MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting From Scratch
mpnow
posté mer. 20 juil. 2005, 08:20
Message #1

Groupe : Validating
Inscrit : 29 janv. 05
Lieu : Lyon - FR
Membre no 59,433

I want to get a software to start recording music, both virtual music and live, direct input (guitars, voices, even drums sometimes). I find Garageband pretty weak. Is it Pro Tools rather than Logic that I need ? Or something else?
(Please do not baffle me with talk of MIDI etc.)

I presume I also need to buy a soundcard (which will go in one of the empty PCI slots). If so, which one?

Does the fact that I am going to buy that Formac Studio TVR (or CANOPUS ADVC 110) to convert vhs to digital make any difference to anything?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
posté mer. 20 juil. 2005, 08:56
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 30 juil. 03
Lieu : Malmö - SE
Membre no 22,159

What do you mean by virtual music? Software synthesizers?

From your other requirements I would guess that the 450$ Digidesign Mbox would be your best option. You get a soundcard with 2 inputs and 2 outputs and Pro Tools software. It is running off the usb-port, not one of the pci-slots. Since it only has 2 inputs it is not ideal to record drums through, if you're picky: That would require maybe 8 or something inputs (and 8 or something good mics). But you could always use a mixer to get a good stereo recording of your drums.

In the fabled music industry Pro Tools is standard when it comes to recording, and it is a good soft to work in.
People heavily into software synths (which cannot really be separated from midi; I got the fealing midi is not your cup of tea), often claim that Pro Tools is lacking and that Logic is king.

Be aware that Pro Tools only runs on Digidesign soundcards, and selected M-Audio ones. Pro Tools won't even run on your computers built-in soundcard.

WHat kind of computer do you have?

Ce message a été modifié par abcdaniel - mer. 20 juil. 2005, 08:58.

+Quote Post
mpnow
posté mer. 20 juil. 2005, 09:03
Message #3

Membre no 59,433

Thanks.

I have a G5 dual 2Ghz with tons of RAM and two large hard disks.

I am prepared to lern about MIDI. But at the moment I just do not get it.

I understand that what you sing into a mike can be recorded on to the computer through the soundcard.
I assumed that Logic has loads of inbuilt virtual sounds and that therefore they can be recorded onto the computer.
So whence the MIDI? Is this simply the name of the interface between the external keyboard and the triggering of those inbuilt virutal sounds?

+Quote Post
jasonmaass
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 06:12
Message #4

Inscrit : 29 août 03
Lieu : Lindenhurst - US
Membre no 23,831

Thats right Midi is quite simply put, just a "Trigger" . It is used to activate something, whether a sampling program, external sound module, or your elecric keyboard (Triton etc.). As for a good studio set up, I see someone already recommended a Pro Tools Mbox. How much are you looking to spend. The statement that pro tools systems only run on digidesign sound cards is not true. You do not have to use your sound card in your computer to run any Pro Tools rig!!!!!! On every Pro Tools LE interface there are inputs and stereo outs. Also one year ago it could be said that pro tools and midi dont go together. Not the case anymore. The newest versions of pro tools supports midi quite easily and efficiently. But like i said how much are you looking to spend. Unfortunatly in audio that is the first question we all have to ask our selfs. Let me know!
--Jay--

+Quote Post
mpnow
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 07:05
Message #5

Membre no 59,433

Thanks Jason.

It is difficult to price it. It is only a home studio, so it seemes pointless going crazy. If Pro Tools is all I need both for live input and for some 'virtual' (ie synthetic/digital) input, alongside a keyboard and a decent soundcard (say with 4-8 inputs) then that should be enough to be going on with I hope.

