MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External Firewire Hds And Os X Partitions, slightly different angles then prior...
anarchosyn
posté mer. 19 févr. 2003, 10:45
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 18 févr. 03
Lieu : Portland - US
Membre no 12,562

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and new to mac audio (but have been working on experimental electronic projects, in windows midi and cv / din-synch, for 7+ years).

I have yet to purchase my new studio heart, which I plan to be a g4 867 with 1ghz ram, but whilst thinking things over today, I began to wonder if I should invest in a decent firewire HD for recording purposes. The obvious answer is yes, at least if I wish to keep a non-fragmented drive together, but I'm at a loss for the logistics for keeping an external setup optimum.

Basically, I understand the concept of recording my raw, real world data to the HD.. but is their any harm to then resaving the resulting files (cropped and effexed) to the TiBook's HD for storage? Or would a better solution be to keep all the audio on the external drive, never allowing the primary drive to be cluttered by samples? I realise I can make either option work, especially in OS X, but what is the ideal? btw- I do intend to be OS X / audio only with the g4 (i have a pc for everything else).

Secondly, on other forums i've seen people speak out against the idea of partitioning os x...
( for example: http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html#Anchor-32647 ). Of course though, these sites are not geared towards audio production / studio enviroments. With the information against partitioning in mind, should I go ahead and do it anyhow? I plan to have a 40 gig internal HD, how much should I allocate to os x?

Thanks in advance.. I apologize for the fact my questions are similar to a few that already have dedicated threads, but I wanted to highlight some specific issues that wouldn't fit in other discussions.

(btw- check out-> http://www.osxaudio.com ..great site cool.gif )

Ce message a été modifié par anarchosyn - mer. 19 févr. 2003, 10:47.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté sam. 1 mars 2003, 03:19
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Well… here the common attitude is to make partitions separate at least for the audio files. So one for OSX one for the audio, and you can wipe out regularly the second one to have a clean place all the time.

Also, why use a firewire drive ? You can add an internal IDE if you want (it'll take you a few % of processor though)

Some pro here are using (they are still not on OS X mainly, mind that) the external firewire HD as a backup and use internal drives in IDE and/SCSI for the audio.

Keep in mind that you must play safety first. so don't trust a drive, and have clear purposes of drive at hand. Where is your system, where is your work, where is an eventual backup of the files. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 10 mai 2024, 18:11
- © 440 Forums 2011