MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whining Hard Drive - Strange But True.
Podfather
posté lun. 22 août 2005, 17:23
Message #11

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 juil. 05
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 68,194

I spoke to Apple ( again) and they agreed this should not happen. I did listen very closely to the fans with the program running but I am almost certian it is the hard drive.

I have taken it to a local Apple service repair centre today and we will soon know what the problem is as they are going to test it under warranty.

I will let you know what they say. blink.gif

My first instinct is to agree with td3k as with the case open I could distinclty hear the whine coming from the hard drive area of the case. But I could have been mistaken.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fictionmusic
posté mar. 23 août 2005, 07:16
Message #12

Inscrit : 10 avril 04
Lieu : Ottawa - CA
Membre no 40,632

Someone else has already mentioned the nap fix (which imo is in fact a fix).

My computer whines too.

A good way to find out if it is a Nap issue is to mouse over some functions in a program and see if the whine pitch changes at all. If it does you should download CHUD tools and install it
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8506

Once installed go to:
Open hardware prefs/and uncheck nap (which is what the whole nap thing is about)

That should do it.

Every time you fire up your mac you will need to uncheck nap but other than that you'll be fine.

I have had a G5 2x2 for over 2 years and its been like that. It is on almost all day every day and it works flawlessly (unlike some software I use) so like I said , imo, it is a real fix.

+Quote Post
Podfather
posté mer. 24 août 2005, 16:15
Message #13

Membre no 68,194

OKay - here is what the Apple service centre have said.

The whine was being caused by the CPU running too hot as one of the cooling fans was not spinning up due to an incorrect plug on the motherboard.

I will take the G5 home tonght and test to se if this is the case.

+Quote Post
Podfather
posté jeu. 25 août 2005, 07:51
Message #14

Membre no 68,194

Well I have taken the Mac home and it is still whining so I tries the nap fix and it worked.

I would like to thank all that mentioned it as the annoying squeak and whine have now disaappeared. My only gripe is that nobody at Apple support mentioned it and even the service centre did not know about it. It seems the only real support you can get is on forums - which are free???

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté jeu. 25 août 2005, 18:07
Message #15

Inscrit : 05 déc. 03
Lieu : Memphis - US
Membre no 30,424

i never settled for the nap fix. i kept taking my computer to apple and calling until they fixed the issue. this is a total defect.. what is the deal with there power to the cpu issue. if you turn off nap and it quiets the sound, what is to say that the power supply is not going to fry something else.
power has to flow in a computer correctly. each component relies on it. if you use a fix to quiet the cpu the power is still faulty from the source.
i have had it with apple and there faulty support, and faulty hardware design. when my G5 dies. i am going back to intel. at least with intel there are not any broken promises. you know what you are getting into, and you are not lied to like you are an idiot (not saying you are), but apple tech do that. when you buy an apple. once payment is made. all defects, and faulty software becomes your fault. isn't there a lemon law in the United States that protects us from this kinda retail?

+Quote Post
Podfather
posté lun. 29 août 2005, 22:34
Message #16

Membre no 68,194

editbrain, I certainly take your point about Apple treating me like an idiot. I even wrote a complaint on their customer survey email they sent me. Luckily My Mac is leased over two years with free Apple Care thrown in. So if it fries, they can buy a new one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 7 juin 2024, 18:59
- © MacMusic 1997-2008