MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making The Switch. Need Suggestions.
the720k
posté lun. 31 janv. 2005, 01:30
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 31 janv. 05
Lieu : Warren - US
Membre no 59,515

Well, after my PC died today, I've had it with the PC architecture and have decided to buy a Mac Mini. This has been a long time coming. It's on order now and can't wait till I get it.
To give you a little insight on my situation, here's my PC's setup:

Hardware:
Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM running Windows XP Pro
120GB hard drive
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 Audio Card
M-Audio Oxygen 8 Controller Keyboard
M-Audio Evolution UC-33e Control Unit
M-Audio MidiSport 2x4 USB

Software:
Propellerhead Reason 2.5
Propellerhead Recycle 2.1
Sony Sound Forge 7.0

I use other pieces of software, but these are the bread and butter of the operation. I have already downloaded all my drivers to run the controllers, as well as my Mac copies of Recycle and Reason. I just worry about finding a wave editor that's as good as Sound Forge for the Mac. Is there anything that won't destroy my wallet?

Another concern of mine is the pesky latency issue. I probably should have ordered a PowerMac for its PCI slots, but it's too late, I guess. I have always heard that Macs have been great as far as MIDI latency goes, but it still worries me. I may even decide to plug my Creative Labs Extigy into the Mac Mini so that I can have audio input capability, but that will probably affect my latency, as well, wouldn't it?

At any rate, hope someone can shed some light on this soon-to-be convert!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oaomdal
posté mer. 25 avril 2007, 22:30
Message #2

Inscrit : 25 avril 07
Membre no 90,631

I am also planning to buy a mac for my music, and I am looking for a setup that will fit my use.
I have two M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI cards, because I need at least 8 analogue outputs. But before ordering a new PowerMac, someone questioned if they could be used on a mac, and I found out that the new PowerMac has PCI-Express, not PCI slots. PCI-Express uses serial data transfer, not paralell, and therefore they are different, and not compatible angry.gif

QUOTE (the720k @ Mon 31 Jan 2005, 02:30) *
Hardware:
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 Audio Card
I probably should have ordered a PowerMac for its PCI slots, but it's too late, I guess.

So If you still want a PowerMac, order an old used one, and remember to check www.m-audio.com to see if the soundcards are compatible with the desired mac. (Some cards does not work on mac without modifications, and some does not work on spesiffic mac's)

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 27 avril 2007, 03:51
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

the720k, remember you'll need RAM and preferably an external firewire HD for audio.

In regards of the wave editor issue, there's a few, but you can use audacity, it's free, else the standard is Peak. One day, the developer of soundforge will learn that macs are great and it'll raise some needed competition…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
posté ven. 27 avril 2007, 20:03
Message #4

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 12 oct. 01
Lieu : Kirkland
Membre no 2,002

Not sure there are Mac drivers for that Creative card.

Mac come standard with 24bit audio with Optical SPDIF I/O, some use the connection with the Apogee Mini Me.

Mac Pros use PCIe, not the old PCI.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 23:48
- © MacMusic 1997-2008