MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Portable Mastering Studio, What should go into it?
Acoustica
posté mar. 1 juin 2004, 07:19
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 01 juin 04
Lieu : Bellingham - US
Membre no 44,262

As the title and description read, I'm wanting to put together a portable mastering studio. I'll be doing the mastering in a dorm room at my college and want a semi-pro mobile solution so that I can master away from the room while on trips and the like. Here's what I currently have at my disposal:
  • PowerBook 1.5GHz (15.2" TFT)
  • Echo Indigo IO Sound Card
  • Sennheiser HD 280 Silver Headphones
Now I have approximately US$1500 to put towards software, external HDD and whatever else I might need (your suggestions). The good thing is that I qualify for academic pricing so I'm hoping to get some professional software/hardware and have some money leftover for plug-ins or future upgrades. I would love to have some suggestions in the following areas:
  • Mastering software - Peak, Logic, ProTools, what do you find the best for mastering and good for a mobile solution?
  • External HDD - I've heard so many people say that an external HDD for mobile audio editing is essential that this is my second priority (past software), so this will be an important buy. A good size? Transfer method? (FW800 vs. USB 2.0)
  • Capturing hardware - Do I trust that all my clients will bring me either a music file or CD to master or should I be prepared to accept ADATs as well? If so, what equipment should I get that is easily transportable?
  • iPod - The perfect previewing tool there is, worth the US$250 and the wait to get myself a Mini?
  • Anything else I'm missing? I'm sure there is something. smile.gif
Thanks for any advice and as my first post, I look forward to becoming an active member in the community!

--------------------
PowerBook 1.5GHz (15.2" TFT)
1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2 SO-DIMM
80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahaworld
posté ven. 4 juin 2004, 04:31
Message #2

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 avril 04
Lieu : Knoxville - US
Membre no 41,728

I've got a LaCie 200GB external firewire hard drive that absolutely rocks! I can't say enough wonderful things about LaCie. I think the general consensus is that firewire is preferable to usb when it comes to hard drives and audio.

As for the iPod, why spend all that money for a smaller hard drive just because the color is cool? I've gotta hand it to Apple, though. They are marketing geniuses.

Welcome to the community, by the way! I'm sorry, but I don't know much about mastering. I'll leave that to others more qualified than I.

hahaworld
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mercredi 3 juil. 2024, 11:02
- © MacMusic 1997-2008