MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compressor
neesley
posté lun. 21 nov. 2005, 10:29
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 22 avril 04
Lieu : New York - US
Membre no 41,623

I never seem to get the level I would like out of my mixing. Can anybody suggest a good compressor/limiter that can help slam my tracks?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mar. 22 nov. 2005, 13:36
Message #2

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Hardware or software? If software, what host sequencer? PSP Audioware do some nice plugs. Logic's Multipressor is alright, too. Personally, I find the Universal Audio UAD-1 plugs hard to beat (LA-2A, 1176, Fairchild, Precision Limiter, forthcoming Multiband Limiter, yum!). Other folk like the TC PowerCore plugs. There are hundreds of compressors out there, but these are the ones that spring to mind for me.

+Quote Post
neesley
posté mar. 22 nov. 2005, 18:13
Message #3

Membre no 41,623

I'm using ProTools 6.9.2 with a DIGI002R. The compressors I've been using are the C4 on vocal (and other) tracks and the L2 on my stereo bounces before I dither down.

I've heard about the old LA-2A hardware-wise, but I don't know much about it.

It just feels that no matter what I'm mixing, I can't get enough level. It could be an inherent mix problem, but I wouldn't know...

+Quote Post
loudstring
posté mar. 22 nov. 2005, 18:19
Message #4

Inscrit : 08 juin 04
Lieu : Rome - IT
Membre no 44,719

Try using waves L2/L3 ultamaximizer it can be very heavy but also kinda transparent. It really depens on the style you are looking for.

+Quote Post
beyaRecords
posté mer. 23 nov. 2005, 08:51
Message #5

Inscrit : 07 juil. 03
Lieu : Nottingham - UK
Membre no 20,901

USR (www.usrplugins.com) are due to release the AU/VST versions of their 1970/1980 compressors. Based on the exceptional quality of thier EQs I would suggest that you wait the few more weeks before they are released and buy those.

Others formats (RTAS, TDM) are already available and can be Demo'd before purchase is made.

Beya

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mer. 23 nov. 2005, 11:08
Message #6

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

Compressors are tricky things to get right - too little and nothing happens, too much and you squash the life out of a track. The Universal Audio stuff really is terrific - they made the original hardware, so the software is as accurate as anyone is ever going to make it. Bomb Factory did some Pro Tools plug-ins along the same lines (I think they did an 1176, for instance), so you might like to check them out. I didn't know much about the history of the LA-2A and the 1176 before I got my UAD-1 card, but since then I seem to read about them all the time. They're still used in virtually every major studio. Now they're reissuing hardware versions and selling like hot cakes.

I digress. I suggest reading absoutely everything you can about using compressors. It worked for me and I kind of understand them now and how best to use them. The articles on the Sound On Sound web site are a good place to start.

+Quote Post
gkdoty
posté mer. 23 nov. 2005, 21:36
Message #7

Inscrit : 18 déc. 02
Lieu : Lithia Springs - US
Membre no 10,159

Have you tried the
Free Digidesign Dynamics III DigiRack Plug-in Suite :
Dynamics III Features at a Glance

* Three dynamics processing plug-ins: Compressor/Limiter, Expander/Gate, and De-Esser
* Multi-channel support*
* Optimized for maximum CPU and DSP efficiency
* Tight integration with control surfaces and VENUE live sound environment
* Support for Avid software
* High-resolution processing, up to 192 kHz
* External key and side-chain frequency filter capabilities
* De-zippered, automatable controls for smooth parameter changes
* RTAS, TDM, and AudioSuite formats
* Windows XP and Mac OS X support
http://digidesign.com/downloads

--------------------
1.25mhz MacMini--OS X 10.4.3-Metro 6.3.3--M-Audio keystation 49e--Oxygen 8 Controller--M-audio Firewire Solo--Fernandez Strat--Fender Jazz Bass--Fender Precision bass--Epiphone Acoustic--Roland MA-12 Micro Powered Monitors

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
posté mer. 23 nov. 2005, 22:50
Message #8

Inscrit : 30 juil. 03
Lieu : Malmö - SE
Membre no 22,159

The 1176 is a free download at digidesign http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm...fm?story_id=806, except they call it BF76.

It is kind of cool, but with a special character that isn´t fit for everything.

A compressor worth checking out is PSP Vintage Warmer. It features a pretty dense coloration of the sound, which I guess is the point of it, but it is very musical in what it does to the compressed material. I like it a lot. It also has very nice bass and treble controls, sort of like a vintage console channel strip.

+Quote Post
neesley
posté mer. 23 nov. 2005, 22:53
Message #9

Membre no 41,623

Everything I've read so far has been great! Thanks guys.

However, I've tried almost all the suggestions. Especially on the software end of things. I still haven't gotten what I want out of my mixes. The software compressors don't seem to go far enough to get enough level and punch.

Maybe the manner in which I'm using them is incorrect. I usually set a pretty quick attack and compress things like horns at something around 10:1. Same with many of the drums. Fast attacks is what I thought would retain the punch while leaving room for other sounds in the mix.

Any other thoughts?

Also, on my bounced down mixes before I dither down, I already use the L3... What are some good settings for that?

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
posté jeu. 24 nov. 2005, 10:14
Message #10

Inscrit : 30 juil. 03
Lieu : Malmö - SE
Membre no 22,159

Hmm, if you use that kind of ratio you should get good levels; I mean, there probably wouldn't be many peaks there... wink.gif Lower the threshhold to squash more of the material, maybe, if that 10:1 ratio doesn't give you the desired level.

Maybe you should experiment some with the attack. Too fast attack will take the edge out of percussive sounds, since the *bam* in any drum will not stand out so much from the tone of the drum anymore, nor will it stand out in the mix.

I must say that hardware compressors seem quite a bit sharper. Having been mixing exclusive in a plug-in environment for a couple of years, i went to a friend of mine who had some 90s DBX compressor, and I couldn't believe my ears! It was so mean to my vocals, nowhere near what any plug-in could do.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 09:44
- © 440 Forums 2011