MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Users..., Are you using Express or Prol?
Lord Pasty
posté mer. 21 juil. 2004, 21:56
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 mai 04
Lieu : Dallas - US
Membre no 44,075

It looks like a lot of people out there are switching to Logic.

My question is this: Which version of Logic are you guys using?

While I intend to "buy up" to Pro shortly after purchasing Express, I was wondering how good the midi is with Express. I need midi. Lots of midi.

Anyhoo. Would love to just go out and buy Logic Pro, but I think the GF will kill me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rfaber
posté jeu. 22 juil. 2004, 09:23
Message #2

Inscrit : 20 juil. 04
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 47,280

you will want the pro right away the express is very restricted more like a budget version
go and buy it on ebay i dit that i payed £410 instead of £700
then you register it in your name and they are ok about that
i did the same with my old cubase and sold it on there for £250
the power of logic on mac is crazy
on cubasesx 2.0 i could only open 7 synth 12 effects on my g4 dual 1.25
now i can open something like 28 synths and 25 effects
smile.gif

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté ven. 23 juil. 2004, 17:17
Message #3

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

I'm using Express most of my sessions are 24-32 tracks, but I will be upgrading to the Pro version soon. cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
Lord Pasty
posté ven. 23 juil. 2004, 20:15
Message #4

Rookie

Inscrit : 28 mai 04
Lieu : Dallas - US
Membre no 44,075

I'm hoping Logic will be more of a beast on my CPU than PT or Cubase. I just bought the full version. It's so intimidating. Can't wait!

+Quote Post
arvidtp
posté ven. 23 juil. 2004, 22:36
Message #5

Inscrit : 21 févr. 03
Lieu : Providence - US
Membre no 12,850

I'm with you Pasty- just bought Logic Pro last week (1/2 price student discount) - kick @$$!

I just did a semi-live, mostly composed performance with it last night, with live MIDI control over several key parameters, on the fly looping to time the music to the "plop painting" performance that the sound was for, a number of heavy soft synths (some of them frozen smile.gif ), and lots of pre-composed audio tracks with lots of effects, including the CPU hogging Pluggo "Cosmo" from Gleetchplug (that on its own would bring Pro Tools to its knees) - in realtime on my powerbook through my Mbox. No problems - the whole time not one hiccup. cool.gif This is something I would NEvER have even TRIED to do with Pro Tools LE, for many reasons including stability, CPU efficiency and live/realtime flexibilty (like looping the transport on the fly and assigning MIDI controllers to track levels/pans/mutes). And this is after playing around with lOgic for less than a week!

I still don't have audio editing completely down yet, as it is very different from Pro Tools - a little more effort it seems so far, but not all bad. And MIDI is crazy. I want to do something and I just do it - no more squinting at piano rolls on left side of the screen and counting half steps up and down and waiting for PT to update to display behind my mouse etc etc - it is like - press 6 to switch to notation view - change note - back to arrange - "did I just edit that? it was so painless!" And automation edit/viewing is fabulous in the arrange window. The environment could be more "logical" - more like MaxMSP, and rewire seems a bit cumbersome. But I cant complain, as I haven't completely learned those parts of logic yet.

And i can connect it to MaxMSP with Jack!!!!!!

finally I am no longer complaining about pro tools LE screwing up on OS X and being stupid, and I am just making music again, like when I had PT free on OS 9, but MUCH BETTER!

rock on logic!

[By the way, a plop painting is a painting done by my friend Mark Milloff, made of solid, heaping oil paint that slides off when it is put on a wall, goes down the wall and plops on the ground, making a crazy paint-mess. They have actually got him quite a bit of acclaim, though they began years ago as an accident.]

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
td3k
posté sam. 24 juil. 2004, 04:19
Message #6

Inscrit : 18 avril 03
Lieu : Tampa - US
Membre no 16,354

I just bought Logic Express 2 wks ago, to use with my mBox.
Academic pricing rules smile.gif

Seems to run well on my 900Mhz iBook and G4 450 AGP. and is very stable, (unlike my past experiences with Cubase ). I mostly am using it to run Instruments and slave to ProTools on another computer.

...After I sorted out the "Environment" for ReWire ect. Also, not being able to send MIDI to Audio Instruments on different chanels (Multitimbrally) unless the sequencer is in play or rec. (that is just silly) But, the sequencer is very nice. After PTLE, it's nice to have a good sequencer around. I do think the bar ruler is weak compared to PT and Express has no markers or anything like that. I haven't used it for recording audio yet. ( PT is my primary audio prog. )

I prob would have bought the Pro version, but having never used it before, and considering they have no type of demo at ALL. I had to see what the hype was all about. ...Apparently, Logic users are the elite of our society.

TD

Ce message a été modifié par td3k - sam. 24 juil. 2004, 04:44.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dasa Soul
posté lun. 26 juil. 2004, 20:54
Message #7

Inscrit : 13 mars 04
Lieu : Hawaii North Shore Oahu - US
Membre no 38,418

Arvid very cool music !!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
arvidtp
posté mar. 27 juil. 2004, 00:10
Message #8

Inscrit : 21 févr. 03
Lieu : Providence - US
Membre no 12,850

Well thank you!

if you are referring to the stuff on my site, that is unfortunately a number of months old - I've got some new weird stuff in the works! Thanks.

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
MAKICIGAN
posté mar. 27 juil. 2004, 23:19
Message #9

Inscrit : 08 avril 04
Lieu : SKOPJE - MK
Membre no 40,470

how mach is motu aodio card 2408

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Bienvenue invité
Contribute
PcMusic est VOTRE site! Participez à son évolution...
Version bas débit - lundi 19 août 2024, 08:02
- © PcMusic 1997-2007