MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Analog Preamp, tla audio only decent option on budget?
pixelboy
posté lun. 16 mai 2005, 20:52
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 nov. 04
Lieu : LONDON - UK
Membre no 55,557

Hi there
I´m creating dance music basically on my PB G4 with Logic 7, Live and Soft synths.
I´m locking for a decent valve front end that allows me to do preety much the works, guitar, mic, warming up signal to connect to my emi since I feel as tha need for some unstable analog harmonics to be added to my signal.

The thing is that I cant find a decently priced valve preamp, I am thinking of TLA as friends tell me its good, the thing is that most of them have also compresser and eq, and probably I wont be using it (I preffer plug-ins).
So basically I want a good sinal warmer (pardon for the english) that allows me to add that extra something valve thing until overdrive

Any good sugestions?
Thanks
WWW.PIXEL82.COM[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
posté sam. 21 mai 2005, 16:10
Message #2

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 19 mars 03
Lieu : Umeå - SE
Membre no 14,645

It seems to me if you will use such a gadget for both guitar and mic-vocals.
Then you would definitely need to have a good EQ as well.
Either separately or built in to the preamp.

Reason for this - is that guitar amps - are NOT hifi by
any stretch of the imagination.
Most good/popular valve guitar amplfiers have a very colored sonic quality.
This coloring is INDEED what most guitarist want & prefer. (me included)

To use the valve pre amp for mic vocals you probably want a more natural
sonic quality, maybe tweak it a bit to suit the actual voice you recorded.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
pixelboy
posté sam. 21 mai 2005, 18:34
Message #3

Membre no 55,557

Hey There

Thats the things I´m going for warming up sgnals, either from the mac or guitars and vocal (and whatever really)
I´ve been thinking of getting a tla Ivory 5060, It has presets wich makes it quicker for a quick recording, has some eq, compressor and valves.
It seems a versatily all in one channelstrip and aparently can warm up the signal in an analog valve way, It also has the option of a digital out wich is quite nice to plug into my emagic emi 6|2 using the digital converters of better quality (I imagine).
What do u think of this option (Its like the top I can spend and I´m really stretching my budget)

Thanks

+Quote Post
Arnolfo
posté sam. 21 mai 2005, 20:18
Message #4

Inscrit : 04 juil. 03
Lieu : Porto - PT
Membre no 20,713

Here's a nice alternative: http://presonus.com/bluetubedp.html
Although, you can't go wrong with a TLAudio.
I own a Fatman 1 and am very happy with it; unfortunately, both Fatman 1 and 2 have been discontinued.
Check out the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro, it has tube emulation.
And for a lot less money, you have the Behringer ones (with real tubes in them).

Hope this helps wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixelboy
posté dim. 22 mai 2005, 18:50
Message #5

Membre no 55,557

Hey there thank you for your answers.
I´ve seen the presonos blue tube an it seems quite nice.
Regarding the behringer Id already seen it before but read some bad review about it, and some friends that own behringer matterial say its basically crap although I have some other completely happy with their mixer.
Wich of these options (tla 5060, blue tube or behringer) u find the best
Thanks a lot for the help

Cheers

WWW.PIXEL82.COM

+Quote Post
Arnolfo
posté dim. 22 mai 2005, 21:55
Message #6

Inscrit : 04 juil. 03
Lieu : Porto - PT
Membre no 20,713

Check these reviews out: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/arti...cles/ivory2.htm and http://presonus.com/BTDP-RES05.html

If you can afford something better, then don't go for the Behringers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
flemming
posté dim. 31 juil. 2005, 08:26
Message #7

Inscrit : 31 juil. 05
Lieu : Aarhus - DK
Membre no 68,317

The Ivories from TL Audio are actually quite good. I know several pro studios who use them for vocals and the like. Don't go for Behringers, it's bad karma and you WILL go to studio hell when you die! :-)

Seriously, though: The notion that you'll get warmth from using tube based gear is a lie. Don't believe the hype. There's no technical reason that a tube in the signal line makes your audio sound any warmer or fatter or bigger or sunnier or whatever. In fact, often tube gear have a tendency to sound a bit more nasal than solid state based gear. EQ A neumann U47 mic: It's NOT the most transparent and warm and lovely mic you'll ever come across. In fact it's quite hard sounding, compared to something like a U47FET. Same goes for mic pre's. When people talk about a warm analog sound, mostly they actually mean the sound of Neve preamps. And those are solid state., not tube. Myself, I've got a nice selection of tube and solid state gear here (tla desks and pres, fairchild and altec on the tube side, ssl, neve, focusrite isa, neumann, telefunken, siemens on the solid state side), and I by FAR prefer the sound of solid state, exactly because good quality non tube gear has a tendency to sound fatter and warmer than similar qualite tube gear.

Also, consider that making tube gear is more expensive than making non tube gear. So for your 500 quid of preamp, you prolly get more for your money if you go for non tube. But again, the TLA ivory series are kinda nice. Much more interesting than something like the rather poor sounding focusrite platinum series.

If in any way possible, try one out in your own studio. That's where it really matters. What sort of mics are you gonna be using?

+Quote Post
Jsegura
posté dim. 31 juil. 2005, 15:30
Message #8

Icône de groupe

Groupe : Team
Inscrit : 17 févr. 05
Lieu : La Laguna - ES
Membre no 60,731

Avalon 737 is really good. By its price, nothing approaches.

+Quote Post
flemming
posté dim. 31 juil. 2005, 15:34
Message #9

Inscrit : 31 juil. 05
Lieu : Aarhus - DK
Membre no 68,317

The Avalon IS really good, I agree. I find its EQ a bit, err, weird sounding, but the pre is NICE! For an all purpose mic pre with a more neutral sounding EQ I think I prefer the ISA220 or ISA430 from Focusrite (somewhat cheaper and somewhat more expensive than the Avalon). But given our friend's price range, these are all out of reach. Unfortunately.

Nothing beats a good pre! :-)

+Quote Post
OneDerBoy
posté lun. 1 août 2005, 21:03
Message #10

Inscrit : 28 juin 05
Lieu : Calgary - CA
Membre no 67,256

Just to be clear, tube warmth is NOT a myth; the issue is more complicated than technical specs can illustrate. This may not be something everyone can hear right away, but if you are at all sensitive to subtlety you will hear the difference, which, once recognized, is huge. Flemming's views seem at first glance to be a bit narrow on what is a very broad and facinating topic, and you shouldn't quickly dissmiss something that could help you someday.

There's nothing wrong with solid state gear when price is an issue, but when you establish yourself and money is more available, don't avoid tubes. Even though a qualitative comparison will invariably degenerate into opposing opinions and tastes, try to think of it as another colour on your palate; if someone says you don't need to paint with blue, in a sense they're right, you don't NEED to. But why limit yourself?

To get a better, more balanced view you all should read these: http://www.milbert.com/tstxt.htm
http://www.ccdemo.info/SportsAndHobbies/Tu...lectronics.html
http://www.decware.com/paper07.htm

Good luck. Just remeber to stay open to both as much as possible; every peice of gear can be great if you know how to use it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 21:55
- © 440 Forums 2011