MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Powermac G5 To Get?, How much power do I need?
Mac-Dee
posté mer. 19 juil. 2006, 11:59
Message #11

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 20 févr. 04
Lieu : ACT - AU
Membre no 36,296

QUOTE (aportman @ Wed 19 Jul 2006, 06:32) *
Since you guys are on the subject. Is there any projected dates when MacIntel PC will be coming out? i am too thinking about purchasing a G5 to replace my very tired G4 desktop, but hate to spend that kind of money, only for it to become obsolete when the MacIntel PC's come out. I am trying to see if I should just go ahead and purchase a quad G5. As long as it would last me 4 or 5 years that would be great. Thanks for any input!

Allen

Hi i am from australia.
I have a Dual 2.5 G5 ... had it for 1 year 8 months had a few things replaced on it ... Power supply./optical drive/all the fans and now the optical drive a second time. I would recommend getting the new G5 if you have the money ... Do not get the G5 with the amd 8131 chipset its not very good with compatiblility ... with third party Cards DSP and PCI cards ... but as for power yeah a second hand G5 with out the chipset and you would be doing alright...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahaworld
posté jeu. 20 juil. 2006, 04:56
Message #12

Inscrit : 24 avril 04
Lieu : Knoxville - US
Membre no 41,728

I just bought a G5 Quad this week specifically because I did NOT want to get a desktop with the Intel chips just yet. I'm one of the play-it-safers who likes to wait till all the bugs get worked out first. I just got it home and out of the box, so I don't know how it's going to perform yet. You should know, however, that if you're planning on using Logic Pro, it only uses 2 of the processors. I went ahead and got the quad in hopes that Apple will catch up with it's own software (for Pete's sake) and release an update that will take advantage of all 4 processors. Also, the G5 Quad does NOT come with the Bluetooth-Airport Extreme card. You have to have that installed separately, so plan on spending another $150 on that, on top of the almost $4000 you'll spend on the Quad (after taxes).

Hey, Apple guys. . .does anybody NOT want Bluetooth and Airport capabilities these days? Come on! I bought a G4 PowerBook in 2003 and it came with Bluetooth AND Airport pre-installed! Can you think of a way to make an extra $150 bucks without making your buyers feel like stupid boneheads? "Yeah, I'd like to spend $4000 on a new computer, but whatever you do, don't install any Wireless hardware in this wireless age. I would rather pay extra for that and wait around at the Apple store for 3 hours while you install it!"

Okay. I'm done ranting. I'll report back once I get my studio up and running on this thing.

hahaworld

p.s. I talked to an Apple rep at the store, and even he didn't have any idea when the Intel desktops will come out.

Ce message a été modifié par hahaworld - jeu. 20 juil. 2006, 04:57.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté ven. 21 juil. 2006, 12:00
Message #13

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 10 févr. 06
Lieu : Hamburg - DE
Membre no 76,633

hahaworld, you're my latest hero. I see why you call yourself hahaworld. Got me grinnin'!

Good luck with your New Quad! Keep us informed. Both the Pros and Cons. Always liked the word: "Quad", I know it means 4, but what does it do! Is it something that will seriously improve the workload/flow?

Absolutely with you about the Bluetooth. Not including Airport and Bluetooth, it hurts. Ol' Stevie "Wonder" Jobs, just rams ya! No hello, small talk, forget a kiss and bam! Over. No, he ain't gonna call you, you'll be most likely calling him, again... 1-800-BITE MY APPLE. Mac is like a good 'Dealer' Love/Hate relationship. Love the 'Quality' hate the 'Price'. But, if you want the "good stuff" you keep going back... or quit.

Good luck. Congratulations. Create! Keep laughing hahaworld.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté ven. 21 juil. 2006, 13:52
Message #14

Advanced Member

Membre no 76,633

Sorry to hear about all the trouble mate. I know how long it can take to get Macs repaired in Oz, right, and expensive! I used the Service in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. I found Perth best. Great service, but because of its small staff your wait could be long, except if you give the guy $20 bucks. Which I often did in exchange not to have to return the next day. Often the trip was longer than the repair.

