MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Portable Hard Drive?, enclosure, HD, trademarks, noise…
scaly wonder
posté mer. 12 mai 2004, 08:41
Message #1

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 04 janv. 04
Lieu : Bath - UK
Membre no 32,438

i run logic 6 on a new 17" G4, but have performance problems - advice is to use an external portable firewire drive - anyone recommend a good 7200 speed drive?, also what do i put where - would i put the plug ins on the dirve as well - how would they be seen?, all help welcome
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
posté mer. 12 mai 2004, 17:08
Message #2

Groupe :
Inscrit : --
Membre no 0

What you need is an external firewire hard drive. La Cie makes some good ones.

You'd just plug it in to your firewire input on the PB and you're all set; the icon for the drive will show up on your desktop.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté mer. 12 mai 2004, 17:33
Message #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Check that the enclosure is oxford 911 or 922 (FW800). Enclosures like the ICE ones are great (no fan, but a wallwart).

Mind beforehand if you need an enclosure that runs from the FW port juice. I don't remember if the ICE do that.

For the drive itself, Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor or Seagate are ok by me, but not all are noisy the same way.

BTW: No cross posting PLEASE angry.gif

Ce message a été modifié par lepetitmartien - sam. 5 juin 2004, 17:05.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
gemy
posté lun. 17 mai 2004, 02:20
Message #4

Inscrit : 24 mars 04
Lieu : Trondheim - NO
Membre no 39,225

Hi scaly wonder

Check out tha OWC Firewire Drives.
I use two of them, and they rock…
Both Oxford 922.

I have one for Audio files, and one for Video.

Both combi 400 / 800.

Go to the eshop.macsales.com.

cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
adriancom
posté ven. 4 juin 2004, 20:58
Message #5

Inscrit : 21 août 03
Lieu : State College - US
Membre no 23,343

The state of the art notebook size (2.5") fast drive is the IBM-Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM (called Travelstar 7K60) at about $230; they make also a 80GB 5400 RPM (called 5K80) at about the same price, used in the Apple 17" PowerBooks; they also make the smaller iPod drives. I bought a 2.5" FW400 enclosure separately for cca $100. You can then also put your PB drive in the enclosure and the 7K60 in your PB, if speed is critical.

Good Luck,

Adrian

check the manufacturer's site at
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/hgst...fa0466460e4f0a0

+Quote Post
adriancom
posté ven. 4 juin 2004, 21:01
Message #6

Membre no 23,343

What I mentioned before are the (shirt)pocket size drives; if you go to bigger sizes, the speed and interface speeds are higher.

All the best,

Adrian

+Quote Post
adriancom
posté ven. 4 juin 2004, 21:06
Message #7

Membre no 23,343

For use, you can plug/unplug it live. You have to remember to ALWAYS EJECT the image of the drive (cmd-E) before you unplug it, otherwise it will yell at you, and it may not show up the next time. If that happens, the Apple Disk Utility program may help.

All the best,

Adrian

+Quote Post
ernene
posté sam. 5 juin 2004, 09:59
Message #8

Inscrit : 02 déc. 03
Lieu : Rome - IT
Membre no 30,190

Sorry if I join to this topic, but I'm quite interested in an FW HD, and all you say is absloutly usefull for me aswell!!!!, but, as I'm using M-AUDIO FIREWIRE 410 on a Powerbook G4 1Gb, with 768 ram, os X 10.3.4, the question is: IS THERE ANY PROBLEM TO USE A HARD DISK VIA FIREWIRE AND THE AUDIO INTERFACE FW TOGHETHER????
All details or anything you can say to me will be more than great!!!, so thanks a lot....

ERNENE

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté sam. 5 juin 2004, 17:10
Message #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

Ernene, first DON'T SHOUT, we can read wink.gif

Now, you can use a FW HD on a different FW bus, if it must be on the same, it shuld be told in the docummentation if the first peripheral on the chain should be the interface or the drive. If not, just try. Some FW interface are more annoying on this than others. As i'm PCI supported for that, I can't tell more precisely.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
ernene
posté sam. 5 juin 2004, 23:59
Message #10

Inscrit : 02 déc. 03
Lieu : Rome - IT
Membre no 30,190

ok, I won't SHOUT anymore... but I was desperate... I do not want to buy something that if I'm not sure that I can use it... and already have the FW 410... (anyway, big letters are clearer for me since I'm not sure if my english is that clear... yeah, I know, bigger or louder does not mean better)

So, lepetitmartien, thanks a lot... I'll buy, read, try, and then let you know how it goes, it could be useful for someone else...

Thanks again.

Ernene.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - vendredi 10 mai 2024, 02:04
- © 440 Forums 2011