02
Lieu : Weimar - DE
Membre no 5,666

Hey, no dissing Live, it´s a wonderful program. Talking about good software, does anyone have info on whether Cycling ´74 is interested in porting Max/Msp at all?

Anyways, Live is a great program and together with an MPD16 it rocks, but I would not recommend it for classical scoring :p

If you´re interested in Live _and_ good techno you should check out the OpenSource : Players CD/LP released on Source Records. It has Akufen, Jan Jelinek and other great underground techno artists on it. Made 100% with Live. (sorry, had to plug that one :P)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 26 juin 2024, 00:41
- © MacMusic 1997-2008