MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garageband 2 To Logic Express, Is it a big difference?
MIDImodesitt
posté sam. 10 déc. 2005, 18:05
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 09 déc. 05
Lieu : Encinitas - US
Membre no 73,654

I've been using Garageband 2 for a while, incorperating AU plugins and instruments, and I'd like to know what the key differences between it and Logic Express are. Is it really worth the 300 bucks when there are so many Audio Unit plugins available for use in Garageband?

--------------------
BPM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté mar. 13 déc. 2005, 00:39
Message #2

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

Logic is a more full featured and complex piece of software.

Beside the Garage Band instruments, you get the EXSP24 sample player, ES 1, ESM, ESP, EFM soft synths.

It has more powerful automation for mixing, it's more cpu effecient so you can use more instruments and effects.

It also comunicates directly to external midi modules, something Garage Band can't do.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
MIDImodesitt
posté mar. 13 déc. 2005, 01:01
Message #3

Membre no 73,654

Thanks for your input.. As far as the synths that ship with Logic, are they much better than the free AU's such as Automat, Crystal etc..?
I didn't know about the cpu efficiency- that's a big plus because I work with a lot of software instrument tracks effects.

There's a AU plugin for Garageband ("midiO.component")that is supposed to provide MIDI out support.. I don't know if it works yet.

I guess the biggest benefit for me would be that I could automate functions other that just volume and track-pan, and get out of the 16 bit arena.

--------------------
BPM

+Quote Post
CaptainAmerica
posté mar. 28 mars 2006, 17:19
Message #4

Inscrit : 25 mars 06
Lieu : Sammamish - US
Membre no 78,615

QUOTE (MIDImodesitt @ Dec 13 2005, 00:01)
Thanks for your input.. As far as the synths that ship with Logic, are they much better than the free AU's such as Automat, Crystal etc..?
I didn't know about the cpu efficiency- that's a big plus because I work with a lot of software instrument tracks effects.

There's a AU plugin for Garageband ("midiO.component")that is supposed to provide MIDI out support.. I don't know if it works yet.

I guess the biggest benefit for me would be that I could automate functions other that just volume and track-pan, and get out of the 16 bit arena.

Where can I get a list of available plug-in's for Garageband? Also, will these plug in's work in Logic Expresss if I upgrade? Thanks.

+Quote Post
MIDImodesitt
posté mar. 28 mars 2006, 18:57
Message #5

Membre no 73,654

Where can I get a list of available plug-in's for Garageband? Also, will these plug in's work in Logic Expresss if I upgrade? Thanks.
Go to the software section of this website and look at plugins and instruments under AU. Garageband and Logic both use Audio Units only. I upgraded to Logic several months ago, and it's well worth it.

--------------------
BPM

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté jeu. 30 mars 2006, 00:47
Message #6

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

All of the Garage Band instruments are available in Logic. the instruments in garage Band are based on the the same sound engines as the ones in Logic Pro, but have less adjustable parameters.

The instruments in Logic Pro are in the same league as Native Instruments, and Arturia, ect.

The ES1 is a powerful analogesque synth, the EFM1 is their new FM synth.

EXSP24 sample player, several 3rd party sample libraies are available for it. Go to soundsonline.com and search on EXS.

Plus any 3rd party Audio unit, except I would avoid Plugs from Steinberg, they are problematic.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
Bubowski
posté jeu. 30 mars 2006, 08:53
Message #7

Inscrit : 25 août 05
Lieu : Santa Rosa - US
Membre no 69,157

Besides the additional instruments, the biggest deal is that you have far more MIDI control including much better automation functionality, variable meter, tempo and key etc. If your music needs to change temp or meter, you can't do that in GB at all. A major problem for classical or modern jazz (or prog).

+Quote Post
MIDImodesitt
posté jeu. 30 mars 2006, 20:52
Message #8

Membre no 73,654

GarageBand makes a great "notepad" for Logic, too. Tou can start a project in GarageBand, and then later open it up in Logic because of their compatibility. The only thing to watch out for is you don't get the real time tuning and timing enhancment like in garageband, but us pros don't need to use that right? wink.gif

--------------------
BPM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 11 juin 2024, 18:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008