MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Analog Preamp, tla audio only decent option on budget?
flemming
posté lun. 1 août 2005, 21:23
Message #11

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 31 juil. 05
Lieu : Aarhus - DK
Membre no 68,317

There's nothing wrong with solid state gear when price is an issue, but when you establish yourself and money is more available, don't avoid tubes.

I never said anything about avoiding tubes at all. In fact, I said I've got tube gear myself – tla desk, neumann v72 modules, altec and fairchild preamps, all of which would fall into the money is more available-category, I take it? My favourite mic is a tube mic (AKG C12a). I'm not anti-tubes at all. What I DID say was don't believe the hype that a tube in the circuit automatically adds warmth or makes for a better sound. It's bollocks, as more or less all pro engineers will tell you. Tubes tend to roll off the highs and lows, freq wise, and there's a certain 'compression'-like character in the dynamic realm as well. This doesn't really qualify as warmth-inducers. If you want that sort of sound, go for it, but it is not a warm sound in itself.

Let me paraphraze you and say: There's nothing wrong with neither tube nor solid state gear, when money ISN'T an issue. But if you're craving for a warm 'analog' sound, chances are you're actually thinking of a Neve or early (SL4000e and earlier) SSL sound. Pricey stuff in itself, but not tubey. And when money IS an issue (as is the case here), it's worth remembering that tube based designs basically are more expensive to make, so if you're on a budget, you'll get less bang for your buck by going the tube route. I personally think it's kinda sad to see people spending their hard earned cash on less good sounding gear, just because they think it'll sound better (warmer) because there's a tube in it. That's all I'm saying. :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OneDerBoy
posté lun. 1 août 2005, 21:32
Message #12

Inscrit : 28 juin 05
Lieu : Calgary - CA
Membre no 67,256

All right then. You mean to people away from silly products like that 'trans-tube' amp that came out awhile back, right? I can see where you're coming from there. That thing was atrociously over priced for having ONE tube stuck in a beginner trans amp.

I guess I'm clear on what you mean now. No bad blood I hope.

Those interested should still read those articles linked. They're very interesting.

Cheers

Ce message a été modifié par OneDerBoy - lun. 1 août 2005, 21:33.

+Quote Post
flemming
posté mar. 2 août 2005, 00:58
Message #13

Inscrit : 31 juil. 05
Lieu : Aarhus - DK
Membre no 68,317

You mean to people away from silly products like that 'trans-tube' amp that came out awhile back, right?

Well, basically just any piece of shit gear that claims to be great and warm and lovely just because they put a cheap tube in it. I don't know how many times I've had newbies come to me and proclaim that they've found the most fantastic new piece of gear for no money at all and then add, knowingly, "AND it's tube-based!". As if it matters! It's STILL shit! :-D

+Quote Post
pixelboy
posté mer. 10 août 2005, 15:02
Message #14

Inscrit : 24 nov. 04
Lieu : LONDON - UK
Membre no 55,557

Hy guys sorry I havent replyed sooner but have been away touring for quite a while.
The issue regarding tubes and non tubes is one of those I believe will never die.
I will actually be using a rode nti1 and a shure and my gibson les paul and soft synths which maybe will pass trhough the preamp if i find it improves the sound.
One thing I am certain is that analog is different than digital, specially in what I do (electro/techno...) I tend to like to be able to overdrive everything and although psp vintage warmer and amplitube and the likes and fantastic sometimes I love the simple analog gain button as well as sound.
One of the main things I´m thinking on getting a tla is because it has a digital out and so that way I can bypass the crappy a/d converters on my emi 6|2 wich I find no reason to replace since I´m preetry much a mobile musician.
The avalon option seems fabulous from what I´ve heard but its too overpriced for me and so far my work does no justify it.
So in summing I am locking for a good input for my computer from my external sources and pure sound is not exactly what i´m locking for but I has to have some kind of qualçity of course.
I feel that each time more is not necessarily what you use that defines your sound but how u use it, and I´vé managed to get some decent recording with the onboard preamps on my mackie mixer wich I am going to sell soon.
ButI am defently wayting forward for the next paycheck to be spent partially on a tla.
Thank you all very much for your precious advises.

+Quote Post
makaala
posté dim. 10 sept. 2006, 15:32
Message #15

Rookie

Inscrit : 17 août 05
Lieu : Den Haag - NL
Membre no 68,847

Can any one comment on the Studio Projects VTB-1? Seems it is the best unit for under $500 and it is currently priced about $150. Need it for a female voice using a Rode NT1. Also, for post, I am thinking of the liquid mix, so the cleanest recorded signal I can get from her (we operate in different countries), the better so I can tweak it with the compressors and eq in the liquid mix.
thanks

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 22:32
- © 440 Forums 2011