MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good Lp Recording?, Need advice on LP to CD-RW setup
Thebookdoc
posté dim. 21 déc. 2003, 15:27
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 21 déc. 03
Lieu : Getzville - US
Membre no 31,569

I do a lot with computers having a background in image editing, but I am pretty new to digital audio (in the recording sense). I was a hi-fi enthusiast in my teens and collected some 1500 LPs that I'd like to transfer to CD. I can stand doing it slowly over a period of years, but need some advice on hooking the stereo into the computer and making the digital conversion -- I'm OK burning the CDs. I've a pretty nice audio setup with a preamp, and assume I can hook to the G4 with one of the various outs from the preamp. However, that is where the magic stops. Then I start making assumptions. Here's obviously where I need help.

1. I would assume I can get an RCA IN PCI card? If so, recommendations? I can't seem to find what I am looking for, most being digital OUTs.

2. Software recommendations for analog/digital conversion? I would want to do limited editing at this point -- and perhaps none (pops and clicks -- similar to where I started with digital image editing).

Or is there a better way? I assume I'd not really need a mixer of any sort considering the preamp.

In the long run, I might want to do some recording. I have an old 4 track TEAC reel-to-reel, and used to do some audio production in an analog environment, but that was back in the college radio station. Perhaps there are suggestions for a simple system with potential for upgrade?

Thanks...forgive my ignorance if this is easier than it seems.

Richard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregaber
posté dim. 21 déc. 2003, 16:51
Message #2

Lieu : Cary - US
Membre no 31,563

I've used my Apple G4-400 mHz desktop successfully in transferring my LPs to CDs, but it came with an audio-in port. You did not say what type of computer you have.

Assuming you have a Mac and get a PCi card with audio-in [Macmall.com has an M-Audio card for $99 or I'm looking into a Griffin iMic for $35 for my Powerbook], all you need is Toast Titanium 5 or 6. It comes with another application [CD Spin Doctor] that you use first:

1. Hook up your stereo to the audio-in on your Mac.
2. Launch CD Spin Doctor [CDSD] to record the LP into one enormous AIFF file.
3. Use CDSD to define/name the individual tracks and clean up any scratches, pops, etc.
4. When done, click on the toaster icon to send the tracks to Toast.
5. Toast automatically launches, choose Audio, define the time between
tracks, and burn your CD.

CDSD is a rudimentary application; you can only clean up the scratches, pops etc and adjust the output level but you cannot modify the equalization. It's a bare bones application that enables you to transfer LPs to CDs and do cleanup; nothing more.

I've been happy with the results because i've transferred just the songs I wanted and didn't have to go out and buy the music all over again. This works great for LPs that only have a few songs you want, where it's not worth buying the whole CD. It's also good for LPs that are no longer in print or not available in CD.

This is not a quick task but again, if you don't have the ability or money to replace your LP collection, it's a way out.

Ce message a été modifié par gregaber - dim. 21 déc. 2003, 16:59.

+Quote Post
gregaber
posté lun. 22 déc. 2003, 18:45
Message #3

Membre no 31,563

Here's another option based on what I've learned in the past 24 hours....

I ended up buying an Edirol UA20 from the Apple Store. It enables you to run either a guitar, mic, MIDI instrument, or Line In from your stereo into your Mac's USB port so you don't need the audio-in card.

The USB port is used to both power the UA20 and transfer the audio into whatever application running on your Mac. Somewhere I also read the USB channel does not have near as much noise as the microphone port on computers. Not sure how true this is, but it certainly helps those who do not have a microphone port.

It's a perfect solution for me because it does everything I need and have a minimal amount of cables/hardware involved.

+Quote Post
michael_darling
posté dim. 4 janv. 2004, 02:20
Message #4

Inscrit : 04 janv. 04
Lieu : Denver - US
Membre no 32,384

gregaber-

1) Do you intend to still use CDSD with the USB connected Edirol UA20?

2) I have a PB G4 and could use the mic in, but have also heard that it induces some noise....

I want to convert some vinyl for another reason besides expense of replacement and rtacks being out of print. Some of those records have defects, flaws or unintentional audio additions that take my memory instnatly back to another place and time.

If there was only a way to easily recreate the acoustics of some of the places I have powerful memories of music: radio in the window, PA in the garage, etc.

MD

+Quote Post
gregaber
posté dim. 4 janv. 2004, 04:41
Message #5

Membre no 31,563

1) Yes - Current project is recording me playing classical piano in my living room. Am using Stereo Mic to Mic input on Edirol, then USB output to PB, using CDSD to record then export to Toast to burn. The only thing I've noticed is the Input Level seems low [watching CDSD during recording] even when Edirol input turned all the way up but when I burned a CD it was quite loud when played back on my stereo. Compared the same classical piano piece on a store-bought CD to my playing and mine was noticeably louder at same volume setting. I picked up some minor buzzing in my recording so I can turn the input level down a bit and hope the buzzing will go away. It's very minor and I have to turn it up real loud to hear it, louder than you'd ever listen to classical piano music. Just haven't had a chance to verify lower input level makes buzzing go away.

2) I'm done doing the LP conversions, however I used the Line In that came on my G4 desktop. Stereo to Line in on G4, used CDSD to record and clean up pops/scratches/etc then Toast to burn CD. Worked great. No complaints. For your LP conversion I would try the Mic In on the PB. No harm in trying. Worst case, you go out and buy the Edirol UA20 and it will definitely do the trick. Either way, be prepared to sink some time into LP to CD conversion process. It takes a while because you listen to everything twice; once during the recording session and again during the cleanup of pops/scratches.

Ce message a été modifié par gregaber - dim. 4 janv. 2004, 04:43.

+Quote Post
iquana
posté lun. 12 janv. 2004, 03:53
Message #6

Inscrit : 12 janv. 04
Lieu : Edmonton - CA
Membre no 32,976

Just starting to do some recording on my G4 myself. If you are looking for a very good set of articles on how to set up your system to record from LP's or cassette tapes I would advise you to head over to a site called About This Particular MacIntosh (ATPM.com). They publish a monthly newsletter on all things MacIntosh. On their site you should look for back issues of their newsletter from 2003. Look for issues #903 (March), #904 (April) and #905 (May). Their are three very good articles on what hardware you will need, what software you need, how to set up your system, how to record, how to clean up your recording, how to burn, and very good, clear, precise information on how simple the process really is. I have set my system up with an iMic which hooks up to a USB port and I use Amadeus 11 to do the cleaning up and final seperation of tracks. I have recorded some cassette tapes and am trying out some LP's. Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - mardi 15 oct. 2024, 12:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008