MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visiteurs connectés

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio On Second Internal Hd - Too Much Heat ?
Milca
posté dim. 22 juil. 2007, 06:17
Message #1

Rookie

Groupe : Members
Inscrit : 25 oct. 04
Lieu : San Diego - US
Membre no 53,854

I’m planning to do whole new HD set up on my computer
I have Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 ( early 2005) and I want to buy dual bay “hot-swap” enclosure SeriTek/2N2 with PCI - X card SeriTek/1VE2+2.

The reason for that was that I was gonna use WD raptor 150 GB internally which needs host card with my G5 and also I was gonna RAID O two drives externally for my sample libraries.( I’ve mentioning Firmtek and Firmtek products -( just in a case somebody have them) but it does not really matter - my main question ( which is stated later on in this post ) has more of a general meaning.
Anyways They told me that It would be better to avoid using second internal hard drive ( first one would be the raptor on internal part of 2x2 combo PCI - X card and second one would be seagate barracuda)
and recommended me to go with my audio - “external - SATA ” and reason for that suppose to be AC power (of G5 powermac ) which is not capable in some cases take huge amounts of heat and that “replacing or fixing problem connected with AC power is” apparently not cheap.
Until now I was using only one internal HD as a boot drive - So basically my question is whether they are right about not installing second internal HD into my mac or their advice should actually push me towards buying 4 bay external HD from them ?
I know that a lot o guys are using audio on second internal HD so better stated question would be - “how much audio or even samples are we talking about to over heat g5’s internal highways?”
or another words if I have chance to go with for bay external enclosure for may audio and sample libraries - would that ease “somehow” my My G5 where would be basically only the boot drive with OSX and applications?
Hopefully I did not make that too confusing.
Can anyone please give some input - what would you do in my shoes. I would really appreciate your feed back.
Thanks for your time.
Milan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
posté lun. 23 juil. 2007, 15:59
Message #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Icône de groupe

Groupe : Editors
Inscrit : 23 déc. 01
Lieu : Paris - FR
Membre no 2,758

the cooling system is way oversized to handle whatever you put it through (as long as you regularly clean dust coming inside, at least once or twice a year in a normal environment). So it should work fine, and I don't remember a single user here with audio on the second HD in his G5 to have complained…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invité(s) et 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s))
0 membre(s) :

Version bas débit - jeudi 28 mars 2024, 23:19
- © 440 Forums 2011