MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
> Osx On Pc
japanarian
posté dim. 28 août 2005, 19:20
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 20 août 05
Lieu : North Bay - CA
Membre no 68,943

I'm currently a PC user considering the switch to Mac. Not sure if it's just a filthy rumour, but I've heard that OSX will be available for PC users soon. If this is true, would there be any reason to still make the switch? I'm curious to know what you guys and gals think.

The J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Réponse(s)
deaconblue
posté lun. 5 sept. 2005, 15:39
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 janv. 03
Lieu : Austin - US
Membre no 11,156

Hey the J,

The Macs reputation is due to the OS primarily, but also to the hardware. Since Apple specs and produces both, there are no driver issues nor incompatibilities with the different pieces working well together. The OS provides the best and most easily used interface tied directly to the hardware via the HID layer.

When the Mac switches to an Intel processor, it will still be a Mac. The processor does not make the machine. So, it is not the same as putting OS X on an Acer or a Dell, etc. as those machines can still be hindered by the various components used to build them (the modem, the sound card, the PCI bus, etc.).

Being that this is the Mac Music forum, I will admit to being biased. However, I have used and built both Macs and PCs (access to a few dead Macs can yeild some impressive results) and after years of the MS rebuild (format and reinstall) on various machines due to driver issues I have sold every PC I ever had and gone 100% Mac in our house. From my 6 year old son to my app/web server and everything in between with no real issues to support nor recover from.

PCs are great machines and there are simply some things you can't run on a Mac (some developers don't have either the time, the skill set or the desire to port their apps over) but from an ease of use and maintenance aspect, the Mac wins (IMHO).

If you have no pressing need to jump to the Mac yet, then hang on to your current set up. If your current machine has grown long enough in the tooth that replacing it is inevitable and you have the extra scratch to buy a new G5 (for a Pro Level Audio set up) and the OS Apps you'll need to run on it, then I'd recommend switching over. Or if you just have some extra cash handy, buy a used late model Mac with OS X and "test drive"it to see if it fits you.

Hope that helps out. Sorry for a long winded response and hope it didn't drive more questions than it answered.

peace,
deacon

Ce message a été modifié par deaconblue - lun. 5 sept. 2005, 15:41.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 16 mai 2024, 03:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008