MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Choice Of Multitrack Music Software
keybie
posté ven. 7 oct. 2005, 22:35
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 07 oct. 05
Membre no 70,977

Reading the "rumor" websites to see if/when a new Powerbook is around the corner I'm ready to get one any time now. A 15" Powerbook that is, at 1.5 or 1.67GHz (or perhaps even faster?) biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm pretty clueless to the software issue regarding music making huh.gif
So far (having used an Macs, pre OSX) I really haven't used Macs for music at all. What I have used (and still use) is an Atari Mega STe running Emagic/C-Lab Notator SL (the precursor to Logic on the Mac as well as on the Atari ST of course) as a MIDI sequencer, controlling my various MIDI keyboards, samplers and modules. Works great! smile.gif

But I don't have anything to record audio with, which is where the new Powerbook will come in.For the time being I'm perfectly happy continuing to use the Atari ST for MIDI, and the MIDI modules as audio sources. But I would like to do multitrack recording, with some way to sync the Atari ST to the Mac (MIDI sync?) so I can add tracks. It would also be great if I could add effects etc. within the mix, and since my rack-sampler is time consuming and cumbersome to use (there's no hard drive for instance, so all samples have to be loaded from floppy disks) it would be very convenient with a "soft sampler" on the Mac which I could control via MIDI from an external keyboard just like with my external rack sampler.
I don't have any real need for soft-synths right now as I already have all the synths I need (and I like physical knobs and switches as opposed to using the mouse for everything), but this might be something to look into later.

So what kind of software will allow me to do this?
And what kind of software will allow me to do this and let me expand later if I want to go all (or more or less) virtual?

I've been told by others that "Garageband" which comes with any current Mac is something to look into, but I always thought it was more or less a "toy" where you cut/paste pre-made drum loops and all kinds of other pre-recorded instrument loops into "your own" songs. Probably fun to play with for a while, but not what I'd call "making music". But perhaps I've gotten it all wrong.
Does it do multitrack recording, sync to MIDI etc?

Then there's Logic express. I understand that it does "everything" -correct?

I really don't know what else there is.

As for audio hardware, I think I can do fine with the built-in stereo audio input of the Powerbook for a while as I have a decent mixer which is pretty flexible. Later on I might need more inputs, so expansion options for audio interfaces is probably something I'll need (or upgrade to a new program that does this if there is free software that I can start out with to begin with).

Thanks for any suggestions/comments tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bassman1976
posté sam. 8 oct. 2005, 20:17
Message #2

Inscrit : 03 oct. 05
Lieu : Ypsilanti - US
Membre no 70,821

Not to sound harsh, but in the time it took you to type the post you could have checked out plenty of manufacturer's sites and seen what's out there. Live, Reason, Traktor, etc... all have great free demos you can pull down and try out for size. I'm in the same boat as you just getting the feet wet (what a terrible series of metaphores!) and it just takes some patience to explore what's out there.

As for GB - it's really a pretty slick piece of software. I'm still on v1, but nowhere near tired of it. Get yourself some kind of USB/Firewire Interface so the computer can "talk" to whatever you've got running externally, and I'd almost gurantee you'll be pleased with the results. It is a bit more than just something to play pre-recorded loops with - and it's already on the mac you plan to buy. Give it a whirl.

Best of luck!

+Quote Post
keybie
posté mer. 12 oct. 2005, 11:19
Message #3

Rookie

Membre no 70,977

Considering I don't actually have a Mac to try any MacOS X software on it is a little "harsh" as you put it, but nevertheless your suggestion is a good one, and I'll definitely try out whatever I come across when I do buy that 15" Powerbook.

I was going to ask if there's a demo version of Logic express, but actually I found a link myself here.

unsure.gif As for GarageBand: can it sync to MIDI?
If not, is there other free or cheap software out there that lets me do multitrack recording, syncing (via MIDI) to my Atari ST MIDI sequencer, adding studio effects like reverb, delay, chorus etc. to each track etc?

blink.gif I'm also wondering about "soft instruments": is there a common standard for all of these, or do some only work with say, Logic/Logic Express while other soft instruments only work with say, Steinberg Cubase?

Ce message a été modifié par keybie - mer. 12 oct. 2005, 11:21.

+Quote Post
Chris C.L
posté dim. 16 oct. 2005, 23:03
Message #4

Inscrit : 18 juil. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 47,155

hi keybe
I dont have much experience with lots of different brand of sequencers, but needing to upgrade myself have been keeping an eye on certain products and their development. I use cubase SE(almost cubase's equivelent of logic express). Its a perfectly capable program, except its a budget version- cut down. My 2 reasons for wanting to upgrade is- no midi clock+ no external midi to vst effects. I just looked at logic site to check specs but cant understand half the jargon. With lots of outboard stuff these are things you need to double check. Is there a studio shop you can visit to at least test the software?
The reason I will not upgrade to a full cubase package is that for a huge cost you end up with a load of virtual instruments you dont need. Metro's the one I am hopeing to switch to http://www.sagantech.biz/. Dont know what its like for lots of hardware but the site's forum+ developer are very friendly and happy to discuss your needs. Again the full version is the only one with things like midi clock though but a lot more affordable than logic pro.
A full list of mac sequencers is here http://www.macmusic.org/softs/softcat.php/...ang/EN/id/7014/

+Quote Post
mortalengines
posté mar. 18 oct. 2005, 01:48
Message #5

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 08 mai 05
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 65,373

I currently using Live & if I remember correctly, it can sync to an external midi source. It is not that much cheaper than Cubase SX though (which, to the best of my knowledge, is about as low as the pros go...the next step up is Logic Pro). I don't really know much about Logic Express so I can't say anything good or bad. There is a learning curve with Live but it is a nice program.

+Quote Post
kylebellamy
posté mar. 1 nov. 2005, 19:36
Message #6

Inscrit : 01 nov. 05
Lieu : Odenton - US
Membre no 71,967

A note on GB and recording:

I found out quickly that the main limitation of GB is that you are allowed 2 effects on a track. So if youhave reverb and delay on a guitar track and it's too tinny you can't add a third EQ effect unless you drop one of the other effects or squash the track and then add EQ. That, as we all know is risky if you are not certain that you want those other effects permanent.

I'm edging towards Logic as it is the most versitle of the bunch. GB, however, is a load of fun for writing quick stuff on so do use it and you will enjoy yourself.

+Quote Post
keybie
posté ven. 4 nov. 2005, 02:31
Message #7

Rookie

Membre no 70,977

Thanks for those comments smile.gif

Can someone please tell me approximately how much disk space a typical song made with Logic express or similar software takes up? huh.gif

I'm trying to determine how big an external hard drive I need to buy for this (I'll also be using the same drive for video-editing) -all from a 15" 1.67GHz Powerbook G4.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 4 nov. 2005, 04:17
Message #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

5 MB per minute per mono audio channel, rest is peanuts.

Go big (the 200-300 GB are in a reasonable range now) and back up regularly on decent DVDs

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 20 oct. 2024, 14:14
- © MacMusic 1997-2008