I must admit I have not heard of so many problems with a Mac as you described! Only thing I can think of would be either Heat or Dust. You know that "Reddish" dust that is on everything. Especially Queensland and Perth. Forget about Alice Springs! Heat and Dust might have something to do with it.

All Computers get dust inside, but you know what I mean red Aussie Dust. It has grit particles. City dust is smut and grease... Oz has that Mother Earth Thang... Pure. Heavy. You gotta live there to know I'm not talkin' my usual ramblings. Heat and Dust, that is what the Doctors Says. Solution. Cool room, right in Australia, well at least no direct sunlight and keep the room isolated, i.e., close door, make certain there are no snakes, spiders, wombats or Cane Toads nesting inside computer housing. $235.00. You'll be billed by Kangaroo Collections.

+Quote Post
hahaworld
posté sam. 22 juil. 2006, 06:26
Message #15

Inscrit : 24 avril 04
Lieu : Knoxville - US
Membre no 41,728

Hey, Mac Daddy!

Yeah, you've got to laugh at it all, or you'll be ready to go out lookin' for some heads to bust.

So far, so good with the Quad. I'm slowly getting everything up and running, and it runs reeeeeal good.

Smooth.

Silky.

And you know, it's not that I really hate the price. If something is great, I don't care to pay a lot for it. I wish they had just installed the Bluetooth card already and tacked another $150 onto the price tag. That would have been fine with me. It's backwards. Why would anyone who's buying a high-end desktop NOT want wireless compatibility? It's just stupid! Reminds me of the joke:

How many dyslexics does it change to take a lightbulb?

It's just backwards, and it doesn't give us consumers that "good feeling" about the companies we support with our hard-earned money. We'd at least like a semblance of feeling like the companies care about us (yeeeaah. . .). It's the little things that make or break us. Somebody said once that the big things in life determine what you do, and the little things determine who you are.

Am I making any sense here? I'm sorry. I feel like I'm wasting valuable space now. I'm off the soapbox. I'm done preaching. I have the wireless card installed, so I'll just shut up about it.

Have a great weekend, Mac Daddy!

hahaworld

p.s. when you go golfing, do you get a Mac Caddy? :-)

Ce message a été modifié par hahaworld - sam. 22 juil. 2006, 06:30.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté dim. 23 juil. 2006, 17:46
Message #16

Advanced Member

Membre no 76,633

hahaworld, glad to hear you're up and running. However, I don't understand Smooth and Silky? What is the difference? Is it Star Trek Wrap Speed... "I touched the Return Key and crossed the Milky Way" Different or "I'm still in Kansas, but in a Porche" Different?

I have always been attracted to the 'Word' Quad. But I never had the opportunity to try one except in the Retail Store and it had nothing except the: "Hi, Try, Buy!" Software. I wanted to see it 'In the heat of battle". You are the only Musician I know, indirectly with one. I would go out on a limb and say most of the "Users" in the Mac Forum use OSX G4/G5 Dual??? Only based on what I have seen or can remember.

In my limited use of proper english, Smooth and Silky have to do with eith: Cool or feels seriously messing with my Sense Of Touch. I digress, yet again.

From Mac World:
Power Mac G5 Quad configuration, clocked at 2.5GHz and featuring two dual-core G5 chips, can encode standard definition video content in Final Cut Pro 5 up to 60 percent faster than the dual-processor 2.7GHz system that preceded it, for example. Adobe Photoshop runs a series of 45 commonly used filters and actions 43 percent faster on a Quad system; Adobe After Effects ca render video effects up to 69 percent faster, LightWave 3D renders animation up to 59 percent faster and the Bioinformatics Benchmark System (BBS version 3) can complete a comparison of genomic sequences up to 39 percent faster.

