MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> i want to spend money, will you help?, .
edea
posté mar. 23 avril 2002, 11:06
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 déc. 01
Lieu : Mammoth lakes
Membre no 2,810

I know this has done before but I haven't seen it too much all in one place, and I want to make sure I dont miss anything. sorry and thanks.

I kind of started to figure out what Im doing and then noticed my mac doesn't seem to have an audio in,.... anywhere! so I have been looking at audio interfaces. Now, there are basically 3 choices for me at this point as I have heard that audio interfaces work *best with certain types of software, mainly stuff made by the same company. Once again those 3 choices are protools, digital performer, and logic. Cubase isn't really a choice seeing as there are known problems with it syncing to my synth (currently own a korg ms2000). I'm not really one to buy something crappy and then buy something better later so I want to get something good. I also don't want to learn different programs, it would be nice to stick with one and know it. So this is what I have been looking at getting:

1. Digital Performer setup (should I include a MOTU 828 and
SoundDiver, anything else???)
2. Logic Setup (I don't know what to use with this ive heard either
a Digi001, or MOTU 828) I have actually been told the
motu828 which seems odd to me but i dunno.
3. ProTools setup (not considering this as much because I dont
really like the interface.)

I am also wondering what I should be using as a sound editor, havent heard of much besides peak???

I've heard and read that Logic & DP are better for MIDI then protools, would this be beneficial for me seeing as I want to do a lot of stuff from Hardware synths??

I also might want to play in reason some, it looks good for getting small things done or mapping things out, or for doing things all around if needed.

Any little goodies or things that would be nice with any of those setups or better setups would be great. I dont have too much too spend but I think you can see where my price range lies. I want to do this right, and am planning on jumping into a very large hobby so please give me the best info you have.

I also want to be able to play live when I get the skills to so that needs to be thought about.

Expandibility and support/info are also of concern.

I think that's about it for now.
Neil
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
macmax
posté jeu. 25 avril 2002, 14:06
Message #2

Rookie

Inscrit : 13 déc. 01
Lieu : OXFORD
Membre no 2,664

Its always a personal choice, but for my money the 828, or even the delicious 896 are the way to go for your audio.
Dp3 or Logic, thats a toughie.
I like Logic a great deal, and i do use it in the studio a lot, but.....
I'm reliably informed that DP3 is superior in a live situation, As Is ABLETON live.
I still maintain that Logic is the most complete All-rounder in terms of abilities out of the box, and i dont think its as scary to learn as people make out.
(Hell , the first time i had to use it, i had no manual available and a band staring over my shoulder , i made it work, and the session was a comfortable success, The obvious bits are obvious, and the system set up bits are where they should be , in the background!)
I dont have a lot of experience with DP3 but what i have is all positive.
Theres no strangeness about using a MOTU interface with logic, its staright forward, just like using anyone elses interface, and simpler than some.
The only caveat i would add is that i have consistently found The relative MIDI interfaces to work best with Each APP So if you are going to mainly use logic, get Emagic midi interfaces, Likewise if you go for DP3 get MOTU midi interfaces.
They WIll work on each others systems, but i have found them to be better timed and more stable/solid/smooth in their own environments.
best regards
max

--------------------
max woz ere

+Quote Post
nathanan
posté jeu. 25 avril 2002, 17:29
Message #3

Inscrit : 19 sept. 01
Lieu : Bangkok
Membre no 1,807

Logic version 5 is just out so DP has to catch up. but choosing which one to go for really depends on the way you work. all the sequencers you mentioned are top of the range so may be just pick one that feels right, learn it, stick with it and don't forget to make music. good luck.

+Quote Post
coloradocrim
posté jeu. 25 avril 2002, 19:35
Message #4

Inscrit : 17 avril 02
Lieu : Colorado Springs
Membre no 4,307

I am also wondering what I should be using as a sound editor,  havent heard of much besides peak???

Do you _need_ an extra sound editor? You can do quite a bit in DP and for a hobby, I wouldn't spend the money on anything else. There are a few things like encoding Real Audio, etc that you may want something like Peak for, but it's not a necessity since there are other options even for that.

I've heard and read that Logic & DP are better for MIDI then protools, would this be beneficial for me seeing as I want to do a lot of stuff from Hardware synths??

Had a friend who has DP and was playing around with PT midi and says there's no comparison. ProTools was made for audio--the midi is add-on. DP was made for midi and the audio is add-on.

I also might want to play in reason some, it looks good for getting small things done or mapping things out,  or for doing things all around if needed.

Reason is cool and it interfaces *okay* with DP. When it comes to making dance style music, it's super-easy. Very user friendly, too.

To respond to your support Q: I haven't needed Propellerhead's support yet, so I don't know how that is, but MOTU's tech support was excellent when I needed them. You call and they answer. No call backs. No voice-jail. They pick up the phone and you tell them your problem. Way cool (once you get done hitting redial a few times).

--------------------
Crim

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 7 mai 2024, 10:06
- © MacMusic 1997-2008