MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powerbook Pci?, I really want a PB, but my interface?
goggen3
posté jeu. 2 sept. 2004, 22:44
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 02 sept. 04
Lieu : Borre - NO
Membre no 50,103

People, I ´m in trouble.

I travel a lot, and need a powerbook. Currently, I´m running the oldest kind of G4 power mac.

My audio interface is a Digi 001, which I appreciate a lot!

Do I have to switch to a Firewire/USB device, to be able to switch to Powerbook?

I saw this MAGMA product, a PCI chassic, but it costs like $1000! I can´t afford that!!

Is there any other way to solve this? A cheaper way?

Thanks, people!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
posté ven. 3 sept. 2004, 02:24
Message #2

Inscrit : 15 janv. 04
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 33,284

I recently upgraded from an old G4 tower to a Powerbook, and along with it I upgraded my DIGI001 to a DIGI002 rack. Digidesign has a trade in program in which you can trade in the 001 for the 002 or 002 rack. It cost me $795 to trade up to the 002 rack, to trade to the 002 is $1595.
It's not a cheap solution, but it beats buying a new chassis just to be able to use your old interface. And you gain 2 more preamps and double your resolution from 48k to 96k, as well as making your recording rig much more portable. Not to mention more current software and equipment.
I've been very happy with my upgrade, no problems at all.

+Quote Post
webchannel5.com
posté ven. 3 sept. 2004, 05:20
Message #3

Inscrit : 19 mars 04
Lieu : Den Haag - NL
Membre no 38,898

the powerbook solution sounds reasonable. I have the old G4 350 4 years now and if I'm thinking I need a computer for another 4 years, the dual G5 seems the solution. The price is killing me however and might maintain two independent systems (G4 w/001) and G5 running logic. Trade in value is nothing on the G4 system and finally is stable albeit lacking CPU power for serious reverb/plugin treatment.
Of course the scary transition period where this forum represents the only thing between working, sort of working and maybe if I sacrifice a chicken it will behave, kind of situation, always gives room for pausing before the leap.
What external drives are you using for the powerbook/002 r system? 002r does seem simple but the lure of logic with gorgeous reverbs and fully outfitted for $1k is attractive.
Finally, which A/D two input midi interface is the current favorite at the most decent price point with the least amount of incompatibility? Thanks for any feedback.

+Quote Post
PristineRec
posté ven. 3 sept. 2004, 06:00
Message #4

Inscrit : 15 janv. 04
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 33,284

I'm using a Firewire 800 drive from Other World Computing. $179 for 80GB

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm...tle=&Template=1

It seems like a lot of people are being wary of switching over to using Firewire 800 for recording drives, but I have had absolutely no problems with mine, and it is absolutely silent and amazingly fast. I have used a firewire 400 drive for storage for a few years, and this thing is supposed to be twice the speed. It seems like it is even faster than that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Bienvenue invité
Contribute
PcMusic est VOTRE site! Participez à son évolution...
Version bas débit - jeudi 12 sept. 2024, 03:36
- © PcMusic 1997-2007