MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classic Question: Which Hard Drive ?
camarao
posté jeu. 22 juin 2006, 23:26
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 11 oct. 04
Lieu : - PT
Membre no 52,995

Hi

I have a Powerbook with an external Lacie firewire hard drive which is kind of noisy. I would like to buy another firewire external hard drive for working everyday with the Powerbook and use the Lacie for backups only. I would need a silent one, with more or less 200gb and it has to be tough since I will take it in my live concerts and dj-sets.
I thought about the Carillon Ad1+ but I´m not sure...Are there any alternatives ?

Thank you,

Alex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 23 juin 2006, 03:09
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Glyph makes also music oriented enclosures but if money is in question, build your own with a seagate drive (dead silent) and an aluminium enclosure (no fan, there are sturdy models like the Pleiades) with an Oxford chipset. I'm really not convinced the price difference for a music oriented enclosure is worth it most of the time.

Have you an idea were you plan to buy it?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
camarao
posté ven. 23 juin 2006, 11:43
Message #3

Membre no 52,995

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Fri 23 Jun 2006, 02:09) *
Glyph makes also music oriented enclosures but if money is in question, build your own with a seagate drive (dead silent) and an aluminium enclosure (no fan, there are sturdy models like the Pleiades) with an Oxford chipset. I'm really not convinced the price difference for a music oriented enclosure is worth it most of the time.

Have you an idea were you plan to buy it?

Well...that is the problem.
I don´t know where to buy it and how to build it. Your solution seems very good but I'm a real nerd regarding hardware. Do you know if the Carillon's are good?

Thank you

Alex

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 26 juin 2006, 04:16
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

For Carillon I can't tell… The only people I know dedicated drives like these had Glyph ones and it was more a pro investment with a warranty in a peculiar environnement than a necessity for the specs of the drives.

To build an external hard drive it's a question of plugging 2 connectors and then a number of screws to set depending of the model, no rocket science here. wink.gif You'll need a few tools though (one or two screwdrivers). As long as you're not a brute and care about the drive (no static, not hammering the face with components) you're ok.

There are webshopping places in France, Germany or UK with everything you need (for the one I know). A bit of googling should bring you there, I can't tell for Portugal (but I can ask to a friend in Lisbon though) but certainly in Spain too. I'll try to catch him today wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
camarao
posté lun. 26 juin 2006, 07:37
Message #5

Membre no 52,995

Thank you again.

Your solution seems definitely the best.

+Quote Post
camarao
posté lun. 26 juin 2006, 21:13
Message #6

Membre no 52,995

Hi

I just saw this !
Do you think is a good buy ? It seems a Pleiades enclosure with a Seagate...

Alex

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 27 juin 2006, 13:36
Message #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

I'm going to make my little enquiry to see if it's one, Thomann is not cheap regarding drives…

In Portugal, you have chip7 who sells this enclosure (no fan, metal, the only drawback is the blue led, if you use the drive in the dark don't have it in front of you or cover the LED!) and these drives (most are manufacturer unknown… be wary, ask!).

I'll come back with a pricing for the pleiade+seagate from another source. Note the Pleiades (I've got 5 of them…) has blue led inside (behind the little holes, so the same warning on the LED applies wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 27 juin 2006, 14:02
Message #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

From the first german shop I found on Google:

enclosure 89€
Seagate drive 89€
total = 178€ wink.gif

Compare shipping prices too.

I'm trying to look if I can find a better place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mar. 27 juin 2006, 15:18
Message #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Membre no 2,758

The price for the enclosure seems to be around 86-89€ at best.

Prices are equivalent in Spain it seems. I found at least one other shop in portugal there may be more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
camarao
posté mar. 27 juin 2006, 22:21
Message #10

Membre no 52,995

Cool !
Thank you again !
I think I'll buy the seperate enclosure and the hard drive somewhere here in Portugal. I'll do some research too.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 29 avril 2024, 00:41
- © 440 Forums 2011