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 08:10
Message #6

Inscrit : 10 juil. 05
Lieu : San Francisco - US
Membre no 67,641

MIDI is kind of easy to understand if you remember that MIDI imput is not audio (or rather) any sound input. Midi is just information, like how hard you pressed a key on your keyboard, or on some systems how long a string vibrates and at what pitch. But MIDI -- musical instrument/ digital interface is just information -- digital information -- that your computer can interpret and turn into sound --and you choose the "control surface " -- i.e., a keyboard.
You can get internal --or external/firewire -- soundcards to "make" or interpret the information, turn it into "sound" or audio input that your sequencer can use, or you can get software like arturia's moog or mini moog for example, that can make it's own sounds directly by just plugging in a control surface ( like a keyboard ).
It took me a long time to get this too, but when the light comes on, you'll go ah-ha, and that will be that.
And, I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but Ableton Live version 4 -- and soon to be 5 -- is an exceptional tool that allows midi input, live audio input ( vocals, etc ) on the fly or in a studio. Download the demo, and check it out. Or, just read articals in a few computer music mags, and then try it. It is pretty amazing software, and surprisingly can run extremely well on a G3 processor and 500MB ram without a hitch.
Hope that helps !! blink.gif

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 11:08
Message #7

Membre no 22,159

mpnow, have you got any other studio gear at the moment? mixers, mics, mic preamps or anything other?

the necessary things for recording into a computer is:
*a preamp (for microphones or if you record ie bass or guiter right into the computer, without a guitar/bass amplifier)
*an analogue/digital (AD) converter to get analogue sounds digitized
*a software to record to and edit your audio in

A basic soundcard is just an analogue/digital converter to get sounds into the computer, combined with a digital/analogue converter to get digital sounds out of the computer onto your speakers or headphones. Many of the musicoriented soundcards comes with built-in preamps, but again, some don't. The Mbox is attractive because it comes with good A/D D/A converters AND good preamps AND good software (Pro Tools), at a good price.

On the other hand, you could probably use the G5's internal soundcard (it's half decent) along with an external preamp (almost any mixer will have preamps) and some other cheapish software, to get started with computer recording,

On top of this you'll need a midi interface (to get midi-information into the computer) and some sort of midi keyboard.

On the other hand, most sequencer softwares let you "draw" your midiinformation in an edit window. Very theoretical, like writing scoresheets sort of, but then you don't need midiinterface or midikeyboard.
That's what I do, but then again, I'm very cut-and-paste-boom-bap biggrin.gif

Hope this wasn't too much or too patronizing...just wanted to point out some of the basics. Tell us what kind of stuff you already have and what you are willing to spend!
Peace.

+Quote Post
cheesevolcano
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 11:45
Message #8

Inscrit : 11 juil. 05
Lieu : Amsterdam - NL
Membre no 67,651

Ever seen a piano play itself? I mean the ones with a roll of paper inside, with holes punched in it, that the piano reads and plays back as notes.

That's what midi is - note information for instruments. But it includes all the performance information to play anything that understands the language - midi.

The instruments can be hardware boxes full of sounds (sound modules), synths and keyboards that have their own sounds and virtual instruments. All they need is a midi in socket to receive the performance information you send them.

You can write the performance information (midi data) by recording your performance as midi data onto your workstation, or programming it in direct.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 13:09
Message #9

Membre no 22,159

Oh, and there's another product which comes with all included: the presonus firebox. It has got more inputs (but only two with preamps) than the Mbox, and it has got a built-in midi-interface AND comes with software included: Cubase LE.

Hardwarewise it seems to be better than the Mbox, but I personally don't like cubase that much, however competent it might be. Started out using cubase though. Good thing about Cubase is that there are tons of free effect plug-ins and softsynths, unlike Pro Tools.

Mind you, I recommend the presonus firebox only on the basis of its specifications, I havn't used it personally.
Mind you part 2, every hardware and software has got its drwbacks. It takes a while until you find the combo which suits your taste and way of working.

+Quote Post
B3 Basher
posté jeu. 21 juil. 2005, 17:40
Message #10

Inscrit : 28 sept. 04
Lieu : Surrey - UK
Membre no 52,008

I recommend the MACKIE SPIKE. It has the best Pre-Amps going (Better than the M-Box in my opinion) and it also has a free sequencer called Traktion.

Ultimately, LogicPro 7 is the best 'bundle' for the moment as it comes with a HUGE array of plug-ins. All the keyboards you need to get started and all the effects you will ever need (Up to a point).

Get the two together if you can afford it and you can't go wrong. Now all you need is a great microphone.......

--------------------
________________--==:: Watch The Skies ::==--________________
- DVD soundtracking <> Scoring <> Composition <> Production <> ReMixing -

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 2 juin 2024, 20:23
- © MacMusic 1997-2008