MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mbox, M-audio, What!?, Need help deciding
Mangrilla
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 19:10
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 28 janv. 04
Lieu : New York - US
Membre no 34,328

I'm new to the forum, and to recording in general. I really want to get something that I can plug into my flatscreen iMac G4 that will allow me to record vox, guitar/bass, and possibly even drums directly into my computer. I also would like this to come with tools to record/master what I do. I went to Guitar center and asked them, and they suggested the M-audio firewire 410, and a friend of mine suggested to me the Digidesign Mbox. Do you all have any suggestions maybe? I have been looking at these two systems and am worried that the M-audio doesn't come with very a very complete editing/mixing/etc. software, but really like the amount of inputs and the fact that it already has a midi solution. Any thoughts, or other suggestions, PLEASE?!!?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 20:41
Message #2

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 25 juin 01
Lieu : Springfield - US
Membre no 1,082

well... I would say go with Mbox but what system are you running? I have heard there are some issues with the mbox and 10.3 but the Mbox would be able to do all you are asking except that if you record drums.... you might need a mixer if using more than 2 mics to create a stereo submix to send to mbox. Also, you didn't say if you planned on recording this stuff all simultaneously or seperate... you will need a mixer to create a submix of everything if you want to record a band performance for example.

M-audio might come with a cheap recording app but most likely it may not suffice your needs and you might want to spend $$ on Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etv to use with it. cool.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 21:59
Message #3

Membre no 34,328

I would most likely do everything one track at a time, but have a mixer and am prepared to use that if I have to.

Also, I'm running 10.2, know of any problems it might have with that?

Okay, so M-box it's looking like so far. Thank you so much for your opinion. I guess I'll just have to get me a midi-in in addition too.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 22:47
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Upon the Mbox in Jaguar and Panther look at my pinned post in the Audio/MIDI interface forum.

WORTH reading wink.gif sad.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 23:10
Message #5

Membre no 34,328

Hrm, I checked that out, that's not too bad. Can you suggest anything else aht might work well, or are htose two pretty mch the best for their price range and package?

Also, does the difference between USB and Firewire affect that sound quality at all?

I'm so confused on what to pick. It's just so hard with things like this where you really don't get to try them out very well, and when it costs so much. Thank you all for your continued help!

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté mer. 28 janv. 2004, 23:12
Message #6

Membre no 34,328

What about the motu 828? I found it on ebay for about 500 dollars, and am wondering if this could be what I want? Any ideas, or possibly info on the software that comes with it? Is Mbox worth it for the ProTools alone?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 00:11
Message #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

You're more likely to have troubles in USB than in Firewire. Now the Mbox does not suffer from this (the problem is in the supporting drivers see my alledged post on this). Sound quality depends of the converter mostly. But in USB you can encounter on a busy setup or with bad drivers clicks and Plops not that enjoyable.
I'm personnally very wary upon M-audio and Edirol products mostly because of the drivers (check the forums, there's already stuff there, I've had bad experiences myself but in the forums you'll have the last news, I'm following rather for afar, i'm on MOTU wink.gif

Now the 828 IS cool smile.gif

The software coming with is audiodesk, which is most of the Audio part of Digital Performer. DP is better (mostly you have the MIDI side), but Audiodesk is a quality tool. You can upgrade to a full DP from it too.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 00:14
Message #8

Membre no 34,328

So you'd recommend the 828?

Thanks for so much help, this site rocks. I never found it until today, and now I'm going to be addicted! so much good help. You rock lepetitmartien!

+Quote Post
Mangrilla
posté jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 03:11
Message #9

Membre no 34,328

Agh, I didn't realize that the 828 I saw on ebay wasn't the mkII. Should this effect my decision? ARGH! So complicated! So expensive! Such a hard decision!

+Quote Post
editbrain
posté jeu. 29 janv. 2004, 06:46
Message #10

Inscrit : 05 déc. 03
Lieu : Memphis - US
Membre no 30,424

The 828 (first revision) or the 828mkll are both very professional choices. i would recomend them if you have the currency. on the other hand if you were looking into an mbox i would recomend what i use for two track project or mobile recording.
i use the tascam us-122 with the lastest drivers from tascam and 10.3 on my 12" powerbook. i am very happy with the quality and with reliability.

someone on this site made a very good point. you should checkout the hardware and software that people do not ask about on forums. because most of the people asking about the m-audio 410 and mobile pre are having trouble with those units and os x.

stick with the oldies. tascam and motu. the have beed around for awhile and seem to have a good sense of what is going on.

imho

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Bienvenue invité
Contribute
PcMusic est VOTRE site! Participez à son évolution...
Version bas débit - lundi 1 juil. 2024, 08:18
- © PcMusic 1997-2007