MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orchestration, Tips and Tricks for composers.
jesshmusic
posté mer. 24 mars 2004, 17:58
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 mars 04
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 37,404

Hello All!

I thought it would be good to have a topic devoted to the art of orchestration. Great things can be accomplished when composers put their brains together.

Especially in orchestration... certainly the most difficult aspect (and most rewarding) of composition.

Feel free to get it rolling. Here are a few tricks I have learned in my days:

1. Less is more. Don't be afraid to have smaller parts of the ensemble playing. I'm sure everyone know's this.. An orchestra playing with every instrument at full force the entire piece is boring.

2. Know instrument's limitations. The bassoons, for instance, will not be heard very well in loud sections of the orchestration with a lot of instruments playing, but they can still make for good filler. During the big choral part in Beethoven's Ninth, they are playing the fast ostinato pattern with the strings.

3. Listen to as much music as possible... especially modern. Analyze scores and see what the masters did. Research.

These are vague things. I hope many different composers will post specific tips and tricks they have picked up over the years. Instrumentalists can also use this topic to tell us composers what not to do. We sometimes can make life hard on you guys. (Especially Horn in F players!)

Jess Hendricks
Composer & Arranger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toekneenose
posté jeu. 25 mars 2004, 07:42
Message #2

Inscrit : 27 déc. 03
Lieu : Madeline - US
Membre no 31,894

Actually, I'd be more interested in discussing how to make a sampled orchestra more nearly resemble the real thing. Having had considerable experience with arranging and orchestrating, my focus is on making my midi system sound like a live orchestra. Since most of the readers in this forum will be computer types, that might be the more valuable discussion.

There was a time when the samples were so poor that sampled orchestral instruments were severly limited. That seems to be changing as the samples, software, hardware and midi techniques improve.

Any takers? Or am I the only one?

+Quote Post
X4fer
posté ven. 26 mars 2004, 14:42
Message #3

Inscrit : 27 févr. 04
Lieu : Asheville - US
Membre no 37,017

I'm getting started with orchestration and am a relatively new user of Logic. I'm moving into the field of soundtrack composition for film and video (I've been a video producer for about 14 years). So I'm interested both in the topics of using various orchestral instruments effectively, and in how to make sampled instruments sound good.

Looking forward to it!

Daniel Barber
New Context Productions
www.newcontext.com

+Quote Post
MrDee
posté dim. 28 mars 2004, 08:22
Message #4

Inscrit : 04 janv. 04
Lieu : Brisbane - AU
Membre no 32,416

Hey all great topic - both sides so i'll add to both...

I'm studying compostion at uni atm and im in my second year so here's some things that i have figured...

1. Simple is good, complex is good - both is perfect.
2. Instruments are tools that make sounds - and more than what they were intended for. For example a violin can be bowed in so many different ways, brass can be flicked with fingernails to make interesting percussion sections, there are so many different aspects of the instrument which can be explored that not many ppl are willing to plunge into.
3. Learn to score section by section - ie strings, then upper brass, then lower brass, then woodwind, etc
4. There is more than simply 4|4, 3|4 and 6|8 time. Try doing 7|8 and 10|8 and so on they work so well!

And as for the computer side...
I'm currently using the EWQL Symphonic Library Silver Ed. and it's incredible. It does do quite a bit for you with respect to sounds placement and so on. But before i invested in that i was using reason's orckestor soundbank and the challenge in that was not only the placements but also the style (like the envelopes, velocity, etc etc etc). Bascially in reason what i ended up doing was creating templates of different styles - so fast string passages would have a much quicker envelope, while slow passages would have a more open one.

Hope this was some good!

+Quote Post
PoetryAnimal
posté mar. 6 avril 2004, 00:10
Message #5

Inscrit : 01 févr. 04
Lieu : Eau Claire - US
Membre no 34,678

I also dabble in orchestration, all in Reason. The samples in the orkester soundbank are pretty damn good, but as far as "real" sounding goes, an effective reverb is mandatory!

+Quote Post
fastlanephil
posté mar. 6 avril 2004, 05:17
Message #6

Inscrit : 21 déc. 02
Lieu : Shelton - US
Membre no 10,225

I checked out The Garritan Personal Orchestra. The weird thing about it is that velocity is routed to the mod wheel although you can change it to the keys for the piano. If you listen to the demos at thier site you understand why they do this. You get a much more realistic feel because you can swell the volume at whim and with percision. You can check it out at garritan.com. It does need a 733 mhz G4 minimum and as much RAM as possible.

+Quote Post
toekneenose
posté mer. 7 avril 2004, 08:52
Message #7

Inscrit : 27 déc. 03
Lieu : Madeline - US
Membre no 31,894

Your right about Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO). It's a well done set of samples. I've only just installed them in my Mac. I've played with them a little, but I have yet to find the time to sit down and create a composition because I have yet to learn how to use Logic. I guess the term "newbie" applies, even though I've worked as a composer and arranger for years.

Still, from what I've heard so far, the GPO samples should do nicely. My challenge will be to learn how to use samples and thier dynamics to score rather than live musicians. I'm looking forward to the process.

I marvel at some of the music I hear that has been created with samples. Learning those tricks, I imagine, will be somewhat similar to learning how to write for a real orchestra. Learning how to do a new thing, or an old thing differently, is always the challenge.

Any composers out there who care to share some tips and tricks they've learned to create orchestral pieces using samples? Any suggestions for a really great sounding set of choir samples to go with GPO?

+Quote Post
MrDee
posté mer. 7 avril 2004, 14:50
Message #8

Inscrit : 04 janv. 04
Lieu : Brisbane - AU
Membre no 32,416

There is an outstanding choir set out - i think its a bit complex to use though and im not sure of the name - its something on the lines of 'Voices of the Apocalypse"

+Quote Post
Ewchymlaen
posté mer. 21 avril 2004, 10:54
Message #9

Inscrit : 26 nov. 03
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 29,731

Voices of the Apocalypse is an outstanding package. I haven't used it, it's quite expensive, requires a Gigasampler - which I don't have - and I haven't had enough opportunity to use it, but I have heard the demos. It samples every syllable at all octaves across the register allowing you to create very realistic sounds and words.

As far as using an orchestra within Logic, it's very difficult to sound authentic. A lot of attention must be paid to velocity, note value and envelope. Don't rely on reverb too much, it can swamp the overall mix and degrade the natural sound of the instrument, but it is vital in adding texture and size to your piece. Learn how to use Logic's hyperdraw, that will help.

+Quote Post
X4fer
posté mer. 21 avril 2004, 14:09
Message #10

Inscrit : 27 févr. 04
Lieu : Asheville - US
Membre no 37,017

I have a pretty basic question on this. I have Logic and haven't used sample libraries other than the ones included in Logic itself. Garritan Personal Orch. seems like a good candidate for me. I'm curious how to get the range of sounds and articulations out of a violin when I'm using a keyboard to drive it. Where are the lines between using, say, a bowed violin sample vs. a plucked sample, using the parameters you can alter with the keyboard (e.g. attack, velocity, duration), and altering envelope characteristics.

Just trying to visualize this in general. I'm sure that this could get pretty hairy in extreme circumstances, but I'm just wanting to have a reasonable level of control over things that one might reasonably want to do within the context of a piece with some variability in it.

TIA,

Daniel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - lundi 23 sept. 2024, 22:24
- © 440 Forums 2011