By Joel Santo Domingo
Apple professionals expect a speed bump with each successive Power Mac model that comes out, and the 2.5-GHz Power Mac G5 Quad ($9,522 direct, $7,023 without monitor) delivers a doozy of one. With the first Intel-powered consumer Macs rumored to be right around the corner (they may be announced at the MacWorld Expo in early January), it is interesting that Apple would release the G5 Quad as the probable last hurrah for the PowerPC processor—but at least they're going out on top.

The Power Mac G5 Quad: Seat belt not included!
Apple's latest desktop machine offers exponential increases in speed

November 16, 2005 (Computerworld) -- NEW YORK -- Yesterday, I had an hour to work with Apple Computer Inc.'s new Power Mac Quad G5, and for anyone in the broadcast, sciences, music, print and photography industries, I have some advice: Place your orders now!

hahaworld, Smooth, Silky, whatever... From what I have been reading. You have one badd ass Mac. Yes, I want one! Damn they're expensive! You da man!

+Quote Post
Henry Morris
posté dim. 23 juil. 2006, 19:05
Message #17

Inscrit : 26 nov. 02
Lieu : Alpujarras - ES
Membre no 9,597

Hi - have been in a similar position - i.e. to wait or not to wait, that is the question ... and finally decided on going for the PowerMac G5 Quad. But it was constantly crashing right from the start. After many many hours of following Apple Care directions, without a remedy, it was finally declared dead on arrival. Replacement sent out from Apple. Exactly the same faults, crashing constantly etc etc. Sent it back and demanded reiumbursement!

While all this was going on I consulted the Apple G5 forum - many times! - and other sources, and found out that I was one of MANY who have been having problems with this machine.

I have decided to be patient and wait for a stable machine to appear, one that is not going to be redundant VERY soon, like the Quad.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
posté lun. 24 juil. 2006, 09:20
Message #18

Advanced Member

Membre no 76,633

henrymorris, terrible, story. It happens. Too bad to you. So, what are you going to do? Mac won't replace it or at least the Hard Drives? I would go nuts if something like that happened to me... hahaworld got me interested in the G5 Quad. Then I read some positive reviews, great in fact. They sound "Wicked" but, not "Evil Wicked" like you're experiencing. Ouch! How long have you been without a Coumputer? What is Mac saying? Where is this happening? Which country? Is it under Warranty? Must be, they're New! Mac Care?

I would indeed be going nuts after dropping serious bucks, they are very expensive. I think I read somewhere 7 thousand and change, without Monitor! (Yes, hahaworld and "No Bluetooth"!) Yes, if it happened to me... I'd be the dude on CNN being arrested and held in custody for kicking Steve Jobs butt. And no, I would not be hiding my face I'd be shouting directly in the camera... "I'm gonna keep kickin his butt until he replaces my computer! It ain't about the money, it's about the Down Time, aggrevation, Stress, Sleepless nights. I freak when a Plug-In is not connecting. Absolute Ape if I was having your problems. Are you rich? Cool? Master please help Grass Hopper understand this knowledge and wisdom! I'm hyper ventilating at the thought.

So what does Mac say? Are you an experienced User? Did you convert from PC? What Software? Is it Hardware or Software? I'm seriously between a Rock and a hard place. Reviews, say: I better get one today... Then your story. Then there's hahaworld, Smooth and Silky, Warp Speed! Some guys have all the luck... he's probably not good looking like us.

Perhaps I should stop dreaming and writing and get back to work on my solid G5 Dual 2 GHz. I guess I'm only flirting, I'm happily married, but, those new ones sho isz pudry. Good luck with this crisis. Please keep us up on what happens. If it gets real ugly maybe we can send letters into Stevie to show or support? Might look good coming from the Mac Forum? Are we not the real link to music development and/or testing? Or, send him my Quote about kickin' his butt! Good luck. Ugly story so far. Hope it has a Mactacular ending.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 21 juin 2024, 21:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008