MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Processor Upgrade...
LUDICRUS
posté mer. 11 févr. 2004, 17:41
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 déc. 03
Membre no 31,348

Is it safe to upgrade my g4/800...so i get twice...or maybe even three times the power I have now ?
Anyone got experience with upgrading the processor ?
Witch brand is the best...and most important....will all programs work flawlessly ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 11 févr. 2004, 19:21
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

You should be reasonable, remember most macs out there (G5 are different) are already running their CPU at 2-3-4 times (figures) the bus speed. So don't expect an upgrade running at in fact 10 times the bus speed to be as fast as the numbers say so. Now it can be an improvement.

In the FR forums the gigadesign upgrades are looked upon as the most music compatible (work on logic/cubase/DP/PT configs).

Look closely at the speed/performance/price and compare to new hardware. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not. unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
lightwaveband
posté mar. 24 févr. 2004, 23:06
Message #3

Inscrit : 24 févr. 04
Lieu : Chicago - US
Membre no 36,773

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Feb 11 2004, 18:21)
You should be reasonable, remember most macs out there (G5 are different) are already running their CPU at 2-3-4 times (figures) the bus speed. So don't expect an upgrade running at in fact 10 times the bus speed to be as fast as the numbers say so. Now it can be an improvement.

In the FR forums the gigadesign upgrades are looked upon as the most music compatible (work on logic/cubase/DP/PT configs).

Look closely at the speed/performance/price and compare to new hardware. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not. unsure.gif

TECH-NO-PAHHHHH
O-AH-O

+Quote Post
Synthetik
posté jeu. 26 févr. 2004, 23:35
Message #4

Inscrit : 10 juil. 02
Lieu : Minneapolis - US
Membre no 5,668

there are some cards out the that work rather well, but bus speed is the main thing, Thats way a 800mhz mac will bet a 1.5 Ghz PC simply the bus speed. also look at the computer and the cost of the upgrade. I think you can get a 1.25Ghz upgrade for $750 us, you mac would sell second hand for $1000 US aprox. so thats around $1750, about the price of a 2 Ghz G5, And the resale value of the card will not be the same you will end up losing a bunch of money when you finally sell you mac with the card.

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post
fred0c
posté ven. 27 févr. 2004, 07:15
Message #5

Inscrit : 29 juin 03
Lieu : New York - US
Membre no 20,393

I just upgraded to a Gigadesign Dual 1.25ghz (running at 1.33) on a Quicksilver 2002 g4/800mhz. I run Logic 6.3.3 and loads of plugs. I see a difference. I didn't have any L2 cache with my orignal processor and added more RAM for a total of 1280, I realy liking it. I got it from OWC, macsales.com. I got the upgrade cuz I got the Quicksilver for free, my xbench score went from 69 to 159.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 27 févr. 2004, 14:24
Message #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

QUOTE (lightwaveband @ Feb 24 2004, 23:06)
TECH-NO-PAHHHHH
O-AH-O

Mhmm can you elaborate? Uh? blink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 19:30
- © MacMusic 1997-2008