MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Express/usb Vs Protools/usb, need some recommendations
JPSpecial
posté jeu. 29 avril 2004, 15:11
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 déc. 03
Lieu : Pittsburgh - US
Membre no 31,548

Hey there!

I can't seem to decide which DAW to purchase.

I'm considering Logic Express with a Tascam USB audio interface. I understand that the Tascam US-428 allows recording of four sources at once. This would be a plus since I wish to record my acoustic guitar with two different mics and my voice with one mic.

The other option I've been considering is the mbox.
Many have said that Protools is easier to learn than Logic and that if midi is not a huge part of the music, Protools might be a better option. However, I have recently read a few posts indicating that the mbox produces both monitoring latency (pretty much unavoidable with a usb interface) and a second type of latency that requires adjustment of tracks once they are recorded. I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the mbox or whether the same problem would occur with Logic Express.

In short, I'm looking for ease of use, minimal problems with latency, and low potential for insanity.

Thanks. I'm always impressed with the passion and knowledge of the users of this site.

P.S. I'm using a 17" imac with 768 ram and OS 10.2.8.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xingu
posté jeu. 29 avril 2004, 19:58
Message #2

Inscrit : 25 juil. 02
Lieu : Strongsville - US
Membre no 6,217

You can get around the monitoring latency with the direct monitoring button (available on many/most USB interfaces, including Tascam's), which routes your signal directly from the input to your phones or monitors. I've only had to do this a few times when tracking at very fast tempos.

I'm not real familiar with the latency/nudging issue with the mbox/ProTools LE, but I've seen mention of it a few times. I can say that I've never experienced anything similar with Logic (I use the Big Box, the predecessor to Express). I've never used ProTools, but working with audio in Logic is pretty straightforward and simple if you ask me.

+Quote Post
jamie_lee
posté jeu. 29 avril 2004, 21:35
Message #3

Inscrit : 09 juil. 03
Lieu : Belfast - UK
Membre no 21,049

OK.

Bottom line? Having struggled along with Logic (which I find horribly complex), Tracktion (annoying interface), and lately GarageBand (MIDI very poor), I have _finally_ bitten the bullet and bought an M-Box this month; I have been after one for ages, but I kept being put off by lots of silly people who reckoned it was too expensive.

Older versions of ProTools suffered from a latency problem, in each track you recorded would be offset from the previous track by a small amount (~164 samples). This has now been fixed in version 6.4 (which is a free download for M-Box owners).

M-Box has zero-latency monitoring. In fact, there's a dial on the front panel that allows you to select the relative volume of direct input and backing track that you are hearing.

It's flat-out the best thing I have bought in years. Period.

Very pleased with it.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
majn
posté ven. 30 avril 2004, 06:35
Message #4

Rookie

Inscrit : 23 févr. 04
Lieu : Oxford - UK
Membre no 36,665

HI

I went through that whole ProTools / Logic debate a while back. This is mainly because - running a studio where I sometimes get external clients in they always ask two questions - do you have ProTools and do you use Neumann Mics.

Usually they ask these questions because someone has said something to them at some point about using ProTools and Neumann Mics.

Anyway - I now have Both Logic and ProTools (MBox).

I only ever use Protools to mix on - because with an MBox you can only record 2 tracks at once (if you want to record Acoustic guitar and voice at the same time in the way you mention - which opens an entirely different debate anyway - then the MBox / ProTools route is not the one for you) - and because some people want to be able to take things away and mix them elsewhere - and ProTools is the one they always seem to want to take away on .. and also the one they always seem to bring material in on to get it mixed when they are not happy with someone elses efforts .. and yeah - I really like ProTools - it's easy to use ...

But I much prefer Logic - because with the right interface you can record as many tracks as you like (I do 24 on a G4 with a digital desk using a Hammerfall card) - you are not limited to using a specific audio interface - so if you decide that 4 is not enough - you can upgrade - and once you start recording you will enter the money pit route of permanently wanting bigger and better.

Logic is a bit more complex - but there are some really good books which can get you up and running fast (I struggled for about a week - then read two pages of a book and have not looked back).

Just make sure whatever USB route you take can give you phantom power.

Hope this helps as much as other postings have helped me in the past on this site.

Martin

--------------------
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 / 2 x 19" Formac Monitors / Hammerfall Digi 9652 / Mackie d8b / 2.5 gig RAM

iMac G5 1.8 17" / M-Audio 1814 Firewire / Tascam TM-D1000 / 2 gig RAM

Lacie Firewire Drives

Logic Pro 7 / NI Battery - Guitar Rig - B4 / GMedia MTron / Crystal / LinPlug RMIV / OSX 10.3.6

+Quote Post
jamie_lee
posté ven. 30 avril 2004, 21:10
Message #5

Inscrit : 09 juil. 03
Lieu : Belfast - UK
Membre no 21,049

I think for most solo musicians, you don't need to record more than 2 tracks at once... and then layer multiple tracks over that later.

Good point about PT restricting your choice of interfaces. If you go semi-pro and start recording 8 tracks at once, you'll need to throw a grand in the direction of a 002 Rack... angry.gif

+Quote Post
td3k
posté ven. 30 avril 2004, 22:04
Message #6

Inscrit : 18 avril 03
Lieu : Tampa - US
Membre no 16,354

QUOTE (jamie_lee @ Apr 30 2004, 16:10)
you'll need to throw a grand in the direction of a 002 Rack...  angry.gif

The Hardware Exchange price from mBox to 002 Rack is $895. They basically credit you almost your purchase price toward an upgrade.

TD

--------------------

+Quote Post
choclo
posté lun. 4 oct. 2004, 01:18
Message #7

Inscrit : 04 oct. 04
Lieu : LaPorte - US
Membre no 52,421

Can anyone give some insight about using an Mbox with Logic Express instead of Pro Tools or with Ableton Live?

I bought my M-box about in early 2003, and currently debating wether to upgrade to th newer version of ProTools LE, try out the Ableton Live or try Logic Express.

I'm leaning towards using Live. Does anyone have any experience running the Mbox with either Live or Logic??

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 25 sept. 2024, 22:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008