MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mbox, M-audio, What!?, Need help deciding
Mangrilla
posté jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 22:09
Message #11

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 janv. 04
Lieu : New York - US
Membre no 34,328

does the tascam come with any recording software?
Also, would I need preams since it appreas to not have any?

The reason that I had originally looked into the Mbox was because a friend recommended it, and when I went to Guitar Center and asked the recording people what a good option was, they suggested the firewire 410. And obviously I knew not to trust him on the spot so I looked around for further answers.

I'm worried about that 828 because there isn't much information about it on the motu website, and because I found it for a good price on Ebay, but after buying some other hardware on there, I'd really rather be able to buy something that I could at least get a little bit more information or even hands on experience with.

Ce message a été modifié par Mangrilla - jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 22:33.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 02:12
Message #12

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Lurk here in threads about the MOTU 828 you'll find things aplenty. wink.gif

if you search use "motu 828" it'll work, not "828" alone.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 07:58
Message #13

Inscrit : 05 déc. 03
Lieu : Memphis - US
Membre no 30,424

The Tascam has Two Mic/Line XLR, Two Guitar/Line quaters, Two Inserts for external effcects, headphone, and rca out. in the project studio i use it, and mostly to go to record dj sets, vocalists, dubs of guitar or bass. then i come home and dump the files into the mastering studio.

it has limitations like level meter are only one green signal light and one red for overload, but if you watch your apps levels (i use logic and peak audio) you will get a good recording. it has a little latency if you use your laptops hard drive, but if using a firewire 7200rpm drive you will not notice much. unless your use to recording in a multitrack studio with super pro hardware.

it is cheap 200 dollars (US) and is bus powered so that is a plus.
I use my 12" powerbook with this unit so I did not want to hassel with the driver problems of m-audio 410 with an ext. hdd.

hope this helps.

cheers and happy recording,
jeremy

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 12:01
Message #14

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

The MOTU 828 is a superb piece of equipment. I have the original version (bought secondhand) and it's never given me any trouble. When you say you can't find much information about it on the MOTU website, where are you looking? There's masses of information about it! smile.gif

MOTU home page, 828 MKii link in the left-hand column, first full page of data, click Next for more data, then keep following the links if you want even more info. Is there something in particular you need to know?

It comes with AudioDesk software. I've never used it.

+Quote Post
Ben Up the Tree
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 16:53
Message #15

Inscrit : 20 janv. 04
Membre no 33,670

I also use the Tascam US-122 and like it allot. It's much cheaper than the MBox ($185 on ebay New shipped), has MIDI, but has marginal software that comes with it (Cubase for OS9). I use the US-122 with GarageBand ($49) to record vocals/guitar/stereo drums. I have been quite happy with it so far.

The US-122 also sport phantom power, but I have not recorded with a condenser microphone yet.

The latency is almost imperceptible, I use it on a 1ghz G4 Powerbook with an external 7200rpm harddrive.

Tascam US-122 features:

USB power
Two analog inputs and outputs (stereo)
24-bit (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz) input to output path
Separate source selection (MIC/LINE/INST) and gain control per channel
48V phantom power
Hi-Z input for (D.I.) instrument pickup
TRS inserts on each input channel
Balanced/unbalanced connections
Zero-latency direct monitoring
Unbalanced RCA and Headphone outputs with dedicated volume controls
MIDI input and output ports
16-channel MIDI interface

+Quote Post
nate d
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 17:00
Message #16

Rookie

Inscrit : 24 sept. 03
Lieu : Killingworth, CT - US
Membre no 25,334

does the tascam come with any recording software?

I believe the Tascam us-122 comes with GigaStudio 24 and a stripped down version of Cubasis.

--------------------
Powerbook 15" 1Ghz 768MB :: MOTU 828 ::
Logic Platinum 6 :: Propellerhead Reason 2.5 ::
Ableton Live 3.0.1 :: Peak 4 :: Midiman Oxygen8 ::
M-Audio BX-5 Monitors :: Firewire drive

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 18:24
Message #17

Membre no 34,328

Rickenbacker, I saw the info about the mkII but I figure the original had some variations and was just trying to see what exactly they were. Such as, from what I've seen, it doesn't have that LCD screen on the front so I imagine it doesn't include whatever feature that allowed (mixing, if I remember).

I like the sounds of this Tascam 122, but I actually found a 428 on amazon with another microphone for pretty cheap, so I'm going to try that and then if I fail to do that, check out the 122.

For those with the 122, do you know if you can upgrade the OS9 software to OS 10? I freakin' hate classic.

+Quote Post
xingu
posté ven. 30 janv. 2004, 21:37
Message #18

Inscrit : 25 juil. 02
Lieu : Strongsville - US
Membre no 6,217

No, the Tascam version of Cubasis VST is OS9 only - there is no OSX version. BUT, owning it does give you an upgrade path to OSX compatible Cubase software - SX, SL, etc. I believe for a 50% discount off retail. Contact Steinberg for more details. (They require proof of purchase and all that jazz.)

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté lun. 2 févr. 2004, 12:40
Message #19

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Hey, Mangrilla,

Well, I bought my 828 about three months before they announced the MKii... (sigh) huh.gif

But it's still cool. The new version has more simultaneous ins and outs, I think, plus Midi and a snazzy LCD display, but as my 828 is under my desk I hardly miss that. My MT4 takes care of Midi and I only ever record 2 tracks max simultaneously, so for the secondhand price I paid, I'm more than happy. About the same as an M-Audio 410 and none of the headaches. biggrin.gif

The US-428 is a nice bit of kit. USB, though, so you've got latency issues and a much smaller data pipe to cram your audio down. The control surface features are cool, though, and well supported in Logic.

As for the software bundled with the 428, forget it. Within a week, you'll want to move on. Also, you can't run it in Classic anyway, so unless your Mac can boot into OS 9 proper, you won't even be able to use it. So get an 828 or the 428 or the 122, whatever you decide, but you'll also need some decent software.

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté jeu. 5 févr. 2004, 02:20
Message #20

Membre no 34,328

Well, I ended up with the 428.
Now, what, if anything, can be done about the latency issues of USB? While recording one track at a time will I be able to get reasonably good quality?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (2 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Bienvenue invité
Contribute
PcMusic est VOTRE site! Participez à son évolution...
Version bas débit - lundi 1 juil. 2024, 08:39
- © PcMusic 1997-2007