MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Power Mac G4 Line, Improvements worth the money for audio?
salparadise99
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 00:13
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 27 juil. 02
Lieu : New York - US
Membre no 6,291

Are the improvements worth the money for audio?

Specifically:

It seems that there are very good graphics improvements (from what were already exceptional), but budgetwise I don't need better graphics, but rather optimal audio functionality.

Also, a couple of questions...

1) The Xserve technology that I think all of the new G4's come with seems to be a server based advantage. I am somewhat of a novice. ...Was Apple trying to design a superpower machine for creative people (like me who wants to dedicate my machine to recording music) and therefore assumed that when you are recording that your machine is functioning as a server as opposed to a home computer?

2) Is the Mac® OS X version 10.2 “Jaguar” designed for tasks such as audio recording? Have there been some good reviews on this yet?

biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
damann
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 02:42
Message #2

Advanced Member

Inscrit : 11 juin 02
Lieu : London - UK
Membre no 5,044

extra power is always useful for audio. wink.gif
dual processing particularly. under osx, certainly.
they have "optimal audio functionality" built in. smile.gif
xserve is indeed a "server based advantage", but watch this space for a few months.
cubase and nuendo. o.k, steinberg, already implement the networking/clustering of computers for audio purposes. it's not even platform specific!
apple have always tried, at least, to design "superpower machines for creative people". laugh.gif
jaguar represents apple's most serious commitment to audio/midi recording etc to date, to the point that they have taken over responsibility for this from their third party developers. rolleyes.gif
i think i answered your queries, other than to say that software support for audio/midi in 10.2 is where the only (temporary) problem actually exists.

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 12:22
Message #3

Maniac Member

Inscrit : 17 mai 02
Lieu : Broughton
Membre no 4,705

I think it's fair to say that Jaguar is ready, but the full range of Mac music software/hardware is not.

+Quote Post
salparadise99
posté lun. 9 sept. 2002, 14:10
Message #4

Rookie

Membre no 6,291

Rickenbacker,

Thanks. Would you say it's okay to purchase the Jag with a new G4 and just download software updates from Mac as things improve?

Which software/hardware in particular could use improvement? Is it audio-related?

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté mer. 11 sept. 2002, 12:52
Message #5

Maniac Member

Membre no 4,705

If I had £2,000 to spare, I'd definitely spring for one of the new 1GHz dual processor G4s (or maybe the dual 867 plus a 17" Apple display). But I don't. sad.gif

If you're prepared to be patient, yeah, why not? Go for Jaguar and over the next few months, all the audio and Midi options will eventually slide over to OS X. Logic is already there, which I think will definitely encourage everyone else. In fact, I was at Apple Expo Paris on Tuesday and saw a lot of OS X music stuff, notably Cubase SX which looks great.

Then finally you need the interface manufacturers to come out with drivers, but most of that work is nearly finished, too. I think within a couple of months there'll be a wide range of products available to choose from and build a terrific recording set-up.

I've got Reason, Live, Melodyne and Logic, with an Edirol UA-5 - all OS X compatible and I don't think that I personally need much more. Well, there's always techno lust for new gear, but that'll always be with us! I'm keeping that under control now my studio set-up is OS X compatible. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ruggedbeline
posté mer. 11 sept. 2002, 15:54
Message #6

Inscrit : 11 sept. 02
Lieu : UK
Membre no 7,543

what about the noisey fans in these new machines.
They are very loud.
people could email apple about this problem,
It doesn't cost to much for quiet fans surely. blink.gif

+Quote Post
salparadise99
posté jeu. 12 sept. 2002, 04:19
Message #7

Rookie

Membre no 6,291

wow really?..that's the first that I have heard that they are loud. Anyone else experience that?

That sure is a bummer for audio recording.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
posté jeu. 12 sept. 2002, 13:03
Message #8

Maniac Member

Membre no 4,705

Noisy fans, yep, people have mentioned that a lot. We're not talking loud in terms of Rolls Royce jet engines, but you still wouldn't want to record your vocal standing next to one.

BTW, in the current issue of MacUser (in the UK - macuser.co.uk), they review the dual 867MHz G4 and conclude that it's pretty good, but not significantly faster than a single processor G4. A lot of it probably is Apple simply wanting new machines on the market without any revolutionary performance to offer.

Any decent-spec G4 from the last year or so is still going to be an excellent machine for music.

+Quote Post
salparadise99
posté jeu. 12 sept. 2002, 17:07
Message #9

Rookie

Membre no 6,291

I wonder which one is faster is you were to make a head to head comparison of the single processor, and the new dual processor machine? Has anyone seen any articles yet with such a comparison?

+Quote Post
salparadise99
posté jeu. 12 sept. 2002, 17:20
Message #10

Rookie

Membre no 6,291

Here's a good one...they say that the fan isn't as noisy as the last line but that it's not saying much!!

Check it out:

http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/mach...ter_list_9.html

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - dimanche 28 avril 2024, 06:20
- © MacMusic 1997-2008