MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
Bienvenue invité

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Is Better: 1 Fast Cpu Or 2 Slower Cpu's G4?
tdm71
posté mer. 24 sept. 2003, 21:38
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 24 sept. 03
Lieu : Getzville - US
Membre no 25,383

Looking to upgrade my current G4 and this might be an dumb question but then again it might not.

Would it be better (better meaning: faster, more stable, less cpu load, etc..) to have one G4 with one fast cpu (1.25 gig for example) or say a slower G4 (800, 867, etc..) with dual cpu's?

I would be using the G4 to do audio, soft-synth, sample, etc. and basically anything audio related.

Maybe its an obvious question and answer, but just thought I would ask before I buy.
THANKS for the info!!! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 26 sept. 2003, 03:50
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

A double 800 will give you a 1.5 equivalent roughly…

Note that the software support of multiple processor is not the same save on OSX (where the system dispatches work on both)

In OS9
PT doesn't use the 2nd proc.
DP uses both equally
Logic uses one for MIDI the other for Audio
Cubase I don't know.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
darrenMclaud
posté ven. 17 oct. 2003, 19:40
Message #3

Inscrit : 20 févr. 03
Lieu : Wanaque - US
Membre no 12,775

DP3.1 under OS9.2.2 does not use the processors symmetrically. Processor 1 does the bulk of the business, processor 2 does background stuff. In this case go with the faster single.

If you are running OSX than all is beautiful.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté ven. 17 oct. 2003, 22:09
Message #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

The dispatch of process in DP/OS9 is on a duty basis, the process is assigned to whichever less stressed processor there is (as far as I've understood). So it doesn't mean strict equal repartition, but "intelligent" use of ressources (this si maybe a big term to use as this kind of tricks is of the type precisely to show the celverness of developpers). So a heavy process can pin down a processor while the other is rather light in duty, all depends of you use. But each process can be on either processor, all depends of the CPU% available.

It is clearly a better solution if well implemented than the Logic way which ends into a waste as MIDI is way less sressful to CPU than Audio treatment.

Now to return to the start, actual bi G4 are tremendous value to work in OS9 save if you work in Logic with mainly audio or in PT.

The Small G5s (bye bye OS9 sad.gif are cool but compatibility issues are still to be cleared (PT/Digi Users a news is coming on that)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Xajen
posté sam. 18 oct. 2003, 06:52
Message #5

Inscrit : 11 oct. 03
Lieu : Knoxville - US
Membre no 26,536

if you can wait 6 months, i would suggest waiting on a entry level G5, should be around the same price range(maybe a little more) at that time.

What Ram is in the 1.25 ?

if the Ram is the same bus/amount then go for the dual 800, since most "higher power apps" tend to divide the workload of the system. But if the 1.25 is using like DDR ram, then i would have to go with it, since that is a little bit more of an edge over sdram.

if it came down to it, i would suggest trying to get the fastest Dual processor you can, and wait LATER to upgrade the other stuff in a system. you can Add more ram, HDs, better video, etc.. down the road. You just don't add a new cpu to a mac (atleast i don't think it is cost effect to add those pci cpu cards)

I would not buy ram from apple either, they are extremly expensive. Infact i would suggest you buy the mac somewhere else online to avoid taxes.

Xajen

I hoped this helped some.

Ce message a été modifié par Xajen - sam. 18 oct. 2003, 06:53.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - samedi 18 mai 2024, 03:36
- © MacMusic 1997-2008